The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you are allowed to pick four, then I'd go for:

Maths, Biology, Chemistry and something like Economics or History.

If you get five, then:

Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Econ/History and ICT.

Having more than one science is usually necessary to do a science based degree, and Maths is an advantage in this field as well. As the latter also prepares well for a finance degree, you should be able to keep your options open.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

=D
angelmxxx
if the OP's thinking of studying dentistry then they'll need to make sure they take the right subjects + start getting work experience now, because it's so competitive!

Yes... but surely if the OP would actually secretly prefer to take French, English language, history and geography, a dentistry degree probably isn't right for them? A-levels and degrees don't match up at the best of times, but it's still a fairly good indicator - if you do A-levels you like, you'll end up doing a degree you like.

angelmxxx
i agree with the other posters about doing bio, chem, maths + english lit (+ further maths if you want), and I'd definitely suggest doing Eng Lit or Lang&Lit rather than just English language, because it's more reputable and will teach you skills which unis want... English Language is more about linguistics and studying the language, whereas Eng Lit is about analysing texts, so good for proving you can communicate (for dentistry)...

This rather generic list of subjects has come about entirely without the OP's influence, though. Why don't we hear what she wants to do?
affinity89
If you are allowed to pick four, then I'd go for:

Maths, Biology, Chemistry and something like Economics or History.

If you get five, then:

Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Econ/History and ICT.

Having more than one science is usually necessary to do a science based degree, and Maths is an advantage in this field as well. As the latter also prepares well for a finance degree, you should be able to keep your options open.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

=D

ICT is a waste for an IT/Computing based career.. she'd be better off with further maths or physics
I think you'll probably be best off if you just choose the subjects that you enjoy most, rather than basing them on any future career that you have in mind. You need to enjoy the subjects in order to enjoy the career. (IMO anyway)
trance addict
ICT is a waste for an IT/Computing based career.. she'd be better off with further maths or physics

It is not a waste of time for an ICT based career. A friend of mine has just accepted his place on a course to do Internet Computing having studied German, Religious Studies and ICT. Plus, if it was just to AS it shows future employers they have the technology skills required in most lines of work now whilst showing admissions tutors on IT courses (should they decide to go down that route) that it isn't a rash decision.
affinity89
It is not a waste of time for an ICT based career. A friend of mine has just accepted his place on a course to do Internet Computing having studied German, Religious Studies and ICT. Plus, if it was just to AS it shows future employers they have the technology skills required in most lines of work now whilst showing admissions tutors on IT courses (should they decide to go down that route) that it isn't a rash decision.

Well if they wanted to do a highly theoretical/practical course like computer science, then theyd be better off with maths or physics in my opinion
trance addict
Well if they wanted to do a highly theoretical/practical course like computer science, then theyd be better off with maths or physics in my opinion

He went for the subjects he enjoys and is good at. And, as he is doing his first choice degree course, I don't think it has held him back.

=D
LittleMissTwinkle
Pharmacy/Biomedical Sciences/Dentistry area,
Financial/Economics area,
Law,
and IT & Business area.

I'm not going to suggest you take anything at all because it's completely your choice and it should be up to you what subjects you take. However, you might like to know a mate of mine, who's doing 4 A2s in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, has had 5 Law offers, including Bristol and Durham. Your possible careers aren't too dissimilar in terms of possible A2s. :p:
LittleMissTwinkle
Thanks for this!

hmm.. thinking now, i don't like the sound of Law. i don't enjoy History, but then again i like english.

Essay subject, classics? I do it at AS and its intersting and piss easy, if you can get a B in english lit you can easily get an A in classics, plus its repected.
Reply 29
Do IB!!!!! (if you have the chance to) Then you could do:
Higher: Maths, Biology, Chemistry
Standard: English, a foreign language and economics/history
LittleMissTwinkle
Hi, im in year.11 and need to pick my subject's for alevel. but i don't know what career i want to go into.

i like the sound of

the Pharmacy/Biomedical Sciences/Dentistry area,

but then again, i want to go into the Financial/Economics area,

Law,

and IT & Business area.

:frown:

im so confused, in what alevels to pick, as to what career i want to go into.

i was exactly in your position ! lol...i wanted to either go into business/ economics or science... so i chose Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Maths, which is a really good combination because Biology and Chemistry are like complimentary subjects as if you learn more of one, you know more of the other and Maths and economics is a great combination!!
Reply 31
id reccomend economics as one of ur subjects as u expressed an interest in finance. most people i know have enjoyed it, lots of transferable skills and quite a well respected subject.

also as others have said i wouldnt choose based soley on what u think unis want to see. unless ur set on oxbrige and mabey a few of the other top 10 u should be aright with most combinations.
economics isn't offered at the school. :|
LittleMissTwinkle
economics isn't offered at the school. :|

If you take Business Studies instead, most universities are happy to accept it as an alternative if you are not given the option of economics.
oh right xD thanks!!

Latest