The Student Room Group

My hard brexiteer driving instructor

Hi everyone,

I started to learn driving about 2 months ago. I'm hungarian. My driving instructor were kind of nice at the first time. He was really helpful and patient, which was very good. But the time has gone by and I noticed that he kept telling me about how the immigrants put the whole country into deep trouble and all the people from the East brings extremist views etc. Sometimes he gets really angry during the lesson and it makes me nervous. I noticed that he doesn't believe me or doesn't really care what I tell him. E.g.: He laughed at me when I asked him to show me how to demist the windows. "Hehe you still dont know it heh? How will you pass the exam then?" He has never tell me how to do it before. Then I asked him to talk throu all the show me tell me questions. He said " didn't I give you the paper about it? I suggest you make a scan to your computer!" He has never gave me such a paperwork before. I've learned a lot from him during this period but I feel he is a kind of insecure person who make assumption about people through the latest news. I looked up on his facebook page and it's full of posts about extrem rightwing brexit views. I'm thinking of changing instructor but I fear that he will use his power and extended friendship network to fail my exam and to give bad reputation about me. What do you think, should I proceed or should I change instructor?

Scroll to see replies

END IT!
Do not be paying him any more money.
You are paying for a service in which you should feel comfortable yet he is speaking like that. If anything you should just be focused on driving and no other topic.
He should not disregard what you are saying. I think you should change instructors and let your new instructor know about him, just so your new instructor is not like that.
You do not have money to be spending on someone like that.
Original post by Sycamorea
Hi everyone,

I started to learn driving about 2 months ago. I'm hungarian. My driving instructor were kind of nice at the first time. He was really helpful and patient, which was very good. But the time has gone by and I noticed that he kept telling me about how the immigrants put the whole country into deep trouble and all the people from the East brings extremist views etc. Sometimes he gets really angry during the lesson and it makes me nervous. I noticed that he doesn't believe me or doesn't really care what I tell him. E.g.: He laughed at me when I asked him to show me how to demist the windows. "Hehe you still dont know it heh? How will you pass the exam then?" He has never tell me how to do it before. Then I asked him to talk throu all the show me tell me questions. He said " didn't I give you the paper about it? I suggest you make a scan to your computer!" He has never gave me such a paperwork before. I've learned a lot from him during this period but I feel he is a kind of insecure person who make assumption about people through the latest news. I looked up on his facebook page and it's full of posts about extrem rightwing brexit views. I'm thinking of changing instructor but I fear that he will use his power and extended friendship network to fail my exam and to give bad reputation about me. What do you think, should I proceed or should I change instructor?

I think you may be overthinking stuff, if I'm totally honest. But if you don't feel like he's a good instructor anymore, then the sensible thing to do would be to find a new driving instructor.
Sounds like he is very unprofessional! Change instructors ASAP, you can't be spending money on someone who makes you nervous & uncomfortable.
Mug him off. Why do we still get asked questions with obvious answers? You're paying for a service that you're not happy with, seems like the thing you'd generally do is change the service from its' roots!
Reply 5
Thank you! For me it wasn't entirely obvious, that's why the question. I guess i will change him.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
I think you may be overthinking stuff, if I'm totally honest. But if you don't feel like he's a good instructor anymore, then the sensible thing to do would be to find a new driving instructor.

What exactly is he overthinking? Pls, enlighten us
Its unprofessional for him to be using your lesson time to talk politics.

Moreover, the response you seem to have been met with when asking questions is not something Id expect from a driving instructor.

I would just politely inform him you will no longer be booking any lessons and thank him for his help so far.
Reply 8
Original post by OldTimer30
Its unprofessional for him to be using your lesson time to talk politics.

Moreover, the response you seem to have been met with when asking questions is not something Id expect from a driving instructor.

I would just politely inform him you will no longer be booking any lessons and thank him for his help so far.

Hi, thank you for your advice! I'm not too experienced regarding driving instructors, also am not a kind of person who quit without thinking through the entire situation. For example I might be too sensitive and I should take easily such a talk like this, etc. But the responds tells me that it is not normal and it shouldn't be like this. So it makes my decision easier to change this instructor. Many thanks!
Your instructor and his views should have no bearing on your lessons. If he's a bad instructor generally then that's fair enough and consider changing, but if he's doing what you're paying him to do - i.e. getting you ready to pass your driving test - then his political views are of little concern to you.
Reply 10
Original post by marwakhalid
END IT!
Do not be paying him any more money.
You are paying for a service in which you should feel comfortable yet he is speaking like that. If anything you should just be focused on driving and no other topic.
He should not disregard what you are saying. I think you should change instructors and let your new instructor know about him, just so your new instructor is not like that.
You do not have money to be spending on someone like that.

