The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

kings comp sci

Im applying for Computer and Management Science. However, Kings does Computer and Management Studies. Is this the same thing? At first I thought it was, but the course code is slightly different. Warwick and Nottingham have the course code as GN42, but kings has it as G4N2. Does this mean that they are different, or does kings create course codes differently?
Thanks
Reply 1
I can't help you exactly but it may be what you said, where Kings has a different code, for example, i'm doin Law and the code is M100, whilst in Durham its M101, and thats the code usually for Law with a language!! I'd do a tad more research to stay on the safe side.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
I'm no expert on course codes but I think GN42 means 50% G4xx and 50% N2xx whereas G4N2 is 75% G4xx and 25% N2xx.

Edit:
From http://www.ucas.ac.uk/higher/courses/coding_principles.html

A second use of the third and fourth characters in the code is to allow for combinations of principal subjects within a single course. Where the two subjects are of equal importance (equally balanced combinations) this is indicated by placing the two group letters in the first and second position, and the principal subject digits in the third and fourth, eg Chemistry (Fl) and Mathematics (G1): FG11 or GF11.

[snip]

Where a smaller proportion of course time is devoted to studying the second subject, the code of the minor subject occupies the third and fourth positions, eg Chemistry (Fl) with Mathematics (G1): F1G1 or Mathematics (G1) with Chemistry (Fl): G1F1. Note that Chemistry is the major subject in the first example, whereas Mathematics is the major in the second.
Reply 3
thanks for the reply. Does that mean that if two courses (in different uni's) have "GN42", it is the same course? (ie you would get the same degree the end)?

Latest