The Student Room Group

Mypolicy Telematics reviews? Should i get it?

Every car that i quote for insurance (fiesta mk6 from 1.2 to 1.6l) 'mypolicy' is the cheapest at 1.1k whilst more than is 1.3k and others are 2k 3k etc. (2.2k for no black box) how good is my policy and what are its restrictions. For example say i always obey the speed limits and i never go over my annual mileages will i get any extra charges and would my policy suit me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bobwibbles
Every car that i quote for insurance (fiesta mk6 from 1.2 to 1.6l) 'mypolicy' is the cheapest at 1.1k whilst more than is 1.3k and others are 2k 3k etc. (2.2k for no black box) how good is my policy and what are its restrictions. For example say i always obey the speed limits and i never go over my annual mileages will i get any extra charges and would my policy suit me?

You'd be a fool to even consider it.
Reply 2

These policies are cheap for a reason, namely that they expect to bin off a substantial number of their customers for risky driving stats, thus minimising the chance that they need to pay out for an accident.

If you're one of the ones lucky enough to not be deemed a risky driver, then hurray, quids in, you're sorted. But it's a gamble with these things really, there's no accepted standard for what is risky behaviour vs what isn't, and there's little you can do if the insurer decides to cancel on you mid-policy.

So yeah, buyer beware, and definitely don't go for the cheap policy if you cannot afford a cancellation.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
The next one up is more than smart wheels. For 1.3k ish. Do u recommend that over mypolicy?
Reply 4
The next one up is more than smart wheels. For 1.3k ish. Do u recommend that over mypolicy?

Neither - no telematics policies.
Original post by IWMTom
Neither - no telematics policies.

This.
I got my telematics fitted by mypolicy around a month ago, It does not register bad driving very well. As even when I know I have not driven well or slightly above the speed limit for a substantial amount of time it has always returned as 10/10 on both speed and smoothness. My only issues are the limit on miles and the usage section of the device. With the miles I only have 5000 which at first seemed ideal, although I am now projected to overshoot this by around 3000 miles which would cost another £500 to add. And the usage always comes up as a minus number when leaving in the car after around 9pm. Apart from this I have no issue with the box
Reply 7
Original post by stylestom
I got my telematics fitted by mypolicy around a month ago, It does not register bad driving very well. As even when I know I have not driven well or slightly above the speed limit for a substantial amount of time it has always returned as 10/10 on both speed and smoothness. My only issues are the limit on miles and the usage section of the device. With the miles I only have 5000 which at first seemed ideal, although I am now projected to overshoot this by around 3000 miles which would cost another £500 to add. And the usage always comes up as a minus number when leaving in the car after around 9pm. Apart from this I have no issue with the box

Cheers for the honest opinion. Even better if they underestimate the speeding part 😂. If your saying mileage is the only problem. Then i will definitely vouch for my policy. I probs will be hardly using over 3000 miles annually. Or just incase ill quote higher miles. Otherwise your review of mypolicy sounds ideal 💯 and what i was expecting. I know others wud prefer no box.
Reply 8
Original post by stylestom

My experience is the exactly same. I've had the policy for about two months now. Its quite fair in terms of speed and braking however the usage scores are quite strict. However, the usage scores doesn't affect anything other than how much your top up miles cost.

I've declared 5000 miles as my annual mileage and it estimates that I'm going to go over by about a 1000. Which is going to cost me about £230. The miles is the main thing thats making me go crazy however that's the issue with the black box which I knew before I bought. But the price difference was £1500 with and without blackbox so decided to bite the bullet the first year of driving.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Ad00
My experience is the exactly same. I've had the policy for about two months now. Its quite fair in terms of speed and braking however the usage scores are quite strict. However, the usage scores doesn't affect anything other than how much your top up miles cost.

I've declared 5000 miles as my annual mileage and it estimates that I'm going to go over by about a 1000. Which is going to cost me about £230. The miles is the main thing thats making me go crazy however that's the issue with the black box which I knew before I bought. But the price difference was £1500 with and without blackbox so decided to bite the bullet the first year of driving.

Your top up miles are so cheap?! mine are 450 per 1k .

what are your driving habits for usage? Like when do you drive. I only get good usage stats if I drive before mid-day, otherwise they give me a bad usage score.

There really don't care about speeding and smoothness though, which is nice. But the usage stats are killing me.
Hi,
In regards to leaving the house after 9pm, what happens when the usage comes up as a minus and what does it mean? How often can you drive late at night without having to worry about being fined for high risk driving?
My policy is the cheapest quote I can find but I am worried about the black box so I need some guidance.
Thank you.
Original post by Mills105
Hi,
In regards to leaving the house after 9pm, what happens when the usage comes up as a minus and what does it mean? How often can you drive late at night without having to worry about being fined for high risk driving?
My policy is the cheapest quote I can find but I am worried about the black box so I need some guidance.
Thank you.

They're cheap for a reason, removal of a lot of a lot of factors help underwriters drive your premium down but ultimately it isn't worth it. Just don't do it, you should have known the restrictions by taking out that policy
Not sure if it is an option for you, but I had a black box with Bell (part of Admiral), and it was only required I had it installed for 3 months. It was self-installation as well, so I only had to be careful for a few months then I unplugged it. It claimed I would get a score and could get some money back if I drove well (I didn't get any money back lol) but I found it to be miles cheaper than any of the others.

My brother got a year-long black box with another company (their name escapes me) and he gets scores direct to his mobile, so he gets all sorts of minuses when going even 1mph over the speed limit or driving after 10pm, so he has to be more careful. But every now and again, if he drives well they put some money on a pre-paid debit card that he can spend anywhere - which is pretty nice
I have the same problem but at the end after a year with ncb my insurance went from £2200 all the way down to £795 ,ive basically saved £1400 initially based on drivinng behaviour 💪
I had the worst experience ever unhelpful not compassionate unreasonable staff and company money making and its a rip off shame on such companies simply a wolf wearing sheepskin, threats all the time and miss sell customers and overcharge you will lose more money i had the worst experience
I learnt reviews are important from this company. The extra money you pay for a better company works out cheaper.
Their "low price" comes with additional costs to change a couple minor details on the form that for me added £375 worth of costs as they were unclear when asking me the questions. They wouldn't even let me start using the insurance I had already paid for! As I was unaware of this I wanted to cancel and they wanted to charge me EVEN more for a cancellation fee, it had barely been an hour where is the respect for my consumer rights!!!!

After trying to directly sort out the situation with the company we were forced to contact the credit card company seeking advice and assistance. As the bank agreed this was an unfair cost they returned the money and a year later this company has gotten a collection agency involved and refuses to let me receive help from Ombudsman so that this could be a fair case.

This company does not care about the clients and the insurance company I moved to was much more respectful. It feels very sketchy and I would never trust them with any claim.

I was very calm and collected on the phone the supervisor I was passed onto was very rude and intimidating. I was a 17 year old girl on the other line and I can't help but feel he was abusing this power as a pass to be aggressive. Very very unprofessional and embarrassing.
(edited 5 years ago)
I learnt reviews are important from this company. The extra money you pay for a better company works out cheaper.
Their "low price" comes with additional costs to change a couple minor details on the form that for me added £375 worth of costs as they were unclear when asking me the questions. They wouldn't even let me start using the insurance I had already paid for! As I was unaware of this I wanted to cancel and they wanted to charge me EVEN more for a cancellation fee, it had barely been an hour where is the respect for my consumer rights!!!!

After trying to directly sort out the situation with the company we were forced to contact the credit card company seeking advice and assistance. As the bank agreed this was an unfair cost they returned the money and a year later this company has gotten a collection agency involved and refuses to let me receive help from Ombudsman so that this could be a fair case.

This company does not care about the clients and the insurance company I moved to was much more respectful. It feels very sketchy and I would never trust them with any claim.

I was very calm and collected on the phone the supervisor I was passed onto was very rude and intimidating. I was a 17 year old girl on the other line and I can't help but feel he was abusing this power as a pass to be aggressive. Very very unprofessional and embarrassing.
Reply 17
Absolutely! My sister was with them and they were pretty good! Literally do what you need to do to impress them and you get a discount! Telematics isn’t ideal but this is a really good company and I’d go for it - especially because of the price!
I called and said about the usage as I’m a career they said not to worry as it’s in 3 parts it’s your overall score they look at
Just to update. I ended up getting insurance for about 1k no black box with Admiral for an aygo 1st gen. 06 plate.
Waited a year since passing to buy a car and insure it. Was worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending