The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mock: 1A*, a few A's, some B's and a C

Real: 5A* and 6 A grades

However, i did next to no work for my mocks.

No, scrap that, i did no work at all.
Mocks and predicted mixture of B's, C's and A's

Had a horrendous parents' evening where everyone said I could improve if I worked at it but I knew I didn't have the time / inclination to do that for all 10 gcses

Amazingly got 7 A*'s and 3 A's

Apparently my school mark the mocks really harshly so as to get your butt into gear for the real thing - no-one was more amazed than me :smile:
Reply 22
tom_tom_tom
I got U's

but on the real thing they went up to A*'s A's

so im not sure wot i was doin on my mocks :s-smilie:

your U's went up to A's and A*'s? haha wow did u fail on purpose first time round
and thanks everyone for replying and things X X (Y)
Elfin Doll
Mocks and predicted mixture of B's, C's and A's

Had a horrendous parents' evening where everyone said I could improve if I worked at it but I knew I didn't have the time / inclination to do that for all 10 gcses

Amazingly got 7 A*'s and 3 A's

Apparently my school mark the mocks really harshly so as to get your butt into gear for the real thing - no-one was more amazed than me :smile:

Sounds like it worked. :wink:

By the way, did you hear from Warwick for Economics in the end?
(I seem to remember you making a thread about it a while back.)
LyleandScott
your U's went up to A's and A*'s? haha wow did u fail on purpose first time round
and thanks everyone for replying and things X X (Y)

im not really sure :s-smilie:

i dont think i tryed in my mocks i was abit of a naughty so and so

choose to draw on the exam paper

i think i was abit cocky of my ability and then when i got U's was abit like wooopps

however we did do our mocks at the end of november so i had plenty of time do waste away even more time!
Reply 25
I got all A*s except PE in my mocks. As a result, I am absolutely petrified about my real exams because I'm frightened I'm going to get lower than my mocks and look really idiotic or that our mocks were too easy.
Mocks aren't a very accurate guideline as to what grade you are likely to get. I got As and Bs in most of my mocks, and ended up with As/A*s. I proved a lot of my teachers wrong. So (if you work hard) your grades should go up by 1 or 2 grades. Well done for doing well in your mocks, but don't let that make you complacent :smile:
Reply 27
Lulu*et*Moi
Mocks aren't a very accurate guideline as to what grade you are likely to get. I got As and Bs in most of my mocks, and ended up with As/A*s. I proved a lot of my teachers wrong. So (if you work hard) your grades should go up by 1 or 2 grades. Well done for doing well in your mocks, but don't let that make you complacent :smile:

I'm not complacent; quite the opposite. I'm so nervous nothing's going in and in the past week I've had at least 3 crying fits and lost my appetite over a few days.
monkee
I'm not complacent; quite the opposite. I'm so nervous nothing's going in and in the past week I've had at least 3 crying fits and lost my appetite over a few days.

Aww don't get worked up about them too much. You're clearly a very capable person, and I'm sure through hard work you'll get where you want :smile: Best of luck!
Reply 29
also how the HELL did you guys go up from U's to A*'s???
yeah i'm not worried about suddenly getting C's or anyting
i jsut wanna make sure, like you all said, that i dont become complacent..
i wanna push the A's all upto A*'s
mannn i'm jsut worried coz my school has been DRILLING it into us that GCSE's are the only ACTUAL results you have to show uni's, and BARE people are applying for oxbridge ETC so we all need like 8a*s...the average intake for oxbridge last year was like 8.5a*s at GCSE.
literally the week before we broke up we had FOUR meetings to tell us this...it was like YES WE KNOW thanks for the pressure....
okay yes thank you tout le monde
X X X
Reply 30
Lulu*et*Moi
Aww don't get worked up about them too much. You're clearly a very capable person, and I'm sure through hard work you'll get where you want :smile: Best of luck!

