The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1
Grey
Is it possible to take the same language module throughout the duration of your course so you could effectively leave with a language, i.e. is it possible to take italian beginner modules, then intermediate, then advanced throughout your whole degree because i dont want to leave UCL without picking up an extra language!!!

If your department lets you then yes you can. However some degrees like Law and English don't let you take many/any outside modules.
You could do what I've started to do and take an evening course in a language though.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Yup, I started taking Icelandic, and I do geography. But won't be doing it next year though, cos i'd prefer focusing on Geo, but it all depends on department.
some may not be too keen on it and other departments may not want to take you in.
i've got friends doing french or german tho instead of a specific geography module.
Reply 3
You might not be able to do a language doing a science subjects (you have like 0.5 unit or completely no option in the first two years), also if you manage to do one as a 0.5 unit course, you'll end up actually knowing less of the stuff that you really need
Reply 4
I was told by the chemistry department that you can take modules from outside the department so long as the timetabling fits. It's all decided during freshers week I think.
Reply 5
Grey
Is it possible to take the same language module throughout the duration of your course so you could effectively leave with a language, i.e. is it possible to take italian beginner modules, then intermediate, then advanced throughout your whole degree because i dont want to leave UCL without picking up an extra language!!!

If you want to take a language for academic credit then it depends on the department. For instance, my department is Psych and in Year 1 I am given a full unit to take courses from anywhere in UCL, so for instance I could do a half unit in Italian and then a half in something like Physics. In Year 2, however, this is cut to just one half-unit, and even with this most people are recommended to take "Computing for Psychologists" as its useful in Year 3, etc. In the final year, we have no elective quota, so cannot take any module outside the home department at all.

However, you can sign up to evening classes through the UCL Language Centre, though this is expensive. For £200 for 2 terms, you get a 20 week course in a language, depending on your level, 2 hours a week. The teaching is of a very high standard, in my opinion better than taking a language for academic credit. The classes run in the evenings as I said, so they shouldn't clash with your lectures. You can also take a third term class (though depends if you wanna do this during exam season) for I think its something like an extra £80. You advance a level in two terms, so in theory if you also studied during summer terms you could be almost at level 5 by the time you finish a three year course.

Definitely consider the latter option, perhaps just after your first year when you might be limited in doing language courses as a subsidiary. The only negatives to it are the cost, the very mild annoyance that you're not getting credit for it, and the occasional moany "I can't be bothered to go!" or "It's too wet out!" that I sometimes had, and then felt guilty that each class I miss is a waste of £10 effectively. Hope this info has helped!

Latest

Trending

Trending