The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
My two cence is;
Don't do too many, five is excessive. I met a guy who got into Imperial after doing 6 A levels all grade As and his advice to us at the beginning of our A levels is it puts unnecessary pressure and stress and made no significant difference. Sure if you want to be ambitious give it a go, you can always drop one or two. I am doing Maths, Chem, Biology, Polish and Theology as an As, dropped out of French A level...
Physics is very similar to Pure maths and Mechanics, and that stuff is no piece of cake. Universities will look at your predictions for your 3 main subjects and one as, they look at your extra curricular work... Your going to have trouble to handle everything if you pile up that much work, then extra curricular work, work experience you wont get a break. Sixth form should also be fun not stressful.
Enjoy it and work hard, don't over work yourself as medicine is no piece of cake either another what 5-6 years of extremely demanding work.
Maybe it's because I just have a bit of a laxed outlook on things but trust me it's a huge step up from GCSEs and the workload is going to be much bigger for 4 subjects let alone 5.
Reply 81
i do 5, but i would say do 5 proper a levels so nothing like ICT or Critical thinking coz they dont count...

im finishing my A2's and i do Economics, Maths, History, Italian, Geography

It's perfectly ok, trust me it's worth doing it. people that say don't do it are the people that can't do it.
Reply 82
I think doing 5 is a good idea to be honest. You never know what will happen on the exam day, me and my friend both had one subject came out much lower than we were expecting. Having a spare subject at each stage is good because you are covered if you mess one exam up. Also, if you find it hard to narrow subjects down for AS it's better to keep the options open.
Go for 5, otherwise you will have too much free time :p:
Just kidding; 5 is very managable at AS and at A2 it can be a challenge, but if you can cope it does look good and there is no harm in doing more than the norm, makes you a bit different.
Reply 84
i'm doing 4 A2 and i find it really a struggle. then my friends who are doing 3 A2 said i'm putting myself into pressure when i don't need it...i think 4 is okay, 5 is a bit too much, but i'd still go for it if i have the time. i couldn't because i need english lessons as i'm international :frown:
JeremyJez
i do 5, but i would say do 5 proper a levels so nothing like ICT or Critical thinking coz they dont count...

It's perfectly ok, trust me it's worth doing it. people that say don't do it are the people that can't do it.

ICT is a 'proper' A-level actually and it does count. Only Cambridge blacklist ICT A-level and all other universities are fine with it as one of the main 3 A-levels.
Actually I think LSE blacklist it as well... and maybe Oxford....
And the reason as to WHY ICT is not a valid subject in those places mentioned is still a mystery to me. If it is an accredited A level, then I don't see why it shouldn't be at the same level as all the others...
xinolisss
And the reason as to WHY ICT is not a valid subject in those places mentioned is still a mystery to me. If it is an accredited A level, then I don't see why it shouldn't be at the same level as all the others...

Well isnt GS and CT also accredited but they aren't considered by quite a lot of unis...
Yeah exactly that's my point, all those A levels, I mean, what's the point in having them if later they're not considered by the unis... it makes me wonder sometimes what were the exam boards thinking of when they introduced these exams, it's like why bother preparing exams, getting examiner to mark the papers and go through all that trouble to get a qualification that doesn't count...
And what's even worse General studies seems to me like a very popular A level or AS level or at least here on TSR
Hahahaha... yea, it is confusing, but then again maybe some universities take it? Its an interesting subject I think, but its quite easy which makes it pointless for some unis..
I wanted to try out five at my sixth form, but no one does five subjects at my sixth form becuase my sixth form doesn't even allow it! (excluding f.maths but subject wise, nope) It sucks, they believe it "isn't neccessary", even though i suggested il drop 5 down to 4 at AS if i find it to hard, but they still refused to let me do it. That put even more pressure choosing what i liked to do.

Nevertheless, I'd say do 5, becuase you'll never know how hard it is unless you try and i guess you can always just drop one - they're great subjects btw.
Reply 93
xinolisss
And what's even worse General studies seems to me like a very popular A level or AS level or at least here on TSR

I think most of us are forced into it :p:

But as for 5 ASs, I say go for it. Didn't do me any harm (and I did General Studies as well).
I have the chance of doing chinese as an extra subject but I've been told that it doesn't count much for me since it's an A-level in my native tongue - I think that's weird, as if my school is discouraging me to get good grades!
Reply 95
xixixiwater
I have the chance of doing chinese as an extra subject but I've been told that it doesn't count much for me since it's an A-level in my native tongue - I think that's weird, as if my school is discouraging me to get good grades!

I think they're just saving you trouble, as unis won't really care about it. It's a shame, but for the most part it's true.
Reply 96
what? i'm chinese as well and i just did it without any help...
Can I be controversial and call you British?

Or do you mean ethnically chinese? :wink:
Reply 98
yes. i studied in hong kong until the age of 17.
JeremyJez

Im thinking of taking A Level Geography,as it was my favourite of all the GCSE subjects.How are you finding it?

Latest