The Student Room Group

Advise Plzzz On Medicine Transfers!!!

A friend of mine was rejected from all the uni's she applied to for medicine (notts,keele,manchester n leicester) She really badly wants to study medicine as do many people but was wondering if anyone knew about transfer options. Leicester have offered her a chance to transfer to medicine after the first year dependant on her gaining a first class during the first year. She also has Birmingham medical sciences as an option but she doesnt really want to do that and was wondering if there are any other options to get into medicine. Any help would be much appreciated. THANK YOU ALL!!!! :smile:
Reply 1
could do biomed.
I know theres the Thames Valley Univeristy- Pre medical option with Imperial also the Univeristy of Lincoln and Nottingham Uni one. But I dont know whether its too late to apply ?

Take the Leicester offer.
Reply 3
wouldnt the leicester offer just be really competetive because they have offered it to all rejectees and also if she doesnt make it its gonna be a watse of a whole year and then quite poissbly a waste of another 2 years finishing the medical physiology course
Reply 4
There are transfer options but they're extremely extremely competitive. (i.e. Bradford -> Leeds) I suppose it's better than nothing, but then you have to face the reality of if you don't get in at the first try (and these universities typically only offer one go at it) then you have to finish the degree you are currently enrolled on or drop out. Universities such as TVU do offer access to medicine routes but you need to fulfil a massive range of socio-economic conditions to even be eligible to apply. I think the best bet is that if she has the grades then she should just reapply next year.
Reply 5
she has all the grades but knows that if she takes a gap year its not gonna be constructive...and she's done loads of work experience relevent to medicine so it would be a wasted year. Any ideas anyone???????
Reply 6
one of my friends was in the same situation. so , he's now going to do biomedical sciences for two years, then go straight onto the medicine degree for four years... the only route for him when you've been rejected by your choices or if you havent obtained the grades...
Whatever way you look at it she's gonna have a "wasted year". She's going to be doing something she doesn't want to do in order to make it. So it really depends, the choices are as follows:

1. Re-apply next year (seemingly the best choice) (IMO)
2. Try the route to medicine course and work VERY HARD
3. Attempt to apply for a different route2medicine course (although that will also be hard)

Either way its a year of work, your friend just needs to decide which one would be best.

Good Luck
Reply 8
Believe me, as someone who wishes they were doing medicine studying a biological science, it is seriously hard work, even more so when it's not even what you wish you were studying for. I would seriously suggest she looks at taking a year out and reapplying next year, regardless of what it is she does, it'll be far more constructive than idling away at university for a year.
Reply 9
I would not consider graduate medicine as a realistic option unless your academics are too poor and cannot be corrected with resits (and even then you've actually got to do ****ing well in a degree.

If the reason for rejection was not academic, then there is no benefit in going to do biomed or whatever.
jamal987
wouldnt the leicester offer just be really competetive because they have offered it to all rejectees and also if she doesnt make it its gonna be a watse of a whole year and then quite poissbly a waste of another 2 years finishing the medical physiology course

Yes, I think they have very few places and many people will be after them.
Renal
I would not consider graduate medicine as a realistic option unless your academics are too poor and cannot be corrected with resits (and even then you've actually got to do ****ing well in a degree.

Agreed - my results were ****e beyond belief ive done an undergrad degree - had a fab time though doing my degree lived a proper student life. Would recommend it - but now theres so many people doing this route to be honest its not worth doing anymore.
Iscariot
Believe me, as someone who wishes they were doing medicine studying a biological science, it is seriously hard work, even more so when it's not even what you wish you were studying for. I would seriously suggest she looks at taking a year out and reapplying next year, regardless of what it is she does, it'll be far more constructive than idling away at university for a year.

Why have u done a course ur not interested in?? Purely to do medicine?
Im not picking on you but ive never quite understood myself. My undergrad degree was amazing and it was great.
Never thought of doing med until i realised i couldnt cope living in a lab all day.
Reply 13
jamal987
she has all the grades but knows that if she takes a gap year its not gonna be constructive...and she's done loads of work experience relevent to medicine so it would be a wasted year. Any ideas anyone???????

How is a year making money wasted?

some of these transfere courses have astronomical odds - for examples SGUL to med after biomed - ie into med 3rd year - its something like 20 places, competitive over the whole yeargroup. + you need 67%+ in your first 2 years. (the third being research/placement).

Sounds far too dodgy to rack up 3 years of student debt for.

As for bradford clinical sciences - I looked into that option when I was applying - its something like 7 places for a yeargroup of over 120. Direct entry routes (with 4 chances) are a far better bet.
Reply 14
fairy spangles
Why have u done a course ur not interested in?? Purely to do medicine?
Im not picking on you but ive never quite understood myself. My undergrad degree was amazing and it was great.
Never thought of doing med until i realised i couldnt cope living in a lab all day.

It's not that my course isn't interesting, I suppose aspects of it are. It's just that I don't get particularly thrilled by the manipulation of recombinant plasmids, etc. Some parts of the course are far more interesting like physiology and biochemistry. Looking back on it, I probably should have moved to the UK and done college here instead of sitting my A-levels abroad without any tuition/guidance at all. Having said that though, at least this way I'll graduate with a degree in something and provided my results stay as they are, hopefully with a first.

What I was trying to suggest to the OP was that if you really want to do medicine above all else and can't really see any other course interesting you, then I would aim to do medicine straight off the bat. I believe I probably made a bad decision choosing to do a degree in biomedical sciences regardless of the outcome of it and whether or not I find bits of it interesting. All this really is for me is a stepping stone and while my opinion may change during the final 14 months of my degree, I have spent many a November evening culturing bacteria wondering what the bloody point is.
Reply 15
I would tend to agree with Iscariot. The temptation is always there to do something so close to medicine you can half-convince yourself its what you're doing or that your on the right track when in fact you're going round in little circles. It was always the trap I risked falling into when I was on my resit year. I found it healthy and really quite cathartic to try and plan out a life that didn't involve medicine and actually make a go of it. I eventually ended up in medical school anyway that was the best thing that ever happened to me, but if it hadn't I don't think I'd have wanted to spend a lifetime pawing at the gates.

Latest

Trending

Trending