The Student Room Group

Going into depth of my GCSE subjects.

Scroll to see replies

I can only comment on French and Sociology - French is probably my favourite subject if I'm honest, I'm on Edexcel and it's an absolutely amazing GCSE to do. If you enjoy it now, definitely do it. A language is probably the most useful qualification you can have in any career and it helps you with other subjects, especially English. AQA Sociology is fairly content heavy, with a lot of key terms (there should be a copy of a textbook you can get from your school - flip through it and see what you think) and while it's an interesting subject, and VERY useful if you want to go down the current affairs/politics route, there may be more 'useful' subjects you can choose. By that I mean that it's not considered a traditional or 'hard' subject, like French or Geography. But I would say it's more useful than Music, particularly for your career intentions, and as other people have said, Music is a lot of work if you're not going to study it at college.
Anyway, good luck with your options and I hope you enjoy them next year :smile:
Original post by Baza2002
Don't do computer science...

This is probably coming from someone who thought that it would be all about coding.

In computer science there is A LOT of theory. The NEA (the programming task) is only 20% of the GCSE. 20% is programming, the rest is theory eg data compression, networks, binary, hexadecimal, pseudo code, data representation etc.
Original post by Bill Nye
This is probably coming from someone who thought that it would be all about coding.

In computer science there is A LOT of theory. The NEA (the programming task) is only 20% of the GCSE. 20% is programming, the rest is theory eg data compression, networks, binary, hexadecimal, pseudo code, data representation etc.

I knew that most of it would be theory and only 20% is programming (programming is the worst part for me). I didn't want to take it, so I didn't, but for the next 5 weeks after I chose Spanish instead, my parents kept telling me that I was 'making a mistake' and 'I would regret not following their advice'. I just got so pissed off at them and ended up changing Spanish to Computer Science. It is looking like I will get a 7 at least, but most likely an 8... but I just hate the subject. Because it's looking like I'll get an 8, my parents are now trying to get me to choose it for A-Level! I got pretty mad at them 2 days ago and they have not been telling me to do it for the past 2 days.
I knew that most of it would be theory and only 20% is programming (programming is the worst part for me). I didn't want to take it, so I didn't, but for the next 5 weeks after I chose Spanish instead, my parents kept telling me that I was 'making a mistake' and 'I would regret not following their advice'. I just got so pissed off at them and ended up changing Spanish to Computer Science. It is looking like I will get a 7 at least, but most likely an 8... but I just hate the subject. Because it's looking like I'll get an 8, my parents are now trying to get me to choose it for A-Level! I got pretty mad at them 2 days ago and they have not been telling me to do it for the past 2 days.

Don't listen to them

Just that most people / parents expect it to be nearly all programming if they havent done any research on it at all
Don't listen to them

Just that most people / parents expect it to be nearly all programming if they havent done any research on it at all

Yeah, I've told them that their advice is usually sh*t so I ain't following it anymore. They thought that I would be good at computer science because "I'm always 'playing' on the computer" (all I do is use Youtube to listen to music, stream football matches, check BBC Football, go on Facebook and TSR, and use Word to do my revision notes).
Reply 25
do computer science
Yeah, I've told them that their advice is usually sh*t so I ain't following it anymore. They thought that I would be good at computer science because "I'm always 'playing' on the computer" (all I do is use Youtube to listen to music, stream football matches, check BBC Football, go on Facebook and TSR, and use Word to do my revision notes).

Oh you know how to use a keyboard??

YOU GET A GRADE 9
Oh you know how to use a keyboard??

YOU GET A GRADE 9

lol
guess why my parents want me to do computer science at A-Level...
I play fifa for 5-6 hours everyday, therefore I should be able to be a game developer...
Reply 28
Original post by Toastiekid
Agreed:smile:

@roses.wys I'm in year 11 doing French and music (both edexcel) if you've got any questions don't hesitate to ask:hugs: I'd also remember that random people on the internet don't know what is best for you, you do.

Of course, I want to just know more info about each subject before I plan which subjects to choose in a few weeks. Thank you!! :v
Reply 29
lol
guess why my parents want me to do computer science at A-Level...
I play fifa for 5-6 hours everyday, therefore I should be able to be a game developer...

omg 😂😂
you could make ideas, but i think that’d be more in ICT than Computer Sci rip
Reply 30
?

The 'I' just means international

i fOrgot to pUt oKaY!1!1!
because the different standards from what’s expected in the UK to what’s expected in other countries, for them to have more subjects makes them go similarly/in line with our criteria of GCSE.
Original post by roses.wys
omg 😂😂
you could make ideas, but i think that’d be more in ICT than Computer Sci rip

I could make ideas... but they would be crap - I'm not very creative. I'll be doing maths, further maths and physics at a-level.
Reply 32
As much as Maths and Physics are not at my highest/major interests, I would still like to get as much help and ideas as I can! There’s no going back once I pick my subjects, I’m not allowed to change them. :frown:(
Original post by roses.wys
As much as Maths and Physics are not at my highest/major interests, I would still like to get as much help and ideas as I can! There’s no going back once I pick my subjects, I’m not allowed to change them. :frown:(

I've known 2 I wanted to do since year 7 lmao (triple science and computer science)

Recently started enjoying French and Design Technology is fun imo (and the best from that option block)
Reply 34
I've known 2 I wanted to do since year 7 lmao (triple science and computer science)

Recently started enjoying French and Design Technology is fun imo (and the best from that option block)

Triple Science is compulsory lmao can’t relate

French was compulsory for my class, the other classes did Spanish rip

Quick Reply

Latest