The Student Room Group

Query from a Learner Driver

Hi guys,

Sorry if I've put this in the wrong section!

I'm currently learning to drive, and am close to sitting my test. One major question that's sticking out at me is about indicating when there's nobody around you. For example, if there are no cars behind you and you want to switch to another lane, do you indicate?

The reason I'm asking is because my driving instructor says not to, as it's "unnecessary indicating" and can be a minor fault. So I was happy with this for a while. Then when I started going out with my dad he said that's nonsense, and that you can't get a fault for indicating as long as your indication is correct. Everyone in my family says this, so I'm not sure whether to agree with them or my instructor.

I get you should always listen to your instructor, but I don't know, something about this scenario is niggling away at me and I want it to be cleared up.

Any advice or confirmation would be amazing!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Moved to learning to drive
Maybe it’s personal preference.

Your driving instructor won’t be doing the test, I’m not saying ignore his advice but indicators are there for when you make a manoeuvre such as changing lanes and turning in general.

Personally I would indicate whether there are cars behind or not! As you are performing a manoeuvre. Under test conditions I would indicate then once you have passed it’s just personal preference.

So good luck on a pass! :-)
My instructor always taught me just to indicate regardless just to keep in good habits. Pretty sure I indicated when nobody was around and never got marked down, don't see why you would tbh.
Thanks for the responses guys!

Whenever I do indicate when nothing is there he pulls me up for it and says it can be a fault. I just went along with it until my family started pointing it out to me.

I just don't get why he would lie about it unless he wanted me to fail to buy more lessons! Which I'm aware could actually be a thing, haha!
Original post by DavdWalton1997
I'm currently learning to drive, and am close to sitting my test. One major question that's sticking out at me is about indicating when there's nobody around you. For example, if there are no cars behind you and you want to switch to another lane, do you indicate?

The reason I'm asking is because my driving instructor says not to, as it's "unnecessary indicating" and can be a minor fault. So I was happy with this for a while. Then when I started going out with my dad he said that's nonsense, and that you can't get a fault for indicating as long as your indication is correct. Everyone in my family says this, so I'm not sure whether to agree with them or my instructor.
I strongly disagree with your instructor. Indicating alerts those around you of your intentions. In the, hopefully rare, case where you have not seen another vehicle or pedestrian, it can be vital to avoiding an accident.

IMO, not indicating is a very bad habit to get into. Don't get me started on those that don't indicate, or thinks that indicating allows them to do something really stupid. I could launch into quite a rant, but I'l refrain for now.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Always always indicate. Holy crap I can hardly believe your instructor is telling you differently.

You're never gonna be 100% certain what other road users are around, there could be someone behind you on a crest of a hill or something, or a cyclist nearby, or even just a pedestrian. Indicators aren't there just for other cars. And of course the situation could change between the moment you start to indicate and the moment you actually change position.
Reply 7
Original post by DavdWalton1997
Thanks for the responses guys!

Whenever I do indicate when nothing is there he pulls me up for it and says it can be a fault. I just went along with it until my family started pointing it out to me.

I just don't get why he would lie about it unless he wanted me to fail to buy more lessons! Which I'm aware could actually be a thing, haha!

Are you 100% sure that he's saying your indication is unnecessary because no one else is around? Are there no other reasons why he thinks it's unnecessary indication?

It's seems a strange thing for an instructor to say when it obviously isn't a fault to indicate when there's no other cars around. There could be pedestrians around of cars that you cannot see. You should indicate if it's correct to do so and it's irrelevant if you can see cars or not.
Original post by Notnek
Are you 100% sure that he's saying your indication is unnecessary because no one else is around? Are there no other reasons why he thinks it's unnecessary indication?

It's seems a strange thing for an instructor to say when it obviously isn't a fault to indicate when there's no other cars around. There could be pedestrians around of cars that you cannot see. You should indicate if it's correct to do so and it's irrelevant if you can see cars or not.

Can 100% guarantee that's what he's saying. I even doubted it the first time I heard it after what my family told me. It's not until I heard it again on two occasions in my last lesson that I was certain that's what he's saying. That's what's led me to come here for answers.

Everyone seems to overwhelmingly agree that you should always indicate regardless of what's around you. Definitely what I'll do from now on.
Reply 9
This article is surprising/enlightening:

https://www.diaryofanadi.co.uk/?p=17076

As a result, some will advise their learners to always signal whenever they move off or pull up. This is wrong, even though the examiners will nearly always let it go if the correct observations have been made and any other traffic allowed for. Personally, I always teach my own pupils to signal only if there is a need it gets them checking their mirrors although some will fall back towards signalling when it isn’t really needed as their lessons progress. I don’t really have a problem with that… as I say, as long as they have checked their mirrors first.

...Although a PDI who was doing their Part 2 test would probably pick up a fault if they signalled when no one was there.

I don't understand what the problem with always signalling is when moving off / pulling up. Does anyone know why it's a problem if no one else is around?
As everyone else says, you should always indicate - just because you can never ever be sure who is there and without indicating your intention it can cause serious accidents. Your instructor, if they're telling you exactly what you say, isn't correct. Even to keep good habit, you should absolutely indicate.
Original post by Notnek
This article is surprising/enlightening:

https://www.diaryofanadi.co.uk/?p=17076

I don't understand what the problem with always signalling is when moving off / pulling up. Does anyone know why it's a problem if no one else is around?

I was told by my instructor not to bother indicating when moving off for the reason: I wasn't parked... which never made any sense. It also only seemed to apply if there was nobody around. Although because I'm stubborn and know best (pshhht) I ignored him and indicated on my test when moving off, was not given a fault and passed. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Paracosm
I was told by my instructor not to bother indicating when moving off for the reasons of: I wasn't parked... which never made any sense. It also only seemed to apply if there was nobody around. Although because I'm stubborn and know best (pshhht) I ignored him and indicated on my test when moving off, was not given a fault and passed. :smile:

The article says that indicating when no one is around wouldn’t be a fault in a test but they don’t encourage it. I’m wondering why they don’t encourage it.
Original post by Notnek
The article says that indicating when no one is around wouldn’t be a fault in a test but they don’t encourage it. I’m wondering why they don’t encourage it.

It makes no sense to me... do we have any ADIs on the site? :curious:
Reply 14
In advanced driving, some instructors teach not to indicate if nobody is around. This is because you then get used to having to look and decide whether to indicate, which should encourage better planning and observation. If you just indicate every time then you just indicate out of habit, and if things become too routine then there's no thought behind it and that's when mistakes can be made.

But if you're just taking your test then you're not an advanced driver.
Reply 15

Here's another quote from an ADI:

Signalling as a response to it being a habit can lessen concentration and lead to driving errors.

Signalling as a response to a concious decision based on evaluating the surroundings continues to encourage appropriate concentration levels.

If a driver signals to park up every time, rather than as a response to effective observations and assessment of the information gained by those observations, it can quickly result in ineffective observations or complete lack of observations all together.

Ineffective observations can then have knock on effects such as stopping unsafely etc.

signalling by habit can also lead into misleading signals that might result in confusion to other road users.

Signals should be applied if they inform and assist other road users.
Signals should not be misleading

If a signal is applied out of habit, how does the driver know if it could be misleading or not?

http://www.driving-instructor.tv/forum/thread/4575/unnecessary-signals

I can see what they're saying about signalling as a habit without observations is a problem. But I don't see this as a reason to not signal every time you pull over.

Their argument seems to be that you should only signal as a response to observations so that it doesn't become a habit. I think telling learners to observe and signal is a better idea but I I'm not an ADI...
Original post by Notnek
Here's another quote from an ADI:

http://www.driving-instructor.tv/forum/thread/4575/unnecessary-signals

I can see what they're saying about signalling as a habit without observations is a problem. But I don't see this as a reason to not signal every time you pull over.

Their argument seems to be that you should only signal as a response to observations so that it doesn't become a habit. I think telling learners to observe and signal is a better idea but I I'm not an ADI...

OK, that sort of makes sense actually. But I tend to agree with you more... :wink:

Original post by Notnek

I'm not ADI, but it seems the logic is to avoid falling into the bad habit of using signalling as a replacement for good observation. i.e. the lazy driver becomes complacent.
Reply 18
OK, that sort of makes sense actually. But I tend to agree with you more... :wink:

Yes it's making more sense to me than it did earlier. But going back to the OP, I think that teaching a learner to only signal when others are around is risky.
Original post by Notnek
Yes it's making more sense to me than it did earlier. But going back to the OP, I think we're all in agreement that teaching a learner to only signal when others are around is probably not the best idea.

Completely agreed. I wouldn't dream of not signalling tbh. Even when taking into account what I have now learned. I couldn't live with myself if someone in my blind spot/secluded area walked out and didn't anticipate my actions and I caused an accident or what have you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending