The Student Room Group

Query from a Learner Driver

Scroll to see replies

Did a mock test today which I unfortunately failed for one serious fault (not spotting a road bump quick enough and driving over it in 3rd!). Got 8 minors and one of them was again for unnecessarily indicating when there was nobody there.

On the official DVSA marking sheet there is a section for necessary signalling, but surely you wouldn't get a fault in the real thing for this.

Should I ask the examiner before my test? I feel it gets me off on the wrong foot with the examiner if I do that!

Still just a little concerned about this
Original post by DavdWalton1997
Did a mock test today which I unfortunately failed for one serious fault (not spotting a road bump quick enough and driving over it in 3rd!). Got 8 minors and one of them was again for unnecessarily indicating when there was nobody there.

On the official DVSA marking sheet there is a section for necessary signalling, but surely you wouldn't get a fault in the real thing for this.

Should I ask the examiner before my test? I feel it gets me off on the wrong foot with the examiner if I do that!

Don’t ask your examiner, gives off the impression you’re not prepared.

I’d say just keep indicating and see if you pick a minor up for it in the actual test.

I’ve always been taught to indicate when moving to the right hand lane but you don’t have to indicate when moving back into the left hand lane (unless you were going to take a turn coming up or exiting a carriageway).
Reply 22

Wow I never knew you could get a minor for this. When I was doing my test I made sure that I checked my mirrors when no one was there and signaled when no one was there - I thought not doing this would cause a minor!

I wonder what would have happened if you signaled when no one was there but then a pedestrian appeared that neither you or the examiner spotted. Would that then be necessary signalling and you wouldn't get a minor?

@Sheepy what say you about all this?
(edited 6 years ago)
On the official DVSA marking sheet there is a section for necessary signalling, but surely you wouldn't get a fault in the real thing for this

I indicate almost all the time when turning in/out of somewhere, even if it's dead. What's to tell someone who has approached from another junction or blind corner that you're about to do otherwise? The only time you have no reason to indicate is if you can only theoretically travel in one direction, like at the end of the road if you can only turn left no point indicating left. Example of unnecessary indicating is indicating too early or not cancelling it after turning.

Original post by Notnek
Wow I never knew you could get a minor for this. When I was doing my test I made sure that I checked my mirrors when no one was there and signaled when no one was there - I thought not doing this would cause a minor!

I wonder what would have happened if you signaled when no one was there but then a pedestrian appeared that neither you or the examiner spotted. Would that then be necessary signalling and you wouldn't get a minor?

@Sheepy what say you about all this?

I mean in terms of mirrors, only way you can know no-one is there is by checking them lol.
Reply 24

I just realised that you said this was a mock test. It could be that your instructor just likes to push home their signalling advice but actually they realise that this wouldn't cause a fault in the real thing.

I think you should signal even if no one is there in your real test. To me this seems safer than not signalling, which could be a major if you should have actually signaled. A single minor isn't that much of a big deal anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)

You would've got a minor for not indicating, but you should always indicate when changing directions (and it's good practice to do it, even when there's no one about). However, you would've got a minor if you indicated too early.

If you didn't indicate early, then I'm not sure why the instructor gave you a minor for that.

I always indicate when changing directions, no matter if there's cars around me or not.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
You would've got a minor for not indicating, but you should always indicate when changing directions (and it's good practice to do it, even when there's no one about). However, you would've got a minor if you indicated too early.

If you didn't indicate early, then I'm not sure why the instructor gave you a minor for that.

I always indicate when changing directions, no matter if there's cars around me or not.

Nah he definitely said the reason i got it was because there was nobody there - therefore it wasn't necessary.

For me, I can't get and don't want to get out of the habit of always indicating when changing lanes. I just can't see a single negative in correctly indicating that you're changing lanes.
At what stage is nobody else around? Can you see a cyclist half a mile away standing behind a lamp post? I think if you take your test in the middle of the Sahara then you don’t need to indicate. Otherwise it’s probably a good idea.
Original post by Canterbury bloke
At what stage is nobody else around? Can you see a cyclist half a mile away standing behind a lamp post? I think if you take your test in the middle of the Sahara then you don’t need to indicate. Otherwise it’s probably a good idea.

Aye, certainly seems that way.
Nah he definitely said the reason i got it was because there was nobody there - therefore it wasn't necessary.

For me, I can't get and don't want to get out of the habit of always indicating when changing lanes. I just can't see a single negative in correctly indicating that you're changing lanes.

If you habitually indicate then you will get lazy with observations, if you carry out observations to make a decision whether someone will benefit from the signal then you have the answer and either signal or don't.

Contradicting myself totally now, for junctions and roundabouts, always indicate appropriately as someone could come from different direction at the last moment.

Moving off from side of road: bang on an indicator and go. No observations or blind spot done. What's the consequences. Or, carry out effective observations and make a decision whether there's anyone around to benefit from a signal being given and either give one or not depending on the answer. Same with pulling up - first thing you HAVE to do is check mirrors and then you decide if anyone's around to benefit from a signal.

For passing parked vehicles, could a signal be misleading? For example road off to the right and if you indicate right to pass a parked car could other road users think you're taking the road on the right? If you're holding pack in the correct position, that's telling other roads users what you're intending to do without an indicator being used.

If I got caught out by something coming fast from the opposite direction and it looked like I was parked close to a parked vehicle as opposed to just waiting for the oncoming vehicle to pass, I would put an indicator on to let others behind know my intentions.

For changing lanes, I would indicate moving left to right in case there's something that comes up quickly, or if changing lanes to overtake in case the vehicle I'm about to overtake decides that they want to get into the lane I'm going to be moving into. Right to left, I would only indicate if there's a road user sitting on my bumper and benefits from letting them know that you're about to move back over to the left lane after an overtake for example. Otherwise, road users should be expecting you to move back to the left lane as that's the normal driving position.

Signals have to be correct, necessary, timed and meaningful. No point giving it two flashes as nobody is benefiting from that for example. Also remember that a signal isn't just indicators - your road position can be a good signal to others (if they're paying attention).

I suspect your instructor is trying to get you into the mindset of thoughtful signalling instead of habitual signalling. That's certainly what I try and get my pupils to do. I wouldn't fault someone for signalling right to change lanes as long as there was nothing else that would have made the indication misleading (or potentially misleading).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by EvilShubunkin
Snip

OT - nice to see an ADI posting here, hope we see more of you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending