The Student Room Group

Subject Knowledge Enhancement Courses MEGATHREAD

Scroll to see replies

This is so useful, thanks for this. I am currently weighing up between attending UWE for 16 weeks or doing a full 28 week online course with Eureka. I have a feeling that attending in-person will aid learning and force me to dedicate the full 25 hour per week. I'm most concerned about covering enough A-Level content, which they seem to do well so leaning towards this route. Downside is, as it's not 20 weeks or longer I can't go for the scholarship route :-(Might be worth it in the end though, get to mix with peers like you said. I've studied at the Open Uni so have no issue with self-study or distance-learning, but do feel this might be helpful given I am aiming to communicate the subject to others, not just pass the course
Original post by mathsandmadness
This is so useful, thanks for this. I am currently weighing up between attending UWE for 16 weeks or doing a full 28 week online course with Eureka. I have a feeling that attending in-person will aid learning and force me to dedicate the full 25 hour per week. I'm most concerned about covering enough A-Level content, which they seem to do well so leaning towards this route. Downside is, as it's not 20 weeks or longer I can't go for the scholarship route :-(Might be worth it in the end though, get to mix with peers like you said. I've studied at the Open Uni so have no issue with self-study or distance-learning, but do feel this might be helpful given I am aiming to communicate the subject to others, not just pass the course

It does sound like the in person course will have a lot of advantages for you- however, obviously it will be less flexible. I think if you can manage it around your existing commitments, then go for it!
I've just started my 28 week SKE in Computer Science and I'm already confused. Would love to connect with anyone else doing the SKE in CS and support each other...doesn't seem like my provider gives me much help lol.
Has anyone here completed a 28 week SKE in biology in less time than the 28 weeks? My degree is in psychology and I’ve been accepted to train to teach biology with psychology modules in September and my condition is to do the 28 week SKE in biology to brush up on the plant/animal side of things. However, the university got back to me too late and now the end of the 28 weeks will overlap with my course starting date! So I was wondering what people’s experiences are of putting in 30/40 hours a week and if they completed the SKE sooner? Thank you in advance!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ayseesme
Has anyone hear completed a 28 week SKE in biology in less time than the 28 weeks? My degree is in psychology and I’ve been accepted to train to teach biology with psychology modules in September and my condition is to do the 28 week SKE in biology to brush up on the plant/animal side of things. However, the university got back to me too late and now the end of the 28 weeks will overlap with my course starting date! So I was wondering what people’s experiences are of putting in 30/40 hours a week and if they completed the SKE sooner? Thank you in advance!

I did a 16 week SKE, and definitely could have completed it more quickly. Most SKEs are designed to be done part time, so about 15 hours a week- so in theory if you put in 30 hours a week, you could do it in half the time.

Bear in mind that if you finish early, you may not get the SKE bursary for the remaining weeks!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I did a 16 week SKE, and definitely could have completed it more quickly. Most SKEs are designed to be done part time, so about 15 hours a week- so in theory if you put in 30 hours a week, you could do it in half the time.

Bear in mind that if you finish early, you may not get the SKE bursary for the remaining weeks!

Thank you! Is it completed at your own pace or are you limited to how much you can complete in a week?
Thank you! Is it completed at your own pace or are you limited to how much you can complete in a week?

With the one I completed, the only real limitation was getting submitted work back, but you can submit as often and as regularly as you want, and you can always start the next topic before you get your submissions back.
Hi,
I have two conditional offers for my SCITT, one of them wants me to complete a minimum of 16 weeks SKE whilst the other wants a 8 week version. Personally, after nearly two decades of a Geophysical career, I'm now considering a teaching profession and so my curriculum level physics knowledge surely needs a refreshing.
My question is, will there be any advantage to take a longer SKE programme than a shorter one in terms of the subject knowledge apart from the bursary benefit. Like I said, I prefer to go in good depth with the subject knowledge during this opportunity as this is only a one time affair and will greatly help during my teaching.
None of the websites of the SKE providers seem to show any course content.
Any thoughts / suggestions comments will be greatly received.
Thanks
Original post by jinteach
Hi,
I have two conditional offers for my SCITT, one of them wants me to complete a minimum of 16 weeks SKE whilst the other wants a 8 week version. Personally, after nearly two decades of a Geophysical career, I'm now considering a teaching profession and so my curriculum level physics knowledge surely needs a refreshing.
My question is, will there be any advantage to take a longer SKE programme than a shorter one in terms of the subject knowledge apart from the bursary benefit. Like I said, I prefer to go in good depth with the subject knowledge during this opportunity as this is only a one time affair and will greatly help during my teaching.
None of the websites of the SKE providers seem to show any course content.
Any thoughts / suggestions comments will be greatly received.
Thanks

Hey! I’m currently doing a 20 week SKE for biology with eureka (my background is psychology) and eureka let you complete it at your own pace; so far I’m 3 weeks ahead so I’ll complete the work a lot quicker.
You definitely get more in depth knowledge with the longer course, as it will cover more topics and at GCSE and a level!
I’d recommend going with someone like Eureka where you can opt for the longer one, but get it completed sooner if time is an issue!
Hey! I’m currently doing a 20 week SKE for biology with eureka (my background is psychology) and eureka let you complete it at your own pace; so far I’m 3 weeks ahead so I’ll complete the work a lot quicker.
You definitely get more in depth knowledge with the longer course, as it will cover more topics and at GCSE and a level!
I’d recommend going with someone like Eureka where you can opt for the longer one, but get it completed sooner if time is an issue!

That's good to know, thanks. But, my training providers have their preference when it comes to SKE institutes. However, it is good to know that longer programmes have a detailed syllabus than the shorter ones.
I have commenced my 16 week Physics SKE with Vidlearn (University of Sussex). Has anyone done or doing similar course here. Just noticed that in the Core category, the subjects are titled as "A Level Physics" and "A Level Practical Physics", and the rest of the subjects including the GCSE equivalents for Physics are classified as Optional, does this mean I'm being prepared for the A level curriculum only or it just means that I'm covering everything from KS3 until A-Level.

Thanks
I have commenced my 16 week Physics SKE with Vidlearn (University of Sussex). Has anyone done or doing similar course here. Just noticed that in the Core category, the subjects are titled as "A Level Physics" and "A Level Practical Physics", and the rest of the subjects including the GCSE equivalents for Physics are classified as Optional, does this mean I'm being prepared for the A level curriculum only or it just means that I'm covering everything from KS3 until A-Level.

Thanks

Hi

I did the biology equivalent to this SKE. The 16 week SKE covers the A-level content, but for biology at least the GCSE covers similar topics to A-level, just in less depth. I would check out the optional GCSE content, and see if there is anything major you have missed. You can always study this after you finish the main course- you keep access to the SKE materials for a year, I believe.
Ok, that is good to know that we have access for a year after the course. I was given two choices for SKE , TES or Vidlearn, TES apparently primarily focusses on KS3 and 4 and depending on the length of the programme they include the A level content. Looks like there is a significant difference in the two approaches.
Since the training provider had specifically suggested these two options, I'm assuming they want me to mainly focus on A levels and presumably do a catching up for the lower levels as I progress. Would it be best to highlight this difference to the Training provider and the Placement School so that they don't just throw me straight into the KS3 thinking (assuming it will be easier) I have done my SKE already!!! OR am I worrying too much too early unnecessarily
Reply 33
Hey, one of my offers is conditional and asks that I complete the SKE course. However, I am still unsure which university I want to go to. Do I have to accept an offer before I'm able to take the SKE course? Or can I still take it and have it funded while I'm still deciding?
Original post by wiwa22
Hey, one of my offers is conditional and asks that I complete the SKE course. However, I am still unsure which university I want to go to. Do I have to accept an offer before I'm able to take the SKE course? Or can I still take it and have it funded while I'm still deciding?

You can always decide the University later but remember you need to be able to plan your course in the recommended time frame. And in my case I was recommended a 16 week course which meant I pretty much had to start straight away but they gave me two choices universities that I had to choose from so not much to do in terms of searching.
Original post by wiwa22

You need to have the offer in place before you can get the SKE course funded- you can only get funding if it is a condition of your offer.

You can always decide the University later but remember you need to be able to plan your course in the recommended time frame. And in my case I was recommended a 16 week course which meant I pretty much had to start straight away but they gave me two choices universities that I had to choose from so not much to do in terms of searching.

This isn't correct- you can't get funding if the SKE isn't a condition of your offer.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You need to have the offer in place before you can get the SKE course funded- you can only get funding if it is a condition of your offer.

This isn't correct- you can't get funding if the SKE isn't a condition of your offer.

Yes absolutely agree, my suggestion was the choice of university can always be done after accepting the offer... Obviously for funding to happen the course needs to be authorised by the ITT training provider.
Yes absolutely agree, my suggestion was the choice of university can always be done after accepting the offer... Obviously for funding to happen the course needs to be authorised by the ITT training provider.

You can't accept an offer without chosing an ITT provider. And unlike with undergraduate degrees, it is pretty rare to be able to swap between unis for a PGCE once you have accepted an offer.
When I meant "choice of university" I was referring to the University that was offering the SKE course. I understood the question as a confusion about choosing the university for SKE course and not the PGCE itself. Apologies if I had got this wrong...

Just to clarify, in my case I chose the ITT provider first (had a conditional offer) and then after chose between the two institutes that was provided to do my SKE, it was between University of Sussex (Vidlearn) and TES.

And my PGCE is also offered by University of Sussex, this is wrapped into the QTS schedule.
Reply 39

When I sign up for it though it asks me for a university and a contact email for someone there, I'm worried they'll think I've committed and accepted a place if I do that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending