The Student Room Group

Going into depth of my GCSE subjects.

Hello! I’m picking my GCSEs on the 17th April (so I’m in Yr8), and I was wondering if anyone can give me some info and more understanding of what options I have in mind for GCSE:
- Geography (Edexcel)
- French
- Media
- Music (Edexcel)
- Sociology (AQA)
But I’m really confused whether to do CiDA/ICT or Computer Science GCSE.

Initial Thoughts:
Well, I would love to do Music, as it’s practially been a part of me since I came out of the womb oOf, but I don’t know if it’s just going to limit my choices (our school lets us pick 4/5 subjects GCSE). Plus Music is just a way for me to “make things easier and make me less stressed” (I’m currently Vocal Grade 3). I want to go down the Current Affairs/Future Technology route sooo...

Scroll to see replies

Music is absolute trash. I dropped it in year 11 and the only reason I took it was because I enjoyed playing instruments but you mostly do written work and when you do get to do practicals it’s all chosen for you and it is almost impossible to get the high grades. Maybe my teaches weren’t good but I think generally the way everything’s marked and the endless knowledge you need to know about stupid stuff.. it’s too hard a gcse if you’re not planning on doing it in the future. Sorry for the rant
ICT is more using programs / computers. My school offers the CiDA as well

Computer science is more about how computers / networks etc work.

Computer science is generally considered harder, and it can help if you are good at maths.

Generally, CiDA is more creative and computer science is more logical

if you want to go into technology / current affairs I would say sociology and either ICT or comp science and maybe a language. Then whatever you really enjoy

I picked my options this year (year 9). I picked French, triple science, computer science and design technology
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Bill Nye
ICT is more using programs / computers. My school offers the CiDA as well

Computer science is more about how computers / networks etc work.

Computer science is generally considered harder, and it can help if you are good at maths.

Generally, CiDA is more creative and computer science is more logical

if you want to go into technology / current affairs I would say sociology and either ICT or comp science and maybe a language. Then whatever you really enjoy

I picked my options this year (year 9). I picked French, triple science, computer science and design technology

thank you!!
Original post by roses.wys
Hello! I’m picking my GCSEs on the 17th April (so I’m in Yr8), and I was wondering if anyone can give me some info and more understanding of what options I have in mind for GCSE:
- Geography (Edexcel)
- French
- Media
- Music (Edexcel)
- Sociology (AQA)

Initial Thoughts:
Well, I would love to do Music, as it’s practially been a part of me since I came out of the womb oOf, but I don’t know if it’s just going to limit my choices (our school lets us pick 4/5 subjects GCSE). Plus Music is just a way for me to “make things easier and make me less stressed” (I’m currently Vocal Grade 3). I want to go down the Current Affairs/Future Technology route sooo...

I take both ICT and computer science, cie. Computer science is A LOT easier and much more interesting. You can study the whole syllabus for computing in 2 weeks.
Reply 5
Music is great if you're good at it, however, making you less stressed - it won't.
The coursework entails two performances, one solo and one accompanied and two compositions, a free and one from a brief.
Your teacher will set bizarre and irritating deadlines for these, which make up 60% of your music GCSE.

You find out very quickly if you're good at music when you're thrown in front of a computer and asked to compose a piece from scratch that is worthy of a level 7+.

Another problem I am finding with music at the moment (39 days from exams) is how there are no resources online to help you. None at all. And the specification is useless.

Have fun.
Reply 6
Original post by Henrymb
Music is great if you're good at it, however, making you less stressed - it won't.
The coursework entails two performances, one solo and one accompanied and two compositions, a free and one from a brief.
Your teacher will set bizarre and irritating deadlines for these, which make up 60% of your music GCSE.

You find out very quickly if you're good at music when you're thrown in front of a computer and asked to compose a piece from scratch that is worthy of a level 7+.

Another problem I am finding with music at the moment (39 days from exams) is how there are no resources online to help you. None at all. And the specification is useless.

Have fun.

Well, I do vocals as in Vocal Lesson at school and go against the criteria from there. Our school policy is that all students who do Music GCSE MUST play an instrument and/or have a music background, or they will not do it. My teacher’s been pushing me to “nurture” (quoted from him) my potential. Reason being is that he persuaded and persisted a 45min meeting on parents evening for my parents to let me do Music whoops.
Reply 7
Original post by karthik02
I take both ICT and computer science, cie. Computer science is A LOT easier and much more interesting. You can study the whole syllabus for computing in 2 weeks.

What is the ratio for coursework:theory? I’ve heard it’s pretty hard because of that.
Reply 8
Original post by Jenjenss
Music is absolute trash. I dropped it in year 11 and the only reason I took it was because I enjoyed playing instruments but you mostly do written work and when you do get to do practicals it’s all chosen for you and it is almost impossible to get the high grades. Maybe my teaches weren’t good but I think generally the way everything’s marked and the endless knowledge you need to know about stupid stuff.. it’s too hard a gcse if you’re not planning on doing it in the future. Sorry for the rant

It’s totally okay for the rant aha
idk whteher to do it or not. The Music Department has been trying to persuade me to do Music GCSE because I have a reputation at school for Performing Arts. As I’m in a top form, I’m not supposed to do any BTEC subjects, hence not me picking Performing Arts BTEC, and for me to take Drama and Music as two seperate courses but I will not do it.
Well are u commerce or science?

- Geography (Edexcel)
- French
- Media
- Music (Edexcel)
- Sociology (AQA)

Initial Thoughts:
Reply 10
Original post by Sara Yasin
Well are u commerce or science?

aHhhHh life is so confusing for me right now :frown:(
/ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I have a performing arts background, and I recognise how much of an impact I have on youngers years (Literally. The people that came from my Primary to my Secondary was because of me.) but I feel like it won’t really get me to places in life, though it really do enjoy the arts.

I’d say that I’m into the Science route than Commerce though.
Do you not have a first language? Dont all examining bodies requre you to do a first language in IGCSEs?
aHhhHh life is so confusing for me right now :frown:(
/ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I have a performing arts background, and I recognise how much of an impact I have on youngers years (Literally. The people that came from my Primary to my Secondary was because of me.) but I feel like it won’t really get me to places in life, though it really do enjoy the arts.

I’d say that I’m into the Science route than Commerce though.

Then I would recommend u doing a commerce subject like business, it quite easy and with ur choice of subjects it can grant u a back up plan to fall in to if something happened
As for ICT or CS , I did ict and it actually gave me a very good opportunities with decent part time jobs and it’s exam is quite direct so U wouldn’t have much trouble in scoring the As

If u had business , ict/cs , sociology and French in ur subject set u r literally covering all fields so u don’t have to worry
That’s just an opinion tho it’s ur call 😁
- Geography (Edexcel)
- French
- Media
- Music (Edexcel)
- Sociology (AQA)

Initial Thoughts:

I went with CompSci after switching from ICT. ICT had a lot more "work" to be done but was much simpler and the practical component was much easier than CompSci(it doesn't actually have a practical but asks you to write a program of some sort and do problem solving). I'd suggest CompSci simply because it teaches more indepth stuff than ICT. ICT really only teaches you how to use a computer(which almost any teenager nowadays learnt on their own)
Reply 14
Original post by Smokescreen318
Do you not have a first language? Dont all examining bodies requre you to do a first language in IGCSEs?

?
I’m born and raised in the UK, so I know English lol.
I’m not required to learn another language though, but some schools make it compulsory :smile:
?
I’m born and raised in the UK, so I know English lol.
I’m not required to learn another language though, but some schools make it compulsory :smile:

Oh, makes sense. My school makes it is compulsory to do First language English and Math, along with minimum 7 other subjects for IGCSE.
- Geography (Edexcel)
- French
- Media
- Music (Edexcel)
- Sociology (AQA)

Initial Thoughts:

Don't do computer science...
Reply 17
Original post by username3645566
Oh, makes sense. My school makes it is compulsory to do First language English and Math, along with minimum 7 other subjects for IGCSE.

yeah, IGCSE has a similar criteria, but hence the “I” in IGCSE, you will be expected to follow more subjects if that makes sense :smile:
Original post by Henrymb

Have fun.

Agreed:smile:

@roses.wys I'm in year 11 doing French and music (both edexcel) if you've got any questions don't hesitate to ask:hugs: I'd also remember that random people on the internet don't know what is best for you, you do.
yeah, IGCSE has a similar criteria, but hence the “I” in IGCSE, you will be expected to follow more subjects if that makes sense :smile:

?

The 'I' just means international

Quick Reply

Latest