Thank you, it is very helpful!:smile:
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Your instructor and his views should have no bearing on your lessons. If he's a bad instructor generally then that's fair enough and consider changing, but if he's doing what you're paying him to do - i.e. getting you ready to pass your driving test - then his political views are of little concern to you.

Yep, completely fine to rant about immigrants, spout far right crap and getting angry in the lesson.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY

Young drivers are stressed enough as it is being behind a wheel knowing that someone could come in and be in a fatal collision with inexperienced
drivers. So for you to say that his political views are of little concern, especially if you read between the lines, it makes it clear as day that what he’s doing is wrong. The student learning is Hungarian, the instructor is saying the immigrants from the East are bringing extremist views. Now if that were me I’d feel uncomfortable since he could be indirectly referring to me. Regardless of what you think, in terms of how you think it’s irrelevant because he is trying to pass his test, it’s wrong because it “disturbs”.
Original post by Caesar333
Yep, completely fine to rant about immigrants, spout far right crap and getting angry in the lesson.

Original post by gerib17
Young drivers are stressed enough as it is being behind a wheel knowing that someone could come in and be in a fatal collision with inexperienced
drivers. So for you to say that his political views are of little concern, especially if you read between the lines, it makes it clear as day that what he’s doing is wrong. The student learning is Hungarian, the instructor is saying the immigrants from the East are bringing extremist views. Now if that were me I’d feel uncomfortable since he could be indirectly referring to me. Regardless of what you think, in terms of how you think it’s irrelevant because he is trying to pass his test, it’s wrong because it “disturbs”.

Well, I guess there's no accounting for snowflakes that get easily offended by someone else's views. Why is what someone else thinks of such a concern to you?
Hi everyone,

i'm Jewish and my driving instructor voted BNP. he was a lovely bloke and by sticking with him, we stayed close and on really well. it doesnt really matter, people have different views and its your job to be a representative of the Hungarian community.

nb: i am also a hard brexiteer, but because i dont like the EU rather than legal, hard-working immigrants
Reply 15
Original post by CollectiveSoul
i'm Jewish and my driving instructor voted BNP. he was a lovely bloke and by sticking with him, we stayed close and on really well. it doesnt really matter, people have different views and its your job to be a representative of the Hungarian community.

nb: i am also a hard brexiteer, but because i dont like the EU rather than legal, hard-working immigrants

Well, normally I'm not really bothered by anybody's views. I wouldn't have been this time either. I've always thought that each person has got a different way to learn what needs to be learned. But as we are discussing the issue, I slowly realise that the main problem is that his monolouges took up almost all of our time. It hasn't happened suddenly: we started from a relatively normal teacher- student situation, which escalated to this, well, I'm not sure what should I call. In the last lesson he started swearing about hijab wearing women in cafes. He was yelling next to me with red head whilst I was driving 30 mph and when he finished he asked me why did I drive in the bus lane? Also what I mentioned above regarding other questions. Sometimes things changes so slowly and insidiously that we cannot see clearly the picture only if we share and discuss with others. So, thank you very much all of your help, it is greatly appreciated!
Original post by CollectiveSoul

lovely blokes dont vote bnp sweetheart. and jewish people in the uk look white british. it does matter about racist, homophobic, regressive, aggressive views.
lol you must have a panic attack every time you get in the car with him now :rofl:
Well, normally I'm not really bothered by anybody's views. I wouldn't have been this time either. I've always thought that each person has got a different way to learn what needs to be learned. But as we are discussing the issue, I slowly realise that the main problem is that his monolouges took up almost all of our time. It hasn't happened suddenly: we started from a relatively normal teacher- student situation, which escalated to this, well, I'm not sure what should I call. In the last lesson he started swearing about hijab wearing women in cafes. He was yelling next to me with red head whilst I was driving 30 mph and when he finished he asked me why did I drive in the bus lane? Also what I mentioned above regarding other questions. Sometimes things changes so slowly and insidiously that we cannot see clearly the picture only if we share and discuss with others. So, thank you very much all of your help, it is greatly appreciated!

views on hijabs and things like that are very much a working-class thing, rather than a racist thing. so i wouldnt feel too threatened. more worried about him yelling at you and not being calm!
Find a new instructor. Let us hope he never drives to the far right on the road, as that would probably cause an accident.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending