The Student Room Group

AQA I.C.T Test Tomorrow

Anybody have any thoughts on what might come up.

I have a feeling that theirs going to be more IT in society stuff :s-smilie:

Anybody else think that this years exam will be harder than previous years. With a grade boundary of 74 out of 80 for A* last year, you'd think that they would have made this years harder. I mean who actually works for the full hour and a half? Most people at my school are done before a hour is up!

Scroll to see replies

I'm hoping it's identical to the mock. I got 100% in 40 minutes. But then a chimp could have passed that test. So many tick boxes.

I think ICT in society is a good bet, operating system, input + ouput devices. Then a long advantages questions email, internet, internet shopping, computers over manual, something like that. Maybe graphical interfaces too and the data protection act. Can't think of anything else. Can you?
Reply 2
I completely forgot I had this exam tomorrow. :biggrin:

Yeah, pretty much everyone at ours finishes quickly then goes to sleep.
And I agree with the society stuff, shame.
My teacher was hinting heavily towards the Data Protection Act but I'm not sure if I believe him.
Hope the questions are as decent as the mocks I've done!
Reply 3
StabiloBoss
I'm hoping it's identical to the mock. I got 100% in 40 minutes. But then a chimp could have passed that test. So many tick boxes.

I think ICT in society is a good bet, operating system, input + ouput devices. Then a long advantages questions email, internet, internet shopping, computers over manual, something like that. Maybe graphical interfaces too and the data protection act. Can't think of anything else. Can you?

The more tick boxes the better!
Reply 4
AQA ICT. I do this and the exam alone makes me cry. It's just common sense. And yes, so many tick boxes. A chimp on vicodin could get a respectable mark on that. I wish my other exams were this easy...

Good luck to everyone who's doing it!!

Also, how many marks (approx) would I need to get to get an A*? I've got full marks for the coursework (hope that's the case after moderation too) which gives me 60% already.
Reply 5
I have not even thought about this exam - more worried about English Lit.

As for A*, if you got full marks on the coursework, I probably guess you would need around 65-75 % in the paper to get an A*.

Of course, it all depends on the grade boundaries.
Last year the 10 mark question was about health and safety so I dounbt that will come up again this year. It probably will be about online shopping, e-mail...
Reply 7
Online shopping was the one for 2005 or 2006 I think.

Probably going to be comparing different means of communication eg. email vs telephone
Reply 8
I Have No Imagination
Last year the 10 mark question was about health and safety so I dounbt that will come up again this year. It probably will be about online shopping, e-mail...

there's ten mark questions? Since When?? :rolleyes:
Reply 9
I assume you are spec A? Because i'm on Spec B and my exam is two hours and out of 120.

My teacher told us they may well be recycling questions from 2004 and 2005 (I forget his reason why), but even so it is shockingly easy. And thankfully my coursework is full marks so I will be able to get an A* with a fairly low mark :biggrin:
Reply 10
yeh im spec b too
I think I was a couple of marks off an A for my year 10 c/w, then a couple off an A* for my year 11. So hoping this exam will get me my A.
Reply 12
Sorry. Thought you were talking about Spec A. Our exam is 90 minutes long and there is always a long, essay type question at the end.
Reply 13
ooo...unlucky man...i do feel for you....but saying that the same will probs come up in ours.....HA!!!!!
Reply 14
We have a long essay type question too (Spec B). However, it is quite easy to score full marks if you're lucid and effective in conveying the simplest of ideas.
The end of AQA spec A (I think), only had two 3 mark questions and a 4.
I was expecting two 5s like in the mock, so that was good.

Found the paper alright overall, I told you the Data Protection Act was coming :wink:
Reply 16
Spec B here.

What a bloody bizarre paper! Especially the first question, what were they testing? Visual Skills? I had some time trouble but generally found it easy (it was kind of a make-up-as-you-go-along type paper). Hopefully I'll get enough marks for an A*.

How did everyone else feel?
Reply 17
What questions did you have just so I know what specification that I did. Found it really easy and the data protection act is just common sense really!
Reply 18
I did the Spec A paper today. It was quite easy actually - all the usual questions, DTP software, Data Protection Act - and a lot on validation and verification.
Spec A had that silly one with the robot where I had to keep counting the squares.

Last few questions were about data in a company's system and how it can be incorrect.

Latest