Thanks...fortunately, I have some really good friends who don't get angry when I get worked up :smile: I'm going to see my History teacher tomorrow to ask her what a good technique for History revision is, since that grade was a miracle (I did most of my revising the night before). How vital is a revision timetable to results?
Reply 31
tom_tom_tom
I got U's

but on the real thing they went up to A*'s A's

so im not sure wot i was doin on my mocks :s-smilie:

:ditto:
Reply 32
tom_tom_tom

i think i was abit cocky of my ability and then when i got U's was abit like wooopps!

haha yeah i did that in my last year maths exam...im ment to be in the top 3
then i got bottom of the class at 27% ha yess
i jsut kinda couldnt be ***** to revise if i thoguht i could get by without, my teachers go mental at me all the time....
Reply 33
LyleandScott
mannn i'm jsut worried coz my school has been DRILLING it into us that GCSE's are the only ACTUAL results you have to show uni's, and BARE people are applying for oxbridge ETC so we all need like 8a*s...the average intake for oxbridge last year was like 8.5a*s at GCSE.
literally the week before we broke up we had FOUR meetings to tell us this...it was like YES WE KNOW thanks for the pressure....
X X X

I honestly don't think they've got that right there...I went on the actual website and it said it will accept people with lower GCSEs as long as they show clear signs of improvement in A Levels...I can't see how, for example, if I get an A in Full Course RS, they would use that as a basis of deciding whether to accept or not.
Reply 34
Mocks, mostly Es and a few Cs... Real thing 3 As 6Bs 3 Cs and a D lol... Still crap.
Reply 35
monkee
I got all A*s except PE in my mocks. As a result, I am absolutely petrified about my real exams because I'm frightened I'm going to get lower than my mocks and look really idiotic or that our mocks were too easy.

get ill
break a leg
fake a death in the family
then they have to use your mock results (Y)
monkee
Thanks...fortunately, I have some really good friends who don't get angry when I get worked up :smile: I'm going to see my History teacher tomorrow to ask her what a good technique for History revision is, since that grade was a miracle (I did most of my revising the night before). How vital is a revision timetable to results?

Well to be honest, depending on how organised you are a revision timetable is not essential. I've never found a revision timetable effective as I never stick to it, but other people have their own opinions on it. Its useful because you can allocate how much time you want to spend on a particular subject, for example something you're facing difficulties in. Hope that helps, and sorry i can't really help you on the history revision, I never took it at GCSE :s-smilie: but asking a teacher is a wise thing to do..:smile:
Reply 37
LyleandScott
X X X

No it wasn't - unless you just mean from your school
As long as your GCSE's aren't **** it isn't too big a deal
Reply 38
monkee
I honestly don't think they've got that right there...I went on the actual website and it said it will accept people with lower GCSEs as long as they show clear signs of improvement in A Levels...I can't see how, for example, if I get an A in Full Course RS, they would use that as a basis of deciding whether to accept or not.

no my teachers didnt tell me that stat, it was a friend so its probably not right...yeah.
also i think it depends on your educational background like what school you went to i think..becaseu if u go to an amazing public skl and get 4a*s, yet some one from a less wonderful skl gets 4a*s, i think they would lean more towards the second person...if you get me?

also it has something to with personaloty and that becaseu a friend of mine had 12A*s and did LOADS of extra curicular stuff....chess club adn EVERYTING. but she got rejected ...yess
Hmm... my real marks were pretty much the same as my mocks.
For English Lang I was predicted a B, and got an A*. I was soo thrilled (and the teacher as well, after telling me for about a month that it was extremely hard to get an A*... haha!)
For English Lit I was predicted A* and got... A*.
For Spanish I was predicted A and got A*.
For Math I was predicted B and got A.
For History I was predicted A* and got A. Oh well..!
For Biology I was predicted A or B and got an A*.
And for Art I dunno what I was predicted. Anyway, I didn't expect any higher than the B I got. I'm crap at drawing.

I think that, in general, your real marks are higher than your mocks. At least, in my school, teachers used to tell us that they were a bit harsher so that we would study more and get higher marks in the real exams!

Latest