The Student Room Group

Subject Knowledge Enhancement Courses MEGATHREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You need to have the offer in place before you can get the SKE course funded- you can only get funding if it is a condition of your offer.

This isn't correct- you can't get funding if the SKE isn't a condition of your offer.

It is a condition of my offer with this particular university, but I don't know if I want to go to that university yet. I'm unsure if it'll get funded if I haven't accepted the offer
Original post by wiwa22
It is a condition of my offer with this particular university, but I don't know if I want to go to that university yet. I'm unsure if it'll get funded if I haven't accepted the offer

Yeah, you can't start the course until you have accepted the offer.
Reply 42
Yeah, you can't start the course until you have accepted the offer.

Thanks for clearing that up. I won't sign up for it yet then :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by BassiBabes
I've just started my 28 week SKE in Computer Science and I'm already confused. Would love to connect with anyone else doing the SKE in CS and support each other...doesn't seem like my provider gives me much help lol.

I am also doing the 28 week SKE in computer Science. I feel your pain too!
Original post by smike87
I am also doing the 28 week SKE in computer Science. I feel your pain too!

Which provider are you using? There might be people on the thread who are able to help?
Reply 45
Hiya,I'm looking for some SKE advice from someone who's done a Science SKE. I'm currently nearing the end of a 28 week Biology SKE course and have now got to the practicals section. There are no practicals for me to attend due to COVID so I'm struggling with what I'm supposed to submit as part of my assignment. The GCSE asks for 10-12 slides and A Level 20-40, but what on specifically for the practicals?
Original post by rs94rs
Hiya,I'm looking for some SKE advice from someone who's done a Science SKE. I'm currently nearing the end of a 28 week Biology SKE course and have now got to the practicals section. There are no practicals for me to attend due to COVID so I'm struggling with what I'm supposed to submit as part of my assignment. The GCSE asks for 10-12 slides and A Level 20-40, but what on specifically for the practicals?

Hi

I did a science SKE, but was able to attend the practical sessions, so I didn't have to complete this part of the assignment.

Could you ask for a more detailed brief from your provider, or perhaps examples of past work (I know mine would show this to people if they were confused)?

For the GCSE required pracs, 10-12 slides will basically just cover a brief description of each practical, which I think is fine? There are some really good online simulations you could link to and perhaps explain how you'd use these with a class?
Hello!I am starting my 8 week design and technology course (food) online in July. However, I have a holiday booked in Greece the middle of July. (Still unsure if this will go ahead obviously due to the current situation). My tutor has still advised I do the course.I go on holiday for 10 nights, is it possible to complete the course? Also, how is work set? All in one chunk or set weekly? My plan is to do as much as possible before and then when I'm home if it is set in one chunk. I'd really appreciate some advise! P.s the holiday was booked before I was told about the course so I am a bit stressed! Thanks in advance.
Original post by meggytay48
Hello!I am starting my 8 week design and technology course (food) online in July. However, I have a holiday booked in Greece the middle of July. (Still unsure if this will go ahead obviously due to the current situation). My tutor has still advised I do the course.I go on holiday for 10 nights, is it possible to complete the course? Also, how is work set? All in one chunk or set weekly? My plan is to do as much as possible before and then when I'm home if it is set in one chunk. I'd really appreciate some advise! P.s the holiday was booked before I was told about the course so I am a bit stressed! Thanks in advance.

It will vary from provider to provider, but I could work through the SKE at my own pace. I was doing some freelancing and also travelling when I did mine, so if I had a quiet week I'd try to get a lot done, whereas if I was busy, I'd do less that week, and it was fine. The course is also designed to be part time (about 15 hours a week), so if you're willing to work hard at it, you could easily get it done before mid July.
It will vary from provider to provider, but I could work through the SKE at my own pace. I was doing some freelancing and also travelling when I did mine, so if I had a quiet week I'd try to get a lot done, whereas if I was busy, I'd do less that week, and it was fine. The course is also designed to be part time (about 15 hours a week), so if you're willing to work hard at it, you could easily get it done before mid July.

Thank you so much! This has made me feel relieved!
If I receive a conditional offer in which I have to take an SKE course, would it be wise for me to hand in my notice for my full time job if I receive the offer?
Reply 51
Hi, I'm just about to finish my 8 week SKE and I'm typing up my reflection. I cant get in touch with my tutor to ask what kind of things they are expecting. Would they want a break down of each individual lesson (15 videos) or just my experience? TIA
Reply 52
Original post by Bex3004
Hi, I'm just about to finish my 8 week SKE and I'm typing up my reflection. I cant get in touch with my tutor to ask what kind of things they are expecting. Would they want a break down of each individual lesson (15 videos) or just my experience? TIA

It's not a breakdown of each lesson, it's just your overall reflection of your experience doing the SKE. What you found difficult, what you enjoyed etc
has anyone done a maths ske and can share their experience of provider and assessments?
Yes, completed a 16 week Maths SKE at UWE (Bristol) last summer; currently on first placement.

