Wow, congratulations :smile:

Thank you, what about you?
Original post by Lesmisgirl
Thank you, what about you?

You're welcome! I'm currently in lower sixth so I haven't applied yet :smile:
Original post by Lesmisgirl
unconditional offer for AMES at St Johns

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats, what language(s) are you doing?

I've got an offer for at Magdalene for Arabic and Persian
Just Arabic😁
Just popping in to ask if anyone is going to the AMES Faculty Open Day on Friday 11th March? I didn't realise that it was on the same day as the Einaudi World Premiere concert which I've already booked tickets for... :frown: Now it means that I have a very tough decision on my hands. Also has anyone applied for the Sutton Trust/UNIQ summer schools yet?
Original post by kholland
Just popping in to ask if anyone is going to the AMES Faculty Open Day on Friday 11th March? I didn't realise that it was on the same day as the Einaudi World Premiere concert which I've already booked tickets for... :frown: Now it means that I have a very tough decision on my hands. Also has anyone applied for the Sutton Trust/UNIQ summer schools yet?

If you can't go to a faculty open day, all departments/faculties are open on the University's Open Day, too. for presentation and guided tour.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/cambridge-open-days
Original post by vincrows
If you can't go to a faculty open day, all departments/faculties are open on the University's Open Day, too. for presentation and guided tour.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/cambridge-open-days

Thank you for your input! Unfortunately, I will be abroad (internship in China!) so I won't be able to attend the Open Day... :frown: I was counting on visiting the Faculty in March but still in the midst of deciding between the concert and the Open Day. Fingers crossed that I'll be accepted onto the Sutton Trust Summer School programme!

Don't know if I'll be able to go since I have school that day and my sixth form doesn't like students missing school for open days....:colonhash:
I've applied for the AMES Sutton Trust summer school!
Thank you for your input! Unfortunately, I will be abroad (internship in China!) so I won't be able to attend the Open Day... :frown: I was counting on visiting the Faculty in March but still in the midst of deciding between the concert and the Open Day. Fingers crossed that I'll be accepted onto the Sutton Trust Summer School programme!

That's so cool!! How did you happen to get an internship in China???

I wanted to go but I just realised it's in a Friday, so I might not be able to :frown: I wish they'd do it at the weekend!

I have applied to the Sutton Trust summer school, but not to any UNIQ ones as they don't do Oriental Studies :hmmm:
Original post by Marii101
Don't know if I'll be able to go since I have school that day and my sixth form doesn't like students missing school for open days....:colonhash:
I've applied for the AMES Sutton Trust summer school!

Original post by Steliata
I wanted to go but I just realised it's in a Friday, so I might not be able to :frown: I wish they'd do it at the weekend!

I have applied to the Sutton Trust summer school, but not to any UNIQ ones as they don't do Oriental Studies :hmmm:

Yeah, it's a bit inconvenient holding it on a Friday!

Looks like we've all applied for the Sutton Trust Summer School! Fingers crossed we'll all get in! With only 10 places available it looks like we're going to need a lot of luck, and of course a stellar academic background, to get in!

Yeah, it's a shame! At least it means that we saved a bit of time on writing a personal statement! Although, I need to make a move on starting to plan out what I want to include in mine for THIS (how crazy!) OCTOBER!!!
Original post by Marii101
That's so cool!! How did you happen to get an internship in China???

It's a wonderful opportunity, especially for me to brush up on my Chinese! It's connected to a placement I went on a few years ago! :h:
Have either of you got any super curricular activities planned up? It's pretty hard trying to find them, especially if there isn't a large Chinese/Japanese community where you live!
Yeah, it's a bit inconvenient holding it on a Friday!

Looks like we've all applied for the Sutton Trust Summer School! Fingers crossed we'll all get in! With only 10 places available it looks like we're going to need a lot of luck, and of course a stellar academic background, to get in!

Yeah, it's a shame! At least it means that we saved a bit of time on writing a personal statement! Although, I need to make a move on starting to plan out what I want to include in mine for THIS (how crazy!) OCTOBER!!!

It would be fab if we all got in! I dread to think how many have applied :s-smilie: Fortunately the decision is around May so I can just forget about it until then :biggrin:

And yeah, basically the reason I'm not choosing Oxford is their apparent lack of interest in Oriental Studies... There's only a few colleges that do it! Plus their year abroad is in second year which I find weird.

Crazy to think it's this October! The time will go so fast! Super curricular wise I'm not really sure what I'm going to do - aside from background reading there isn't really much to do. If only I was in Cambridge, I could go to the Monday night AMES lectures they do... :redface:
It would be fab if we all got in! I dread to think how many have applied :s-smilie: Fortunately the decision is around May so I can just forget about it until then :biggrin:

And yeah, basically the reason I'm not choosing Oxford is their apparent lack of interest in Oriental Studies... There's only a few colleges that do it! Plus their year abroad is in second year which I find weird.

Crazy to think it's this October! The time will go so fast! Super curricular wise I'm not really sure what I'm going to do - aside from background reading there isn't really much to do. If only I was in Cambridge, I could go to the Monday night AMES lectures they do... :redface:

I wouldn't think there were that many! If there was a large number of applicants I'm sure they wouldn't just allocate 10 places.

