The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

I can't afford uni

I just got my maintenance loan and it's official I cannot afford uni. I am going in September but my maintenance loan only just covers my accommodation (£4000) i have a part time job i can transfer but i have other expenses as well like a laptop I am paying off and my phone bill. I am now sick to my stomach and I don't know what to do. I am going to surrey. I've also already applied for accommodation so there is no guarantee I can get the cheapest accommodation now.
I don't know what to do

(My parents cannot afford to give me much money/ are reluctant to)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jaustin827
I just got my maintenance loan and it's official I cannot afford uni. I am going in September but my maintenance loan only just covers my accommodation (£4000) i have a part time job i can transfer but i have other expenses as well like a laptop I am paying off and my phone bill. I am now sick to my stomach and I don't know what to do. I am going to surrey. I've also already applied for accommodation so there is no guarantee I can get the cheapest accommodation now.
I don't know what to do

In the case your parents wont/ cant help you, then I would defer going.
Get a job, save the money and then go. Might take you an extra one or two years.

A bit of research on here and thinking about your parents likely attitude should have flagged this up as a possibility.

Check you have a full decision from SFE and they havent just awarded you the minimum pending further details.

Theres no reason it has to prevent you in the long term and you will get to uni. By 25, then your parents income is no longer taken into account and you will be assessed as an independent adult. Same if you move out and are independent for 36 months.

If you cant go, then I understand its disappointing, but dont let it put you off and be patient.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Maybe you can postpone going to uni? Find a good job for about a year or so and save up for your uni. doing uni one year or 2 years late doesn't make a difference, I think.
Hi, some good advice above :smile:

Don't feel like you will miss out if you don't go this year, you will get a whole new crew of uni mates when you go so it doesn't matter if you start this year or next year. Also, having a year off to yourself could be a great thing before you start your course! If you do take a year out I'd really advise to try and use the time as best you can, get some relevant work experience in the area you think you might like to work in. That way if ya don't like the work experience it can save you a huge amount of time in later life. If you could try and use this time to try a few things out i.e. do a few weeks work experience in different companies/industries etc

Have you explored other possible options? What about apprenticeships? I've interviewed 100 graduates 10 years out of university about their career paths for a book I've written '1000 Years of Career Advice' and they all encourage young people to do apprenticeships/work experience as they are so much more valuable than degrees! Some of those apprenticeships schemes with big firms/organisations will have lots of people your age and can be nearly as much fun as uni! Anyway, they mightn't be for everyone, just something to consider

Also, I worked two jobs in Uni, so I had money to go out, maybe you could get a better well paying job in Surrey? Sounds like you have a few options, try not to worry about it. One of the main themes coming from the 100 interviewees in my book is 'don't worry, it will all work itself out' - what may seem as a big deal now, won't be at all in a year or two when you look back!

Good Luck! Am jealous of you going to uni, you'll have a great time!!!
Paul
I don't know what to do

- Check if your uni offers any scholarships/bursaries that you are eligible for
- Look for cheaper accommodation. A houseshare will be cheaper than halls of residence
- If all fails, it’s best you defer and save up.
I don't know what to do

Hey @Jaustin827,

Apologies for the late reply - TSR accidentally locked our account and it took nearly 3 weeks to sort out. But we're back now :smile:

Really sorry to hear that you've found yourself in this situation. As other users have advised, if you can't afford university this year, it might be a good idea to see if you can defer and work for a year instead to save up some money.

Going to uni when you can't realistically afford it would likely put a real strain on you, which could affect your studies and your health. We definitely don't want that to happen! As another user suggested, it would definitely be worth looking into degree apprenticeships. These are apprenticeships which are a mix of study and work; you get paid a salary and also gain a degree (which is funded by the company you work for)! You can find more info on degree apprenticeships here and also here.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with whatever route you choose! :biggrin:

All the best,
Ashley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending