The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

coldfish
"a genuine exploration of thoughts"? You posted a list of insults followed by "discuss". This isn't an exploration of thoughts, this is an exam question set by arseholes.

Stop being so gay.
Reply 61
h0h0h0. You are so funny I laugh with zeroes.
Incidentally: "freedom of speech" is something which governments grant to their citizens. It is not something which private individuals hosting webforums are obliged grant.
Reply 62
Why does the thread say "Oxbridge", when only Cambridge is actually mentioned?
The Solitary Reaper
naivesincerity, did your father perhaps express disappointment in you not going to Cambridge at some point in your life? Just out of curiosity.

No, not at all.
Reply 64
I imagine the the general miasma of competitive asshatery is more to do with the fact that most people are now in an environment where they aren't obviously the best at anything, as opposed to their prior education. Alighting on my internet psychoanalyst armchair, I might suggest people tend to 'big themselves up' as a compensatory measure. I think I have a pretty good idea how clever I am, so I guess I'd count as pretty self assured.
naivesincerity
But so do other unis and walks of life, that's precisely my point. Oxbridge arrogance. These are people who have an academic discipline that they are exceptional at, I give them that credit, but when it gives them the conceit to think the rest of the world is stupid and untalented, and not to be able to recognise the rest of the world, other unis, or other walks of life, thats when it gets annoying.

What is precisely your point? I don't believe coldfish stated any of these opinions you're tarring us with, I think you just inferred it. Do excuse my naivety if my belief that the two oldest and most respected academic institutions of the country actually contain large numbers of clever people is unfounded; on the other hand, if I'm actually correct in saying that within the context of the thread topic, and simply haven't mentioned other universities because they're not what's being discussed here, then shut up with the reactionary political correctness *******s. Fankz.

Oh yeah - and notice that I still haven't given my opinion on whether people from other universities are "stupid and untalented" or not, and will continue not to do so, because it's not relevant! Woo!
generalebriety
Do excuse my naivety if my belief that the two oldest and most respected academic institutions of the country actually contain large numbers of clever people is unfounded;

Once again, it's not too hard to figure out that -
a)That wasn't at all what I said.
b)The critcisms are general and not aimed at you personally.
Speedbird2008
Elitist? Yes.

That isn't a bad thing, though.

Ask Plato. Well, he's dead, but read "The Republic."

Yeah, and if you agree with that, why not move on to Mein Kampf?
Reply 68
hermaphrodite
45% Public, circa 30% Grammar, pre-dominantly white and middle-class - hardly one's definition of variety :rolleyes:

you need to get out more

Rubbish. People' s attitudes are vastly different. They are not entirely determined by the schools they went to. I've seen everything from Christian bible thumpers to militant atheists; and leftwing communist sorts to extremely rightwing. People who were well-educated but are not nearly as rich as those they went to school with, and people who are soon to inherit entire economies. And everything inbetween. So don't make assumptions about what people here are like based on statistics like those.
Reply 69
Popa Dom
Ever since leaving school and coming to Oxford I have:

Started wearing scarves and jackets(including a couple of tweed ones), even worse I now tend to wear brown shoes instead of trainers:puke:, taken up the tosser sports of rowing and rugby, have even joined the officer training corps, held an (albeit minor) position in the union, run for a committee election in one of the major uni societies and therefore gone through all the vote fishing thats involved in it, served on said society's committee, used words like "chat", "standard" and "lash", wasted almost the entirity of a term drinking pimms and playing croquet, spent more money than i care to think of on a black tie outfit, been to black tie events, dressed up in tweeds and hunted women dressed as foxes and tried to defend said chauvinism in a feminist forum, been to watch a holocaust denyer speak and not think he was that bad,drunk non-cava champagne, taken up pipe smoking, considered which city firm i want to work for, and many more things which basically mean I have now become everything I ever hated.

Still, its all "top banter"

Haha loves it! :p:
Popa Dom

Started wearing scarves and jackets(including a couple of tweed ones), even worse I now tend to wear brown shoes instead of trainers:puke:, taken up the tosser sports of rowing and rugby

Wearing scarves, jackets and brown shoes signals that you're just maturing in my opinion (well apart from the tweed - that's just wrong).
Although you say you've become everything you hate - why do you do it then?

Popa Dom
taken up pipe smoking

That is quite odd for a university student.
Popa Dom

Started wearing scarves and jackets(including a couple of tweed ones), even worse I now tend to wear brown shoes instead of trainers:puke:, taken up the tosser sports of rowing and rugby, have even joined the officer training corps, held an (albeit minor) position in the union, run for a committee election in one of the major uni societies and therefore gone through all the vote fishing thats involved in it, served on said society's committee, used words like "chat", "standard" and "lash", wasted almost the entirity of a term drinking pimms and playing croquet, spent more money than i care to think of on a black tie outfit, been to black tie events, dressed up in tweeds and hunted women dressed as foxes and tried to defend said chauvinism in a feminist forum, been to watch a holocaust denyer speak and not think he was that bad,drunk non-cava champagne, taken up pipe smoking, considered which city firm i want to work for, and many more things which basically mean I have now become everything I ever hated.

Much of this applies to me too. There is something infectious about Oxfordy tittery, even though you'd never participate in The Real World.
Popa Dom

I wasn't going to comment, until I saw this. Wow, you're only making me regret the fact that I shan't be going there more. Haha good job, I say.

jismith1989
Yeah, and if you agree with that, why not move on to Mein Kampf?

Actually I was shocked by Plato, reading "The Republic" and "Laws" I mean...double uu tee ff meight?
Popa Dom

Brilliant. :biggrin:
naivesincerity
Once again, it's not too hard to figure out that -
a)That wasn't at all what I said.

No. I'm aware of this. I'm asking what you did say.

naivesincerity
b)The critcisms are general and not aimed at you personally.

So? My question was aimed at you personally, but you didn't answer it. Seems we're not doing things by the book.
generalebriety
What is precisely your point?

I've made it pretty clear throughout the thread. That Oxbridge has more self promoting, up themselves and arrogant people, or at least people who act that way, than other places with talented people.
naivesincerity
I've made it pretty clear throughout the thread. That Oxbridge has more self promoting, up themselves and arrogant people, or at least people who act that way, than other places with talented people.

And can you back this up? Because I can't argue against that statement as it stands - but I can't argue against the reasons you believe this because I see absolutely no reason why you should (other than hearsay and personal experience), not because your argument is at all watertight.
Reply 77
As for the point that Oxbridge academics are more up-themselves, arrogant, self-assured, whatever. Hmmm. Firstly, what IS an "Oxbridge academic"? Are these people who were educated at Oxbridge from undergrad through postgrad, getting a fellowship straight after PhD and still there now? Or all the other people, who have been educated in all kinds of places, and perhaps gain a job at Oxbridge after 20 years? Do they count, or aren't they "Oxbridge" enough?

As far as I can tell, many of the academics (NOT just at Oxbridge) are actually quite insecure, anxious, incredibly hard working and very often worried about the standards of their work. Nothing is good enough for perfectionists, and lots of them are perfectionists. Furthermore, the career track for academics is terrifying -- rejection after rejection is sent to even the best candidates for the jobs, and you have to cultivate a thick skin fast. Given the pressures of the job (having to publish at quite a rate), and the difficulties even getting that job in the first place, I can certainly fogive those who seem a bit arrogant. More often than not it's simply a necessary protection. And, also, well-earned. These guys are often doing awesome things, and are quite right to have some self-assurance if they can get it. I'm right behind them. :smile:
epitome
As for the point that Oxbridge academics are more up-themselves, arrogant, self-assured, whatever. Hmmm. Firstly, what IS an "Oxbridge academic"? Are these people who were educated at Oxbridge from undergrad through postgrad, getting a fellowship straight after PhD and still there now? Or all the other people, who have been educated in all kinds of places, and perhaps gain a job at Oxbridge after 20 years? Do they count, or aren't they "Oxbridge" enough?

As far as I can tell, many of the academics (NOT just at Oxbridge) are actually quite insecure, anxious, incredibly hard working and very often worried about the standards of their work. Nothing is good enough for perfectionists, and lots of them are perfectionists. Furthermore, the career track for academics is terrifying -- rejection after rejection is sent to even the best candidates for the jobs, and you have to cultivate a thick skin fast. Given the pressures of the job (having to publish at quite a rate), and the difficulties even getting that job in the first place, I can certainly fogive those who seem a bit arrogant. More often than not it's simply a necessary protection. And, also, well-earned. These guys are often doing awesome things, and are quite right to have some self-assurance if they can get it. I'm right behind them. :smile:

Well said.
Though you missed a point. A fair bit of the non-famous academics cling to the Oxford prestige in an unnecessary manner. Certain lecturers have the big fat ugly university logo as their wallpaper and screens-saver. I think that's being up your ass.
Reply 79
webecomesilhouetes
Though you missed a point. A fair bit of the non-famous academics cling to the Oxford prestige in an unnecessary manner. Certain lecturers have the big fat ugly university logo as their wallpaper and screens-saver. I think that's being up your ass.

I wonder if that logo and screensaver is automatically set on their computers, and they've just not bothered to change it? Also, lots of people have pictures of their college as computer wallpaper -- is there anything wrong with this, really? I mean, I'd rather have a picture of my cat there, but I don't see why just having University stuff around is a problem. It's just a fact of life. I'd be concerned if people *weren't* proud of working here -- indeed, it would be good if people cold be proud of their place of work wherever and whatever it is. Self-effacing is an interesting characteristic: it is almost equally desired in people who lack it, and ridiculed in people who demonstrate it. As for as I'm concerned, people should just say a spade's a spade.

A more interesting point, though, is: "A fair bit of the non-famous academics cling to the Oxford prestige in an unnecessary manner".
1) Do none of the "famous" academics cling to the Oxbridge prestige?
2) Might there be a very valid personal and/or career-related reason for doing this?
3) Why bother to differentiate between the famous and non-famous? Seems a bit irrelevant. As often as not, Oxbridge clings to its famous academics as much as the other way round. The fact that the non-famous ones are most often those doing all the essential work is too often overlooked...

Latest

Trending

Trending