The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sohanshah
Hi all :hello:

I'm applying for 2009 entry to Universities and am hoping to get 2 offers for 2010 entry, the reason being I'm only 15 still and am in Year 12 i.e. AS-Level.

I was just wondering what you all have chosen / are going to be choosing for your 4 University choices. mine are currently not fully decided but I have a shortlist:

Cambridge

Liverpool

Imperial

Manchester

Nottingham

What I don't get is why your choices are so different in structure. What criteria are you actually using to select these places? Why do you want to go to them? Surely if you like Cambridges and manchesters structure you'd be considering St Andrews? Liverpool and perhaps nottingham are complete oddballs in this list.
Reply 241
ThePenguinMafia
What I don't get is why your choices are so different in structure. What criteria are you actually using to select these places? Why do you want to go to them? Surely if you like Cambridges and manchesters structure you'd be considering St Andrews? Liverpool and perhaps nottingham are complete oddballs in this list.

Eh? If you're following your own rules surely Cambridge and Manchester are polar opposites.
Reply 242
ThePenguinMafia

My list has since changed to:

Cambridge (simply for the tutorials)
Nottingham (Integrated Course)
Liverpool (Integrated Course)
UCL (Integrated Course)
Isometrix
so you will get mugged...but just not on campus?
can i ask where are the other places you got offers from?

Yes you can...

Manchester, Liverpool and King's
Reply 244
sohanshah

Liverpool (Integrated Course)

Liverpool is PBL
Reply 245
Well Im thinking of Applying to:

UCL
Imperial
St Georges (Mabey)
Reply 246
Alex D
Liverpool is PBL

Not fully as in to the extent to Manchester's standards.
It looked like a good teaching course nevertheess.
Reply 247
jjkkll
Well Im thinking of Applying to:

UCL
Imperial
St Georges (Mabey)

YAAAAAAY!!!! i have recruited a St George's applicant :biggrin:
liverpool has tons of pbhell.

A major problem with all this picking and choosing is that you're having to question teaching styles you've never been subjected to. I daresay I hate PBL now, as many others subjected to it will no doubt agree; but still many much smarter people than I swear by it (though equally of more traditional methods).

I remember all those centuries ago (you know, 2004) when I went to the open day at Liverpool. I was told by the prof there that you're expected to direct your application towards their style of teaching; an action which would of course be suicide towards other applications if not of a similar style to Liverpools. He exaggerated the point, and I know people who got in without doing that, but perhaps there's still something in it. I get the impression that they do expect you to base your choices on course structure, and "which other universities have you applied to?" is not an uncommon question. Applying to very different courses may have bad consequences, in addition to suggesting your reasons for applying may be flawed (up for debate, I'll admit).

Oh, about manchester being a polar opposite to camb. As far I can recall it is and it isn't. I think manc is a non-integrated but PBL course, sharing 50% similarity with camb. At 21, though, I'm going somewhat senile. I'll leave this to you younguns applying next year.
Reply 249
ThePenguinMafia
I was told by the prof there that you're expected to direct your application towards their style of teaching; an action which would of course be suicide towards other applications if not of a similar style to Liverpools. He exaggerated the point, and I know people who got in without doing that, but perhaps there's still something in it.

in your application's personal statement, you are not commenting on why you like a specific course or a specific teaching style. medicine as a caree, is what you are emphysising.
I never said I agreed with him on whether you should.
Reply 251
i didnt say you did, i was just pointing out his misleading comments to other applicants.
Reply 252
ucl
imperial
edinburgh
oxford/somewhere else for .. if i dont get in anywhere
:smile:

now.. ukcat and bmat awaits after the summer :frown:
Isometrix
pardon my ignorance but isn't it also the country's most notorious city in terms of crime? call me what you want but that's mainly why i'm not applying there.

That's crazy. I didn't like Nottingham, but crime's got nothing to do with that.

Every town has bad areas. There are places everywhere that I wouldn't even dare to go to at night.

And it's only notorious for gun crime.
I've got a bit of a shortlist now.
Nottingham
Keele
BSMS
Peninsula
KCL
Cambridge
Imperial
UCL
Oxford

It'll probably be:
Cambridge
Imperial/UCL
Nottingham
Keele

If anyone is curious about my choices:my only real requirements is that it wasn't completely traditional and isolated (i.e. St Andrews). Cambridge has a traditional course but the tutorials, excellent and scientific teaching along with the less isolated location attracted me. The clinical is a bit of a down side, but I think I will be able to cope and I don't believe it is vital to have early clinical contact to be a good doctor as long as you have reasonable communication skills and understand what a career in medicine really is. The option of the intercalated degree sounds good. I also didn't want a completely PBL based course so that rules out a lot of places. However I liked Keele's PBL course - it wasn't quite as intense and it was balanced with teaching and lab practicals. The curriculum seemed very well planned at the open day. They had amazing facilities and everyone was really enthsiatic being a new medical school. Nottingham had an amazing clinical school - really thorough in training you as a good doctor and you get to do an integrated degree (wins brownie points on CV).

I haven't been to either UCL/Imperial yet but the idea of being surrounded by the best and widest selection of hospitals in the country (being in London that is) can only ever be a positive. Barts is too PBL for me and I don't know if I fancy being surrounded by just medics and dentists anyway.

However I haven't seen some of the unis yet and I don't even know if my AS grades will allow me to apply for medicine.
Dentistry is better BTW.
Reply 256
Speedbird2008
Dentistry is better BTW.

You're in the wrong forum, pal.
Reply 257
Speedbird2008
Dentistry is better BTW.

since when? enlighten us, speedbird!
Reply 258
x.beth.x
I haven't been to either UCL/Imperial yet but the idea of being surrounded by the best and widest selection of hospitals in the country (being in London that is) can only ever be a positive. Barts is too PBL for me and I don't know if I fancy being surrounded by just medics and dentists anyway.

how about St George's?? see my sig for reasons! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending