The Student Room Group

UCL or KCL for Philosophy

I have an unconditional offer from both UCL & King’s for Philosophy but don’t know which one would be better for the course. I feel as though I prefer the modules at King’s and would enjoy my time there, but a lot of people I’ve told think it’d be a mistake to reject UCL. Which one is better for Philosophy?
Reply 1
Kings is the more diverse of the two in terms of topics and coverage.
Original post by s.Ellie
I have an unconditional offer from both UCL & King’s for Philosophy but don’t know which one would be better for the course. I feel as though I prefer the modules at King’s and would enjoy my time there, but a lot of people I’ve told think it’d be a mistake to reject UCL. Which one is better for Philosophy?

Erm, you answered your own question. Never give in to pressure from others. In terms of subject ranking (if you care), nothing in it.
(edited 1 year ago)
You may want to also check with both whether the programmes allow intercollegiate modules - you may in principle be able to take modules offered by one not available at the other if so, although the time to get between the unis may be impractical. Although on that note if UCL does permit intercollegiate modules for philosophy, SOAS is right next door and gives a very varied range of options and is close enough that you won't be constrained by having to get a tube from one to the other. Might be something to ask each uni (through email or at an open day) :smile: I think Birkbeck is also a possible option if they permit intercollegiate modules, although it's slightly further out but I believe still within walking distance?

Note if your interest is ancient philosophy the department of Greek & Latin at UCL normally runs a couple of philosophically oriented modules (I think they aim to have one text based one requiring the language(s), and one non-text based, minimally) each year, in addition to those run by the philosophy department. I expect you may find similar at KCL so if that's an area of interest look at which options seem to get offered at each. The department of Hebrew & Jewish studies at the UCL also sometimes runs modules in various areas of Jewish philosophy, although these are less regularly available.

@gjd800 is the professional philosopher here though so definitely take due note of his advice :wink:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by s.Ellie

UCL is a slightly higher up the rankings than Kings both in terms of subject rankings and uni ranking, but there is really nothing in it, and rankings should always be taken with a pinch of salt anyway, and keep changing, so I'd go with Kings if you find the modules more appealing.

Make sure you check the optional modulus though, and not just base your decision on the compulsories. My daughter is 1st year at Cambridge doing Philosophy, where there is zero choice in the 1st year, but she is super excited about the optional modules in year 2.
Original post by s.Ellie

Hey, 🥳 congratulations, I’m applying to kings and ucl both too. Would u mind sharing ur gcse and a level stats, as well as a level subjects. Btw which one did u end up choosing 😀
Reply 6
Original post by purpleorange11
Hey, 🥳 congratulations, I’m applying to kings and ucl both too. Would u mind sharing ur gcse and a level stats, as well as a level subjects. Btw which one did u end up choosing 😀

Thanks! My A-Level results were: A*, A, B (for Psych, Sociology & RS) - I qualify for contextual offers

My GCSE results were:
RS - 9
Combined Sci - 8-7
Maths - 7
History - 8
Eng Lit - 8
Eng Lang - 7
Comp Sci - 6
Art - 6

& I went with UCL in the end. Best of luck to you and your application, I hope it goes well! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending