The Student Room Group
Reply 1
its named after a three legged stool
shiny

You learn something new every day. And some of them are worth learning.
Reply 3
englishstudent
You learn something new every day. And some of them are worth learning.

that's probably the most important thing you will learn during your time at cambridge :biggrin:
Reply 4
THE PROPHETOR!
Hey guys...

So what is so special about the Tripos degree?

Why is it better than other types of assessment?

Why do you like it?

Thanks

Jason

Nothing special. Apply to Oxford.
Reply 5
THE PROPHETOR!
So what is so special about the Tripos degree?

It means you sit exams every year. This allows you to learn something, take the exam, and move on to more difficult / more detailed topics. If you have an exam covering everything at the end of three years, you simply can't spend as much time learning new, complex material because you need time to re-learn and update yourself on what you learnt in the first year.
shiny

It would be better if it was named after a three legged stooge.

MB
Reply 7
jcw
It means you sit exams every year. This allows you to learn something, take the exam, and move on to more difficult / more detailed topics. If you have an exam covering everything at the end of three years, you simply can't spend as much time learning new, complex material because you need time to re-learn and update yourself on what you learnt in the first year.

It also allows you to switch between courses in the middle of your tenure. Think of it like "modules" I guess.
Reply 8
Hey guys/...

Thank you for answering my thread. I just have a quick question, and I would be extremely grateful if you could reply.

On the cambridge website it says:

"Our degree courses (called Triposes) are not modular but are divided into blocks lasting one or two years. In some subjects there is a two-year Part I (which may be divided into Part IA and Part IB) and a one-year Part II. "

and

"Each Part of the Tripos is self-contained with a separate result at the end of each year. There is no averaging out for your final degree."

But with the law degree it is seperated into Part IA, Part IB and Part II...

Does this mean an exam at the end of year 2 and 3... or all years.

Also, just to quickly ask, what did you put in you CAF personal statement for Law?

Thank you very much for your help

Jason
Reply 9
THE PROPHETOR!
But with the law degree it is seperated into Part IA, Part IB and Part II...

Does this mean an exam at the end of year 2 and 3... or all years.

I've replied to your PM, but for the benefit of anyone else wondering:

You take exams at the end of every year, Part 1A in year 1, Part 1B in year 2 and Part 2 in year 3.

Latest

Trending

Trending