The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I have yet to decide on Cardiff or Bristol ( I have yet to visit Bristol uni ), I had a conditional for Manchester - whilst being more prestigious I visited it and it really wasnt for me... so far my gut feeling is saying cardiff but see what kinda feeling I get from Bristol when I see it.
Bristol is more prestigious than Cardiff or Manchester. Don't get me wrong, I applied to all three, but go to Bristol... you won't regret it! Feel free to PM me if you want to know more.
Reply 42
Bristol is certainly better than Cardiff.
jkyng1
Bristol is certainly better than Cardiff.

It is also better than Manchester, particularly in the legal world where Bristol is regarded as being on a slightly higher level alongside places such as Durham, Nottingham and KCL.
Reply 44
all these this uni's better than this one arguements make me unneccessarily paranoid!

As i said before - Seriously, there is no point, regardless of reputation, of going somewhere you wouldn't be able to work to your best at.

However with your reasoning as to why you dont want to go to bristol i'm not sure this would happen..
Everybody I know loves being at Bristol, it's such a nice uni. I only know two people who have dropped out. One of them didn't like being away from her boyfriend, so she transferred into second year at Reading so she could live at home. But she seriously made no effort to make friends. The other realised she hated her course, and Bristol didn't offer any other courses she really wanted to do, so she moved to Southampton.

Don't worry about going home, because there are regular direct trains from Bristol to Southampton which aren't very expensive if you book them a week in advance, so it's easy enough to get home when you want to.
Reply 46
My opinion, Bristol.
Reply 47
everyone is just saying bristol is better.
but it probably comes down to personal preference.
Reply 48
I think this is a stupid dilemma. Of course pick Bristol. the fact that people would even consider s'ton over bristol is annoying. How can u give up a place to study at a top law institution for the sake of one much worse uni being closer to mummy? Im sorry to put it blunty but it is a ridiculous consideration. Prestige absolutey matters and even if it didn't, I'd suggest you go to Bristol to get on your feet and learn to fly - you have to do it at some point as we all do.
Reply 49
Im in the situation but rather i have offers for mechanical engineering at both universities at AAB (any subjects)

I liked the university at southampton more and fairly disliked the one at bristol but i never saw where i would be living. However ive heard bristol is a nicer city by far..

which one?
Reply 50
hot_soup
Im in the situation but rather i have offers for mechanical engineering at both universities at AAB (any subjects)

I liked the university at southampton more and fairly disliked the one at bristol but i never saw where i would be living. However ive heard bristol is a nicer city by far..

which one?

I really do not know to be honest! There are so many factors to consider! This is the hardest decision I've had to make in my life, and I really do not want to regret it! Isn't Bristol supposed to be really really good for engineering though? I mean I don't know a lot, but I swear it has a great reputation! Then again, reputation isn't everything! :smile:
Who are you more swayed by at the moment and why? Bristol or Southampton? I change my mind every day to be honest!
Reply 51
hah yeh same, i dont even know what course i wanna do lol...

i was gonna be a raf pilot then changed my mind, thinking of medicine, mechanical and civil now!!!!!!! ARGH

but southampton was ranked no1 in engineering in 2001 with 5* research in all eng departments.

that was 2001 tho and there now reevaluating atm! rubbish timing.

I had my heart set on soton but ive never realy seen the city.. cant be that bad tho can it?

reason why i like soton:

very nice campus + not in exact centre of city
not too close but not too far (im in kent atm)
good aero department (so does bristol though)
good reputation overall and very good reputation for eng (especially research)
gf is off to imperial (it all counts ha)

ive decided definetly soton atm but for u i say bristol cos reputation is pretty important when it comes to gettin a job as are industrial links.

good luck!
Southampton a pritty good uni ¬.¬ Granted Bristol is prb better but it not a massive gap like Southampton and Solent :P.. Also I feel Birstol is a ****** hole I only have seen a lil bit so I dont have a great opinion but when I went in the station to go to Cardiff I was like omg dont stop, dont stop! ¬¬ worst place on the trip!!

:biggrin: Not saying Southampton looks nice..it's a grey block.

So just go with a place you feel is best for YOU!
Also Law is pritty good at Southampton if that what your doing and not a massive gap that you may think.
Fuzzy_Hamster
Southampton a pritty good uni ¬.¬ Granted Bristol is prb better but it not a massive gap like Southampton and Solent :P.. Also I feel Birstol is a ****** hole I only have seen a lil bit so I dont have a great opinion but when I went in the station to go to Cardiff I was like omg dont stop, dont stop! ¬¬ worst place on the trip!!

Also Law is pritty good at Southampton if that what your doing and not a massive gap that you may think.

There are pleasant and not-so-pleasant areas in Bristol, just like any big city....can't judge it from the 'lil bit' you've seen. However, i believe that Bristol Uni itself is right smack in the pleasant zone and Clifton and Stoke Bishop are where students stay, they're the best areas too.
Aye exatly so I couldnt really judge. ^.^ However I think I rather be in Bath lol.
Reply 55
hot_soup
hah yeh same, i dont even know what course i wanna do lol...

i was gonna be a raf pilot then changed my mind, thinking of medicine, mechanical and civil now!!!!!!! ARGH

but southampton was ranked no1 in engineering in 2001 with 5* research in all eng departments.

that was 2001 tho and there now reevaluating atm! rubbish timing.

I had my heart set on soton but ive never realy seen the city.. cant be that bad tho can it?

reason why i like soton:

very nice campus + not in exact centre of city
not too close but not too far (im in kent atm)
good aero department (so does bristol though)
good reputation overall and very good reputation for eng (especially research)
gf is off to imperial (it all counts ha)

ive decided definetly soton atm but for u i say bristol cos reputation is pretty important when it comes to gettin a job as are industrial links.

good luck!

I live 30 miles from Southampton and it seems pretty nice, I go there to shop sometimes - not sure whether or not that'll be your cup of tea, but it's definitely a selling point for me!
And sorry for commenting on the reputation of Bristol's engineering department, all I knew was that it was quite good from what I vaguely remember! But that's also great if Southampton is equally as good in that department! And yeah, for law as well, by the way, Southampton has better research ratings, one of a handful of unis to achieved a starred rating - I am not sure what this means though! :/ I mean does the standard of research directly correlate with how my degree will be perceived or anything? I ain't sure to be honest!
Take care! Good luck with your decision and everything!
Reply 56
Fuzzy_Hamster

Yeah, I totally see where you are coming from with the gap between the unis, it's so difficult to know how big the 'gap' is between them for sure though - I mean I've never tried to get employed with both a Southampton and a Bristol law degree and seen the difference, that's what is so frustrating! Aaah!
Reply 57
Megastar5
I live 30 miles from Southampton and it seems pretty nice, I go there to shop sometimes - not sure whether or not that'll be your cup of tea, but it's definitely a selling point for me!
And sorry for commenting on the reputation of Bristol's engineering department, all I knew was that it was quite good from what I vaguely remember! But that's also great if Southampton is equally as good in that department! And yeah, for law as well, by the way, Southampton has better research ratings, one of a handful of unis to achieved a starred rating - I am not sure what this means though! :/ I mean does the standard of research directly correlate with how my degree will be perceived or anything? I ain't sure to be honest!
Take care! Good luck with your decision and everything!

Bristol is good too lol

ive just been looking at world rankings and all my other options are overall higher than SOTON but not in the guardian ones... weird.

Research i gather means money for the department so generally research is a good idea of how good a department will be.

agh now im unsure again... bristol could be good...
Reply 58
ok seriously which one would be better for engineering, i really dont know which one i would like to go to more so i guess which one do people think would be better for career etc??

This really is the hardest decision of my life!!!
Reply 59
hot_soup
ok seriously which one would be better for engineering, i really dont know which one i would like to go to more so i guess which one do people think would be better for career etc??

This really is the hardest decision of my life!!!

This is a sub-forum for lawyers. How the **** are we supposed to know? On general prestige it would be Bristol but I've heard that Southampton has a good engineering department. If you want to know then go to the engineering sub-forum and set up a topic there then they're probably a tad more informed about this kind of thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending