The Student Room Group
Reply 1
My friend applied to Oxford because the course was less academic. I'm not sure how much there is in it though - I think both courses place a lot of emphasis on the academic side of music rather than the practical. But there certainly seems very little chance to do practical music as part of the course at Cambridge - that said, there are loads of opportunities to do extracurricular stuff.

If I were you I'd get hold of a prospectus for each place and read into the nitty-gritty details of each course, to see which one you feel would suit you better :smile:
MadNatSci
My friend applied to Oxford because the course was less academic. I'm not sure how much there is in it though - I think both courses place a lot of emphasis on the academic side of music rather than the practical. But there certainly seems very little chance to do practical music as part of the course at Cambridge - that said, there are loads of opportunities to do extracurricular stuff.

If I were you I'd get hold of a prospectus for each place and read into the nitty-gritty details of each course, to see which one you feel would suit you better :smile:

Cambridge is much better. Both are very academic. Oxford will be easier to get into (unless you apply to worcester because of Robert Saxton). I think Cambridge is a bit more academic but both will allow you to do general topics like fugue, aesthetics, schenkerian analysis etc. The Cambriddge course is generally seen as better as it is more up to date (although obviously you are looking for a reasonably old-fashioned course). From what I have heard the interviews at Cam are tougher but it will vary from college to college - there are a few standard things you'll be expected to do like harmonizing a Bach chorale in an hour, harmonizing a short melody at the piano, naming chords/intervals, sightreading (often a classical string quartet). You'll probably have some analysis to do and musicological questions in the interview. You'll have to take some essays along andd some colleges may ask you to do a timed piece of writing.

You can PM me about cam interviews and stuff (I had the "pleasure" of having them at three different colleges because I was pooled)

MB
I've spoken to someone at Oxford (New College) who does music. He hinted to me he didn't like the course, and recommended that if I wanted to do music I should apply to Cambridge. This was also highly advised by my 2 music teachers at school, one who went to Oxford and one who went to Cambridge.
Hmm, I should do some more research on Robert Saxton, I can imagine he's doing my instrumental scholarship audition. :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Cvb
OP
MadNatSci

Thanks for the advice! Which college is your friend at? I've looked into both courses and am going to open days at each institution...hopefully they will help me make at my mind :smile: Yep...I've heard about the music opportunities at Cambridge, seems to be very good. Cxxx
This may seem a little obvious, but I would highly scrutinise the course content of both Oxford and Cambridge courses - that might help you make up your mind.
Is it true if you're a Musician at Christ Church (Oxford) you get a grand piano in your bedroom for your 2nd year?
Jools
Is it true if you're a Musician at Christ Church (Oxford) you get a grand piano in your bedroom for your 2nd year?

Generally at any oxbridge college you get either a piano or a good weighted electric piano in your room for all the years you spend in college residence,

MB
musicboy
Generally at any oxbridge college you get either a piano or a good weighted electric piano in your room for all the years you spend in college residence

I'm not sure that's true, I know lots of musicians who just use music room facilities and don't have a piano in their room.
Reply 9
Cvb
OP
Jools
I'm not sure that's true, I know lots of musicians who just use music room facilities and don't have a piano in their room.

really?? well you're definitely supposed to have an upright piano or a keyboard with headphones at oxbridge. Maybe some just don't have enough...?! xxx
Cvb
Thanks for the advice! Which college is your friend at? I've looked into both courses and am going to open days at each institution...hopefully they will help me make at my mind :smile: Yep...I've heard about the music opportunities at Cambridge, seems to be very good. Cxxx

She's starting at New College in October, so a pretty musical one :smile:

Edit: incidentally, I think all musicians at Cambridge get a piano or electronic keyboard in their rooms, although from what I've seen they almost alwasy get the keyboard rather than the piano.
Reply 11
Cvb
hi, can anyone advise me on whether I should take my course at Oxford or Cambridge? Everyone I know applying to Oxbridge for music applys to Cambridge. I've heard the music is more vibrant at Cam but is more academic. The interview is supposibly harder. Help... :confused: thanks xxx

cambridge is better - my sister supervises first year music undergrads there :P

Latest

Trending

Trending