The Student Room Group

Entry requirements - Highers vs AS levels

I've switched to the english system from the scots system, and i intend to apply to cambridge later in the year. Having already attained five As in my scottish highers, i'm having to crash my AS levels and therefore can only manage 3 AS subjects.

would my application be laughed at with just 3 AS levels, or could I just put down my scottish higher straight As instead??

(i intend to sit my A2s next year so i have no choice really and have to crash AS)
Of course you can put down your Highers grades too.
Reply 2
you're allowed to put two qualifications down yeah?

and say, I don't do as well as anticipated in my AS

do i have to put them down or could i just put down my highers instead.

what are my chances btw, i'm applying chem eng, I know that's fairly competitive!
Reply 3
You have to put down all the exams you took and the marks you got - including all retakes. There is a separate form for this. As to your chances, I really cannot help.
Reply 4
I'm a bit of a n00b with regards to english qualifications, though, does what you get in your AS levels have any bearing on your A2's?
Reply 5
Yes, an AS level is essentially half your A2. Its quite long winded to explain, but I am sure there are some articles about it on the wiki.
Reply 6
cheers guys

*******s
Artemidoros
cheers guys

*******s

Just out of pure curiosity, why don't you just do Advanced Highers instead? :smile:
Oxbridge don't accept people on the basis of just Highers- so you'd need to put down your A-levels to (although I think you have to put down all qualifications anyway, don't you?)
Reply 9
Apply to Oxford, far more flexible :p:
Reply 10
so yeah- why don't you just do advanced highers?
A levels are marked out of 600 UMS points- 300 from your AS modules (usually 3, each out of about 100, but often 120/90/90 or similar) and 300 from your A2 modules(again usually three modules, similar distribution of marks).

Latest

Trending

Trending