The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ash_moo
I was just wondering in terms of, would you be able to entirely support yourself through the money that you earn working?
It is possible, in theory. I would suggest that not only is it not much fun but that it would negatively impact your commitment to the course which requires you to be flexible and willing to work random lates, nights and weekends on very short notice.
Reply 41
Mush
Medicine is obviously a relatively demanding course.
Is it? :confused:
Reply 42
bright star
well that's just stupid to be quite honest!

I can understand where she is coming from though. I feel that at 21 I really should be self reliant by now and not having to rely on hand outs from mum and dad.

Ash-moo - it IS possible. I have managed to pretty much support myself. I earnt enough to supplement my loan during the first couple of years (I get only a tinsy bit more than the minimum) and even save a bit. Then I have used my savings from working during year 11/sixth form to finance from then onwards. Admittedly I live in Cardiff which is one of the cheapest student places and I don't think it would be as easy in London say, but with just over 2 years to go and looking at my bank statement now I think i will survive (just!) without my parents' help!

(but my parents do do things like pay for my first shop of the year, the occasional train ticket home, a bit of ink for my printer etc ...!! )

and I haven't had to skimp too much!
Reply 43
*tink*
I can understand where she is coming from though. I feel that at 21 I really should be self reliant by now and not having to rely on hand outs from mum and dad.

Ash-moo - it IS possible. I have managed to pretty much support myself. I earnt enough to supplement my loan during the first couple of years (I get only a tinsy bit more than the minimum) and even save a bit. Then I have used my savings from working during year 11/sixth form to finance from then onwards. Admittedly I live in Cardiff which is one of the cheapest student places and I don't think it would be as easy in London say, but with just over 2 years to go and looking at my bank statement now I think i will survive (just!) without my parents' help!

(but my parents do do things like pay for my first shop of the year, the occasional train ticket home, a bit of ink for my printer etc ...!! )

and I haven't had to skimp too much!

Makes me feel much better about it all, thanks :smile:

I am going to try, if it works, it works. If it doesn't, my parents will always be ready to help me out.
But yes, my medical course should be my first priority - understood :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending