The Student Room Group

Color blindness and Chemical engineering.

I’m studying chemical engineering and i have color blindness, i know this will be a problem but I’m wondering how? And which jobs will i be able to get in?
Why are you expecting it to be a problem? How severe is it? It'll be an inconvenience but shouldn't stop you doing the job.
Reply 2
Because my sponsor has briefly discussed it with me. It’s not very severe as it is only a problem in shades of some colors like purple and when red and green are on top of each other but i can differentiate it a bit.
Reply 3
Are you worried about your course, or just jobs afterwards? For your course, just let whoever in your department/uni who is supposed to know (so that you aren't disadvantaged by e.g. assessed practicals involving coloured substances, colour on exam papers/lecture notes). I am sure they have made small changes to not disadvantage previous students doing your course who were colour blind.

Colour blindness is not uncommon. I am sure there are many colour blind people working as chemical engineers. Employers shouldn't discriminate against you when choosing candidates for a job, and should make reasonable adjustments for you in the interviewing process and doing the job. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Co,our blindness should not be an issue on your degree course.

However, many employers will require a medical after a job offer, but before signing an employment contract. Colour blindness may often be one of the pass/fail criteria.

It might be worth contacting a potential employer to see what they say at this early stage.

Quick Reply

Latest