I wouldn't say there is a lack of interest for Oriental Studies, I just think with Oxford they focus more on the 'purer' subjects rather than a combination of disciplines within one. It's apparent through their lack of, for example, a course like Natural Sciences - but then again, I'm not too sure of the way 'the other place' works... But same here, I'd rather take the third year out. However, I feel as though if you already had a better grasp of the language then taking the second year out abroad would be a bit better, maybe it would accelerate learning as you get immersed sooner rather than later?

I know! I'm weirdly excited! Yeah, apart from reading there isn't a lot you can do. I mean self-teaching the language is always good.

YES! The one they have prepared for next Monday is all about Haikus! Eurgh... Another source of motivation for me to start revising!

How are you both doing in terms of school and revision? Hope everything is going to plan! Not long to go til exam season kicks in!
I wouldn't think there were that many! If there was a large number of applicants I'm sure they wouldn't just allocate 10 places.

I wouldn't say there is a lack of interest for Oriental Studies, I just think with Oxford they focus more on the 'purer' subjects rather than a combination of disciplines within one. It's apparent through their lack of, for example, a course like Natural Sciences - but then again, I'm not too sure of the way 'the other place' works... But same here, I'd rather take the third year out. However, I feel as though if you already had a better grasp of the language then taking the second year out abroad would be a bit better, maybe it would accelerate learning as you get immersed sooner rather than later?

I know! I'm weirdly excited! Yeah, apart from reading there isn't a lot you can do. I mean self-teaching the language is always good.

YES! The one they have prepared for next Monday is all about Haikus! Eurgh... Another source of motivation for me to start revising!

How are you both doing in terms of school and revision? Hope everything is going to plan! Not long to go til exam season kicks in!

What you say about the numbers of applicants to Sutton Trust and Oxford's courses are true. I'd never noticed that about Oxford but I'd never really considered it as somewhere I wanted to go anyway - Cambridge stole my heart when I went as a little girl! The broader scope at Cambridge suits me as well. Ah I keep finding even more things to love about it!

I'm so impatient about the wider reading, I feel like I'm not doing enough and I'm always looking for opportunities but not much comes up... Perks of being interested in a niche subject I guess haha

In terms of school and revision, I managed to get all my homework done on Friday night so I took the weekend off school work to try and get over this cold I've had. I felt this week that I'd let the stress get to me so I took it easy. It's paid off, even though I did no revision for my upcoming mocks I feel much better both physically and mentally. Ready to tackle school again in the morning. :smile:
What you say about the numbers of applicants to Sutton Trust and Oxford's courses are true. I'd never noticed that about Oxford but I'd never really considered it as somewhere I wanted to go anyway - Cambridge stole my heart when I went as a little girl! The broader scope at Cambridge suits me as well. Ah I keep finding even more things to love about it!

I'm so impatient about the wider reading, I feel like I'm not doing enough and I'm always looking for opportunities but not much comes up... Perks of being interested in a niche subject I guess haha

In terms of school and revision, I managed to get all my homework done on Friday night so I took the weekend off school work to try and get over this cold I've had. I felt this week that I'd let the stress get to me so I took it easy. It's paid off, even though I did no revision for my upcoming mocks I feel much better both physically and mentally. Ready to tackle school again in the morning. :smile:

I don't really pay attention to figures and stuff like that. I feel as though, if you, being any applicant, are suited to the course, have the right credentials, academic background then the Cambridge admission tutors will pick you. If they don't pick you, it might actually be for your own good!

Right now I'm just focusing on A-Levels and grasping every opportunity I can to explore a subject that I love! Reading relaxes me so I look forward to the 30 minutes I have each day! Though when I have tons of homework I have to skip out on this! Don't worry, you have the whole summer to read/explore all you like!

That's awesome, we're constantly learning anyway so a weekend off won't really do much harm! Hope you're feeling much better! Get well soon! :h:
@Marii101 Hi! I was looking at the Oxford page for Oriental Studies and saw that their next Open Day was on the 30th April! It's a Saturday which means there won't be problems with school and asking for a day off to take a look around the university!

As you say you're not yet decided between Oxford or Cambridge, this could be useful in your decision!

There are also some other dates in June which will be after exams (not sure about IB though, sorry) so they may work better for you!

I found this info from their Undergraduate Admissions page here:

http://www.orinst.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/admissions.html

Hope this helped in some way! :h:
@Marii101 Hi! I was looking at the Oxford page for Oriental Studies and saw that their next Open Day was on the 30th April! It's a Saturday which means there won't be problems with school and asking for a day off to take a look around the university!

As you say you're not yet decided between Oxford or Cambridge, this could be useful in your decision!

There are also some other dates in June which will be after exams (not sure about IB though, sorry) so they may work better for you!

I found this info from their Undergraduate Admissions page here:

http://www.orinst.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/admissions.html

Hope this helped in some way! :h:

Thank you so much! That was really thoughtful of you to search this up for me, I really appreciate it!!

I'm actually going to be attending the Cambridge one!! (after talking to my school) but I think I will also go to the Oxford one since I'm not yet decided.

Maybe I'll see you there :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending