The Student Room Group

Sheffield or Bristol for Civil Engineering?

I am having trouble choosing between Bristol and Sheffield University to study civil engineering in.

I have visited both in my applicant days and am having trouble which one to firm. I was set on Bristol when applying but when I went to Sheffield, I am now split between the two as the diamond and course looked so good. Bristol I know also had a good course but the building did not impress me as much as Sheffield’s (maybe because it looks old). Bristol offered a contextual AAB offer while Sheffield given their usual AAA offer.

I also have a few questions:

I heard that Bristol is quite competitive, so are the standards the same in Sheffield?

Which one is better for structural or transport engineering?

If I barely scrape an AAB since Bristols so competitive, will I be able to cope with the course?

Which uni has better industry links?
Reply 1
Original post by jdominic
I am having trouble choosing between Bristol and Sheffield University to study civil engineering in.

I have visited both in my applicant days and am having trouble which one to firm. I was set on Bristol when applying but when I went to Sheffield, I am now split between the two as the diamond and course looked so good. Bristol I know also had a good course but the building did not impress me as much as Sheffield’s (maybe because it looks old). Bristol offered a contextual AAB offer while Sheffield given their usual AAA offer.

I heard that Bristol is quite competitive, so are the standards the same in Sheffield?

If I barely scrape an AAB since Bristols so competitive, will I be able to cope with the course?

Both are a good choice. If you preferred the course and "feel" of Sheffield firm them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jdominic

The poster helloworld is at Sheffield , think hes a community assistant.
Reply 3
Funny you should ask this, I'm just about to finish in 2 months the BEng Civil Engineering at Bristol and am going to study a Masters in Hydrology at a different university.

From what you wrote the thing that sticks out to me is you asking if by scraping AAB you'd struggle at Bristol. I would say that would depend on your 1st year. Reason being, at Bristol, there will *absolutely/no doubt/100% be people who will work hard from day one while there will also be people who won't get off to a good start at all by not working and you have to choose which of those people you'd be. I know quite a few people who scraped into Bristol, did not work at the beginning (*the clincher), and that has dictated pretty much their whole university career. If you start working from the beginning, you would be absolutely fine with the course at Bristol and probably actually surprise yourself with how well you could do within your cohort. The worst thing is when people don't take the course seriously.

As to whether structural and transport are decent. I would say it's hardly worth thinking about, civil engineering is so broad and you'll begin to like things you didn't even know existed. If you're interested in civil engineering in general, that's enough to make a decision with.

I would definitely put Bristol down if you can afford to on your application in terms of still having 'back up' options. You might well get in with grades you thought might not get you in, don't take my word for it though!

Overall Bristol is an incredible experience - to be a bit more specific I mean it because it is insane how much I've learned personally in just 3 years. Last piece of advice - watch out for the toxic relationships!

All the best
D
Sheffield is usually quite lenient with regards to meeting their offers and you'll probably be ok down to ABB but I won't say it's definite as things can change year-on-year. As long as you get a B in Maths you'll have no problem getting through Sheffield's courses I'd say.

Unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about their Civil department as it's very isolated from the other engineering departments, only thing I know is that their Earthquake Engineering stuff is some of the best in the world, which is surprising seeing as there's not a whole lot of earthquakes in the UK.
Try and not let other people's experiences influence you too much - remember, someone could absolutely hate it but you could end up loving it & vice versa.
Have a look at the modules of both courses. Is there anything unique to one university in regards to modules?
What about the facilities?
Have you been to visit either of the universities, if so, what were your thoughts?
Have you looked through the videos about both of these universities?
Think about the cities, which one would you most enjoy living in?
What societies are on offer at each university, that you'd enjoy? - e.g. think about your hobbies, if you enjoy going on nights out, visiting museums etc
Is there anything unique to one of the universities, that you'd be interested in?
Which one is more expensive?
Could you see yourself at one of those universities, but not the other?

Try also looking at a course comparison over at UniStats - http://unistats.direct.gov.uk
Also have a look at The Complete University guide's to both university, it might be able to help you out.
Bristol - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/bristol/
Sheffield - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/sheffield/
Original post by Helloworld_95
Unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about their Civil department as it's very isolated from the other engineering departments, only thing I know is that their Earthquake Engineering stuff is some of the best in the world, which is surprising seeing as there's not a whole lot of earthquakes in the UK.

I disagree with that, I don't think it's any more/less isolated than any of the other department. When the building works finish, it'll be less so.
Original post by marinade
I disagree with that, I don't think it's any more/less isolated than any of the other department. When the building works finish, it'll be less so.

Again, I think you're misunderstanding. I mean isolated as in there is less opportunities for Civil students to interact with the other departments. Mechanical, EEE, ACSE, Aerospace, and Bio interact constantly as there is a lot of overlap in their classes, work, and extracurricular projects of interest. Civil and Chemical don't share nearly as much of an overlap with these courses/departments, that's why I don't know much about it, because out of the hundreds of engineering students I've met during my time at Sheffield I can name three that I've met during something engineering related compared to dozens upon dozens from other disciplines. Two of those were from GEC/EYH, and the other was from dabbling in EWB.
I see. Everyone says that about ASCE and I don't see it. Your experiences are important but many students complain of what you are describing irrespective of subject or university! It is the nature of modern university life with 30 000 students, 24 hour libraries, laptops and endless coffee shops and eateries where students are connected but not connected to anyone.
Again, I think you're misunderstanding. I mean isolated as in there is less opportunities for Civil students to interact with the other departments. Mechanical, EEE, ACSE, Aerospace, and Bio interact constantly as there is a lot of overlap in their classes, work, and extracurricular projects of interest. Civil and Chemical don't share nearly as much of an overlap with these courses/departments, that's why I don't know much about it, because out of the hundreds of engineering students I've met during my time at Sheffield I can name three that I've met during something engineering related compared to dozens upon dozens from other disciplines. Two of those were from GEC/EYH, and the other was from dabbling in EWB.
Reply 9
Be sure to look at the modules. Bristol for example doesn't have good highway engineering modules.
Original post by marinade
I see. Everyone says that about ASCE and I don't see it. Your experiences are important but many students complain of what you are describing irrespective of subject or university! It is the nature of modern university life with 30 000 students, 24 hour libraries, laptops and endless coffee shops and eateries where students are connected but not connected to anyone.

I'm not complaining about it and I really don't understand why you think I am.

I was just explaining why I don't know about the civil course.

As for ACSE it's a somewhat different situation given that their cohort size is much smaller than other courses. If you're outside of aero or bio who share modules with ACSE then it's a pure numbers game which is made somewhat more difficult by the very limited number of domestic students.
I'm not complaining about it and I really don't understand why you think I am.

I was just explaining why I don't know about the civil course.

As for ACSE it's a somewhat different situation given that their cohort size is much smaller than other courses. If you're outside of aero or bio who share modules with ACSE then it's a pure numbers game which is made somewhat more difficult by the very limited number of domestic students.

I think we're on different wavelengths there. I don't know how many degrees you've done in the faculty at Sheffield, but you sounded more connected to me than the average student. The point about 'connections' is just a passing comment brought home by someone who joined recently who was remarking to me how the uni was all eateries, scanners, full on campus life. This point isn't lost on me as I've done distance learning and the sleepy collegiate system. At these superlarge universities with 30,000 or more students I can quite imagine true connections with other students and how it feels matter a lot.

I hope the OP whichever she/he chooses gets on well. I think Bristol and Sheffield are good.

Quick Reply

Latest