The Student Room Group

In the driving test-how important is it to stay in the left lane?

Hi, my test is next week and for various reasons I've ended up doing the majority of my lessons with my dad, which isn't ideal because a driving instructor would know the answers to my questions, but that isn't possible anymore.

Basically, I understand why you need to be in the left lane when there is multi lanes, especially when on a dual carriageway because it eases congestion as it allows people to get past you without undertaking you if they want to go faster. However, how important is this rule in the test on a road that has three lanes in a town area with a 30-40mph speed limit. It's a very confusing part of the area with many traffic light junctions. At the start there is one lane and you can pick what one of the three lanes you want to go in as they open up, and at the end I need to end up in very right lane. If I follow the staying in the left lane, I'd need to move over halfway along as the left lane goes off in a different direction and then I'm in the left of the two remaining lanes, and then would have to move over again to get to the right lane for the last junction which sometimes isn't possible when there is lots of other cars. It would be way easier to start in the right lane and travel in it the whole way up but I'm aware you can get a major fault for being in the right lane when you should be in the left? I'm just confused with all the rules for the test. Also if you can help, how much do they help you in the test? Do they give you directions a long way in advance and do they ever tell you what lane to get into if it's confusing? Thank you, I really appreciate any help as I know my question is specific and probably confusing
Reply 1
I think there's nothing wrong with being in the right lane, it's there for a reason and you want to turn right.
Although I'm no expert...:colondollar:
Tagging @AngryJellyfish to get this moved to Learning to drive :smile:
Religiously need to stay in the left lane unless lane discipline dictates you need to be somewhere else ie left lane becomes left turn only, which means you need to be in the middle to go straight.

On a driving test this is really not a hard concept, most roads on routes tend to be single lane anyway.
Left lane always unless you want to turn right or road markings indicate you need to be in the middle/right lane for following the road ahead if that’s where the examiner/satnav wants you to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending