The Student Room Group

cant get a bank account possible cifas marker PLEASE HELP

im going in to second year but have no bank account just been refused a basic account by hsbc i had all the id so wondering if ive got a cifas marker not sure why but natwest shut my bank account down . If i dont sort it ill have to quit uni as i cant live without my loan and need a bank account to get paid into anyone else has similar situation please help

Scroll to see replies

And you think asking random strangers on the internet is better than going and actually asking either of the banks?
Reply 2
Original post by Duncan2012
And you think asking random strangers on the internet is better than going and actually asking either of the banks?

Cant stand you smart asses on these forums. The banks won't explicitly tell you you have the cifas marker so yes asking random strangers who have had similar experiences IS better than going into any bank.
Reply 3
Original post by itcrally124
im going in to second year but have no bank account just been refused a basic account by hsbc i had all the id so wondering if ive got a cifas marker not sure why but natwest shut my bank account down . If i dont sort it ill have to quit uni as i cant live without my loan and need a bank account to get paid into anyone else has similar situation please help

open a monese and cash plus account the cash plus is the more recognized takes literally a couple days for accounts to be open and these are technically uk challenger banks similar to metro. with cifas you defo won't be accepted at metro. i haven't personally gone through student finance with the account but explore that option. i too have cifas marker first party fraud no matter what you read it cannot be remove accept this fact and try your best to move on with your life
How have you never had a bank account
Reply 5
Original post by shamz_93
open a monese and cash plus account the cash plus is the more recognized takes literally a couple days for accounts to be open and these are technically uk challenger banks similar to metro. with cifas you defo won't be accepted at metro. i haven't personally gone through student finance with the account but explore that option. i too have cifas marker first party fraud no matter what you read it cannot be remove accept this fact and try your best to move on with your life

Hi,

I’m in a similar situation. Planning on going uni 2019 September. Can’t open bank accounts with anyone, are you sure Monese will work for uni maintenance loan ? Or is cash plus better for that sort of stuff? (But I know with cash plus there are minor charges)
Reply 6

I’m 17 and 18 in late October. Can I open a monese or cashplus now? Response would be much apprecitars and do you have Instagram or can you personal message me so we can talk about this more?
heya, i was in the same situation and still currently have a cifas marker, 6 years to go until it goes! For now, i’ve been using an online/mobile bank called Loot or another one which is better is Monzo! I get my wages paid into it and it works like a normal bank, you receive a ‘debit’ mastercard prepaid card where you top up the card and use it anywhere like normal and it is also contactless, so it really helps for now!

Good luck and don’t worry too much x
Reply 8
Original post by GOI983
I’m 17 and 18 in late October. Can I open a monese or cashplus now? Response would be much apprecitars and do you have Instagram or can you personal message me so we can talk about this more?

sorry I've only seen this now think you have to be 18.. Shamz_93 is my insta
Reply 9
Original post by GOI983
Hi,

I’m in a similar situation. Planning on going uni 2019 September. Can’t open bank accounts with anyone, are you sure Monese will work for uni maintenance loan ? Or is cash plus better for that sort of stuff? (But I know with cash plus there are minor charges)

Cashplus is more recognized so i'd advice trying it with them I too want to apply for 2019 i just hope it works.
Reply 10
Cashplus is more recognized so i'd advice trying it with them I too want to apply for 2019 i just hope it works.

Because it takes BACs payments, it should work...
Loot.io is the best in my opinion, i have a cashplus account and some of the fees in that is too much for me. with loot there is hardly any fee
Original post by itcrally124

Loot.io is the best in my opinion, i have a cashplus account and some of the fees in that is too much for me. with loot there is hardly any fee and it works with student loans. i know this because im at uni right now using this card. i was glad when i found out it worked cause now i dont have to quit Uni
Reply 13
my younger brother is in the same boat with a first party fraud marker, he’s distraught so much so I’m arranging counselling as worried about his mental health. Your story has given hope that we may get an account via Monzo - but can I ask did you have a cat 6 (first party fraud marker)? Or DM me on Instagram @neeshat
Reply 14
I use Monzo bank as its completely free and should accept everyone
Reply 15
we’ll give them a try, thanks.
Reply 16
can you clafiy that cashplus and loot will not get shut because of a marker im about to get one i think and ive applied for cashplus, it wont get shut when the marker comes will it??
Reply 17
can you clrify that cashplus and loot wont get shut as im prolly about to get a cat 6 marker and i dont want to have to deal with them getting shut ive already applied for the cashplus. they wont gt shut will they??
Reply 18
Original post by tl0269y
can you clrify that cashplus and loot wont get shut as im prolly about to get a cat 6 marker and i dont want to have to deal with them getting shut ive already applied for the cashplus. they wont gt shut will they??

Monzo is better - no charges
Reply 19
Original post by GOI983
Monzo is better - no charges

yes for sure im going to apply but can you assure me they wont get shut down

Latest

Trending

Trending