The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
1. The sort of people that go to york university (quite alot of public school/ state school in comparison to Exeter, durham and Leeds?)

Some public school people, but fewer than i expected

2. What the course is like

Didn't do eco

3. Accomadation (i.e do you choose a college or are you place in it and what are the rooms like)

Colleges - which are halls of residence in all but name, ensuite, very similar to other universities.

4. Social life

Not so great, atmosphere isn't as social as other Unis, the college thing stops the uni from being 'together' properly yet doesn't for a stong bond between people in a college.

5. Campus

Badass piece of concrete with ducks. Lots of walkways to keep you dry when it rains though.
University of York
York
Reply 21
Looking at the stats on the York website, 93.68% white, 2% mixed, 2.29% Asian, 0.96% black, 0.73% Chinese, 0.35% "other". They also list the overall stats from HESA, and York does appear to be more "white" than the average
Reply 22
verse
how diverse is the studnent population in terms of nationality?

http://www.york.ac.uk/admin/po/stats/0607/main/os-nat.htm
Reply 23
laser
Looking at the stats on the York website, 93.68% white, 2% mixed, 2.29% Asian, 0.96% black, 0.73% Chinese, 0.35% "other". They also list the overall stats from HESA, and York does appear to be more "white" than the average

thanks. i looked all over and couldn't find the stats from the website. :p:

edit: and thanks balth for the link!
Reply 24
check out the Higher Education Statistics Agency. dont know any stats on ethnicity but check out york in this:

http://www.hesa.ac.uk/dox/dataTables/studentsAndQualifiers/download/institution0607.xls

gives you more info on demographics, etc. :-)
Reply 25
Quady

3. Accomadation (i.e do you choose a college or are you place in it and what are the rooms like)

Colleges - which are halls of residence in all but name, ensuite, very similar to other universities.

4. Social life

Not so great, atmosphere isn't as social as other Unis, the college thing stops the uni from being 'together' properly yet doesn't for a stong bond between people in a college.

Which college are you in, out of interest? I'd say how sociable it is varies on your college, I'd say I have a really strong attachment to my college. It's kinda what you make of it really
Yeah, college life is definitely what you make it. Some will just see it as their accommodation in first year, others will do sports, go specifically to their college events, buy a college hoody, become a member of the JCRC to organise events and freshers week and things... Or any combination of those
Reply 27
Yeah, the Club D's were pretty big events on the social calender for my block, we all made an effort with fancy dress (even for Beach D which 80% of the people there hadn't bothered to dress up for!). Going charity shopping for costumes is now a tradition :biggrin:
Reply 28
Alcuin, tbf I did just use it as accommodation. but they arnt proper colleges like oxbridge, you dont get taught in them and they have no money. money = power therefore they dont have power :P - unlike the oxbridge version.
The JCRCs do get given money for events, equipment and things, but I doubt it is the same as Oxbridge with the freedom of using it and the amount
Reply 30
xKTx
The JCRCs do get given money for events, equipment and things, but I doubt it is the same as Oxbridge with the freedom of using it and the amount

JCRCs get a budget, which isn't quite the same. They have an almost negligible amount of power on campus when compared to their Oxbridge cousins.
Reply 31
Some courses do teach by college - I've been told at least chemistry does.

There is a difference between just halls of residence and York colleges, although I'm sure most of that is just mental ("college spirit") rather than physical (although York does have the idea of departments belonging to colleges, lecture theatres being in college, etc, as opposed to many Unis where a halls of residence is just that, and is very segregated from the teaching).
Reply 32
Not all of the colleges have departments and not all of the departments have colleges, but there is still some cohesion. It's also possible you'll end up in the same college as your department, though that doesn't tend to be the norm. The collegiate is really what you make of it, and I must confess it means exceedingly little to me.
Reply 33
well i am/was chemistry. it just meant your tutor group was from your college. i didn't think it was any different to a purely random group.
Reply 34
xKTx

Yeah, it's only £1500-£1800 depending on the size of the college.
Reply 35
£1 per student, I think the headline was.

Latest

Trending

Trending