The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
for science subjects such as yours its all about doing lots of practice. Do every past paper you can get your hands on and the mark schemes.
Reply 2
Your English is very good.
But go on an English language course to improve more.

An English school in London:
http://www.tlsi.co.uk
(<a href=http://www.tlsi.co.uk/general-information/course-fees.html>Prices</a>)
Telephone numbers are <a href=http://www.tlsi.co.uk/general-information/contact-us-7.html>here</a>.
Reply 3
I think that's the only thing you can do to improve.
Past papers are very important to do.

The best medical schools may not look at your application if you don't have 2 A*s in GCSE science, but look around at Uni websites.
By being a clever cloggs.
Reply 5
The only way to get top grades is to do lots of learning and lots of past papers... you need to properly understand the content so that you can tackle any question in the actual exam.
Keep up with the work set and make sure you understand it, if you don't understand it at 1st then ASK,
Start revising early,
Do as many past papers as possible.
Reply 7
Your English is actually quite good! Well, I have a friend whose English proficiency is really not that high but she scored absolutely wonderful results for Biology! Having said that, she is one of the most hard-working person I've ever met! So work hard towards your goal! =)
Hi, i got AAA and am now going to UCL for medicine so may be able to offer u some advice

1: spend lots of time with english mates and u will be able to speak english like a native
2: spend lots of time doing chemistry, LOTS of time! its a bloody hard alevel and i almost messed up (only got an A by two umms)
3: spend alot of time on your homeworks. Cramming before the exam is a dangerous game and for me meant i nearly ended up with ABB. for some reason the gods were on my side and by about 10 umms i got AAA
Reply 9
The Macabre Vincent Price...
By being a clever cloggs.

For instance.
Reply 10
Try and improve on your English, if you can as it will help you understand your course better, you will learn English much better if you be around people who speak English.

Universities will take into consideration that you started to learn English a few years ago, so dont be too worried about that. Main thing is to always understand your work as you do the course, and if you dont understand anything just ask your teachers or ask on the student room, its advisable to get A grades at AS for chemistry and biology if you want to apply to medicine.

You will also need to sit an admissions test UKCAT if you want to do medicine at most universities and also BMAT if you apply to any one of the BMAT universities.

For your A levels, learn the knowledge then do practice papers to learn how to answer the questions, Your subjects arent a test of your English as much as they are a test of your understanding.
Reply 11
It is possible to improve your English just by spending a lot of time with friends, and writing something every day. Since all your subjects are largely scientific, it's easy to slip on writing skills and think it's unnecessary (which it may well be for some of your subjects, but not in general - and even then in your subjects, communicating your answers/ideas clearly is important). To get As, start preparing in advance - make sure you cover everything when you're revising, and then go on to do lots of practice papers and questions.
Profesh
For instance.

Oh, I always thought it was something to do with the shoes...

Damn you.
PAst papers definately help for science subjects, they are also quite good for computing as well (i do that) and prcatice definaetly seems to be the best answer. dont' slack either, that will almost definately lead you to falling down grades.
reading books will help improve your spelling and understanding of the english language (modernish books.. nothing like shakespere)
The Macabre Vincent Price...
Oh, I always thought it was something to do with the shoes...

And so it is. How do you think you spell "clog"?:biggrin:
Reply 16
The fact that u r so keen is very good...with this determination i am sure u will do well and saying that u only started in year 10 and got an A in science must be amazing....Smart...keep it up and just be a geek LOL revise loads !
Good bloke
And so it is. How do you think you spell "clog"?:biggrin:

But there's a shoe store called www.cloggs.co.uk!

Oh, no... I'm not dutch. Oh, leave me alone!
Reply 18
hsn
reading books will help improve your spelling and understanding of the english language (modernish books.. nothing like shakespere)

It would be quite funny if people did read Shakespeare to improve their english though I must admit.

"Fie! Fie! Mine English is ****in' ****"
Just revise loads. You're lucky in that you study Sciences, by the time you get to the exams, most of the questions will be rehashs of previous questions. Just go through every practice paper and you'll be set.

Latest