The Student Room Group

St. Andrews, Aberdeen, or Glasgow (international student)

I’m from the US and am currently applying to eight colleges between the US and Scotland. That’s a lot, but I have to have multiple options for economic reasons. Somehow I ended up researching colleges in Scotland and found there that I really really like:
St. Andrews
University of Aberdeen
University of Glasgow

Money wise, Aberdeen seems like my best option and I really think I would be happy at any of them. Does anyone have any advice for applying to them through the common application? As an American, what are my chances of getting in in general? Comparing the three, which do you think would be my best option, economically, as an international student?

Thank you, and sorry if this isn’t quite the right place. Any advice is welcome, this is such a new thing for me
What is it money-wise that's better about Aberdeen? I've heard that rent isn't particularly cheap there, because of the oil industry, and the city is going through some pretty tough times atm because of that. RGU, which is another uni based in Aberdeen reckons rent is between £380 - 680 per month. Tbh I would have guessed at Glasgow being the cheapest place, but I haven't looked at fees or anything else like that.

RBS student living index (https://personal.rbs.co.uk/content/dam/rbs_co_uk/Life%20Moments/Students/student-living-index.PDF) says average rents are:

St Andrews £543.94
Aberdeen £403.19
Glasgow £373.48

but do bear in mind that they don't have huge sample sizes for those figures!
Aberdeen is cheaper than Glasgow - at least if you decide to stay in halls. Halls start from 89 pounds per week in Aberdeen, in Glasgow they’re all above 100 pounds.

I’d say apply to all three and then decide. Glasgow is the second best Uni in Scotland after Edinburgh, and Aberdeen has surpassed St Andrews in the Times Higher Education Rankings 2019, and has been voted Scottish University of the Year.

I studied in Aberdeen and I loved the uni. It is such a welcoming place, everyone is super helpful and there is always something happening on campus.
The gym is huge and it offers so many courses, plus the Uni itself is home to hundreds of great societies and sport clubs.

I can’t comment on Glasgow or St Andrews, because I haven’t studied there.

I know though that Aberdeen is one of the most international universities in the UK and in my course there were a lot of US students as well.
I actually only met around 10 people from Scotland, everyone else was international. But that may have just been because of my course.
St Andrews and Edinburgh are both pretty prestigious if you’re into ranking and are well known. That being said I studied at Aberdeen and loved it. Some of my best experiences were from there and the friends I’ve made are for life. I would definitely recommend studying there.

Regardless of what university you choose to go to please always remember it is you who make the university. So don’t be swayed by ranking or prestige. Choose what’s good for you and then make something out of your experience and time there.
All three are 'ancient' Universities with Edinburgh being the youngest, Aberdeen the middle child and Glasgow as the older one.

Global Rankings:
Edinburgh (20 - 40th)
Glasgow (90 - 120th)
Aberdeen (130 - 160th)

All are great, Edinburgh is the most internationally recognized one but the University of Aberdeen is amazing and I'm biased towards it.
Hey there am from India and am planning to apply for Dundee for International Business and HR Management plus am an horticulture student so am planning on applying for Aberdeen for sustainability transitions so any suggestions on this

Quick Reply

Latest