Loved it, tutor is fantastic and couldn't stress how vital I feel in-person learning is for this kind of thing. Online is fine, but this is better. And for Maths, really live learning is far above online.

To be fair, we did actually go online after 4 weeks, but it was still live learning and accommodated very, very well. These courses force you to learn all avenues and see connections between topics you wouldn't otherwise. Only complaint was that it was only 16 weeks rather than 20; a bit more time would have been nice. When they get to A level, the course really move! You need to be on your game so lots of GCSE revision beforehand is essential in my opinion.

Took a bit of a financial hit over the online variants -> would make the same decision all over again. Best of luck!
So, I think that my question and situation may be unique.

Has anyone got any experience of gaining a teacher training place in a subject that isn’t what their degree is in?
My degree is English language and literature. When I applied to university, I was between choosing English or maths, picking the former. My passion and aim was always to teach in high schools, for various reasons, but the main is that it is my passion to teach and to help children. I love both subjects and very confident in both.
I don’t have the A level in maths, however, I did a foundation year at university prior to moving on to my full degree. My understanding is that foundation years are equivalent to A level and within the foundation year I had a maths module. I did extremely well in this module, actually getting a higher grade in this than any of my other modules, including English!
Now I am deciding which route to choose for my ITT.
I am wondering if a foundation year and the study of maths in this, would be enough, alongside a SKE, to be accepted.
Also, if I was able to be accepted and completed my PGCE and QTS, would I in the future be able to teach English? As my understanding is that your QTS is just that, not QTS in the subject.
Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by Rachgriffs
So, I think that my question and situation may be unique.

Has anyone got any experience of gaining a teacher training place in a subject that isn’t what their degree is in?
My degree is English language and literature. When I applied to university, I was between choosing English or maths, picking the former. My passion and aim was always to teach in high schools, for various reasons, but the main is that it is my passion to teach and to help children. I love both subjects and very confident in both.
I don’t have the A level in maths, however, I did a foundation year at university prior to moving on to my full degree. My understanding is that foundation years are equivalent to A level and within the foundation year I had a maths module. I did extremely well in this module, actually getting a higher grade in this than any of my other modules, including English!
Now I am deciding which route to choose for my ITT.
I am wondering if a foundation year and the study of maths in this, would be enough, alongside a SKE, to be accepted.
Also, if I was able to be accepted and completed my PGCE and QTS, would I in the future be able to teach English? As my understanding is that your QTS is just that, not QTS in the subject.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hey! QTS lets you teach anything, including primary and some colleges. However, it is unlikely you would be given a job in an area you are not trained in (why would they?).

Do you have an AS level in maths? This is accepted by a lot of providers, but you'd need to call them and ask. I don't know what the situation is with the foundation thing - I expect you'd still be accepted by some but they can be particular about AS and A levels. Again, call and check with the providers you're interested in.

Do the SKE in person, not online. Without a related degree, this will help with employment (and confidence) if you choose maths.

My background is history and I'd love to teach both. Although, it is easier to teach a related subject (ie STEM or economics or something). It really depends on where the school is desperate for staff, and how many part timers they employ, and a whole host of other things.

I hope to teach physics and maths at some stage, but history would be a bonus. First few years tho, really better to stick to one. I know a lot of teachers that say it is tough, even for experienced teachers, to switch between subjects. It adds a big time commitment. Good thing to offer up at interviews, tho!

(Currently doing the pg myself) I don't think it will hold me back finding a job, but it might make it harder if there's lots of people with full maths degrees applying, or some private/high attaining schools

Hope this helps!
Doing the SKE in person won't help with employment- and online is fine. The online providers tend to be better known by universities as well.
Anyone doing a SKE course with Eureka? Doing a 16 week maths SKE but not sure what the assessments and what the content are going to be focused on. Feel free to message me!
Doing the SKE in person won't help with employment- and online is fine. The online providers tend to be better known by universities as well.

Online is fine, yes. It's easier financially. The in-person are better, particularly if it's been some time since last using the knowledge.

What do you mean by better known? They will be well aware of the in-person courses as there aren't as many, and they are generally regarded as of a more consistent standard, where as online can vary dramatically

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending