The Student Room Group

How good is online qualification at university of essex?

So.. I was thinking about doing an online course at university of essex, which is considered very good university in the UK. I know they are not a part of the Russell Group, but their university is still good and not that expensive, as it is only 18,000 for 4 years, that's only about 4,000 a year. My question is, are these degrees as good as those gained in full time education? I'd rather go for distance learning since its a bit cheaper, I could get myself a job and pay for the university with my own money.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Original post by Patrixon
So.. I was thinking about doing an online course at university of essex, which is considered very good university in the UK. I know they are not a part of the Russell Group, but their university is still good and not that expensive, as it is only 18,000 for 4 years, that's only about 4,000 a year. My question is, are these degrees as good as those gained in full time education? I'd rather go for distance learning since its a bit cheaper, I could get myself a job and pay for the university with my own money.

Not sure how you can gauge how good the quality of an online university is without make an assessment of what you are looking to get from it. Certainly the cost is something to consider and having chosen the university of Essex Online for the same reason myself, I do regret having spent the last two years studying with them. Certainly online study is a good option if you have a day job, but don't make a choice based solely on cost, as the quality of tutors and administration is poor, as I have found out the hard way. Some of the online videos are horrendously poor. I'm sure you can find a more suitable online degree elsewhere, as you say, they are not part of the Russell Group, if that is part of your selection criteria.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Do you know any other universities that offer online courses? Well, universities better than this one.
Bumping this thread so I don't need to start another on the same topic. Any reviews? I've got an undergrad at a brick uni but have also been on the ou course and I'm looking to do my masters online.

I'm slightly worried they have no entry requirements other than a pass at Bsc and some of the awful reviews. I did considerably better and was far more dedicated/happy on the OU than at the brick uni.

Does anyone have any infomation on the quality of teaching materials? Assignments? Marking and feedback? I cannot do a brick uni Msc/MPH but need to boost my phd application a little.

(Also has anyone studied with my preferred choice Manchester Online?)
The University of Essex Online has nothing to do with the brick uni. They just sold their trademark to a corporation called Kaplan Training. They don't share staff or anything.
Imagine doing something like nanodegree with Udacity or Coursera just with the syllabus from 2005, but for 5x as much :biggrin:

In reality, if your MSc can be done online, you probably don't need it.
Original post by DerangedDRD
The University of Essex Online has nothing to do with the brick uni. They just sold their trademark to a corporation called Kaplan Training. They don't share staff or anything.
Imagine doing something like nanodegree with Udacity or Coursera just with the syllabus from 2005, but for 5x as much :biggrin:

In reality, if your MSc can be done online, you probably don't need it.

Yes I am fully aware it's Kaplan.

You do realise how many people do their masters levels qualifications online? Both mine and the OPs question was on any previous or current students experiences not the validity of online qualifications overall at masters level.
Original post by Confusedunicorn
Yes I am fully aware it's Kaplan.

You do realise how many people do their masters levels qualifications online? Both mine and the OPs question was on any previous or current students experiences not the validity of online qualifications overall at masters level.

Why are you under the impression that you need one in the first place? What exactly are you after? I know someone doing their law degree. it's quite obvious that they are heavily into cutting down costs, the whole thing looks very cheap, the "just enough to keep accreditation" type of attitude. Also if you enjoy waiting for videos to load, you will love Kaplan.
I don't believe that masters would be of better quality.
Original post by DerangedDRD
Why are you under the impression that you need one in the first place? What exactly are you after? I know someone doing their law degree. it's quite obvious that they are heavily into cutting down costs, the whole thing looks very cheap, the "just enough to keep accreditation" type of attitude. Also if you enjoy waiting for videos to load, you will love Kaplan.
I don't believe that masters would be of better quality.

It is unfortunately a requirement for career progression and/or phd funding although my recent proposal was accepted my funding was not. The feedback and advice was to either reapply with a further more relevant qualification or to continue as I am. I am not overly happy with where I am and feel I have more to offer hence the distance masters.

I'm also a little older with work experience in this area but with family/commitments I will struggle to pay for a brick university and keep up with work, I don't want to half arse work or study. Work has attempted to seek funding on my behalf and failed.
But thank you for mentioning your freind as I took your post the wrong way. Your freind and you have very much the same impression I have got through communication with them despite their oddly good TEF standard etc. I guess I need to knock them off my list it did seem a little too good to be true.
Original post by Confusedunicorn
It is unfortunately a requirement for career progression and/or phd funding although my recent proposal was accepted my funding was not. The feedback and advice was to either reapply with a further more relevant qualification or to continue as I am. I am not overly happy with where I am and feel I have more to offer hence the distance masters.

I'm also a little older with work experience in this area but with family/commitments I will struggle to pay for a brick university and keep up with work, I don't want to half arse work or study. Work has attempted to seek funding on my behalf and failed.
But thank you for mentioning your freind as I took your post the wrong way. Your freind and you have very much the same impression I have got through communication with them despite their oddly good TEF standard etc. I guess I need to knock them off my list it did seem a little too good to be true.

Same with my friend, she needs a QLD (Qualifying Law Degree) and Essex Online ticks the box and it's the cheapest thing around you can do from home. If you really just the need a piece of paper with MSc on it, Essex will do the trick and is the cheapest thing around, but nothing else. You will have to substitute what's missing on your own, YouTube, edX, Coursera and Udemy will help a lot. Most of the online Masters are pretty much degree mills.
Reply 10
Your generalization that most online masters are from degree mills is way off the mark. Like most things, you can always find those of poor quality. But to assert what you did about online degree mills fails to recognize that virtually every one of the top 200 Times-ranked universities in the world offer a full range of online masters degrees. In the UK Oxford, UCL, Kings College, Imperial, Durham, Manchester Birminghan, Leeds , and dozens of others including Essex, which is AMBA accredited, offer online masters degrees. In the U.S. such top institutions as Harvard, Boston College, Penn State, Arizona State, Purdue, U Texas, U North Carolina, U Washington...the list goes on and on, all offer online masters in dozens of different programs. So next time, before you shoot from the hip, know what your talking about.
Reply 11
Original post by Djm9055
Your generalization that most online masters are from degree mills is way off the mark. Like most things, you can always find those of poor quality. But to assert what you did about online degree mills fails to recognize that virtually every one of the top 200 Times-ranked universities in the world offer a full range of online masters degrees. In the UK Oxford, UCL, Kings College, Imperial, Durham, Manchester Birminghan, Leeds , and dozens of others including Essex, which is AMBA accredited, offer online masters degrees. In the U.S. such top institutions as Harvard, Boston College, Penn State, Arizona State, Purdue, U Texas, U North Carolina, U Washington...the list goes on and on, all offer online masters in dozens of different programs. So next time, before you shoot from the hip, know what your talking about.

Hi, might you have an idea which Online University is good for a BSc or BA in psychology? I am looking into Arden, but it seems Essex is more affordable. However I don't want to get caught up in a bad teaching system. If I can get a degree in the USA as well, I would be content.
Original post by Suni111
Hi, might you have an idea which Online University is good for a BSc or BA in psychology? I am looking into Arden, but it seems Essex is more affordable. However I don't want to get caught up in a bad teaching system. If I can get a degree in the USA as well, I would be content.

Did you decide who to go with?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending