The Student Room Group

Bristol or UCL?

I've decided that Imperial is going to be my firm choice, but I'm undecided between Bristol and UCL for my insurance. Both offers are the same (A*AA) but at Bristol I've applied for Aerospace and at UCL I've applied for mech. I'm really into aerospace engineering but when I've compared the course structures they are more or less identical until Year 3, so Im unsure which would be a better choice. Any tips?
you can't go wrong with either. flip a coin
Which uni did you prefer when you visited?
Reply 3
Honestly both were pretty good, I feel like the department at Bristol had better facilities and advertised heavily all their links to industry, but at the same time UCL is in London and I can't imagine it's particularly difficult to find industrial placements there. The main reason I'm still considering UCL is because you finish with a Master's in Mech eng, which is more general than the equivalent aerospace qualification.
Original post by alex.sinios
Honestly both were pretty good, I feel like the department at Bristol had better facilities and advertised heavily all their links to industry, but at the same time UCL is in London and I can't imagine it's particularly difficult to find industrial placements there. The main reason I'm still considering UCL is because you finish with a Master's in Mech eng, which is more general than the equivalent aerospace qualification.

There isn't a whole lot of engineering in London outside of consultancies and universities, so I wouldn't go immediately from London to good industrial placement prospects. On the other hand there is absolutely tonnes of it around Bristol and industry is very well in touch with both universities there so it is a very direct link.

For Aero vs. Mech, I'd say it doesn't matter too much for undergraduate and in some cases Aero might offer you something more general e.g. Aero at Bristol offers additional classes on the more EEE/Control side that UCL's mech doesn't. Most employers will know that an Aero degree holder possesses the large majority of skills of a mech grad so won't discriminate between the two, though you do get the odd one (usually smaller employers and those looking for someone to do Manufacturing) who it will make a difference for. If you got to a point where you decided you prefer Mech then you'll be qualified to go on a Mech or related MSc anyway so it's not the end of the world.
(edited 5 years ago)
There is tons of aerospace companies in Bristol like Boeing/Airbus, MOD and MOD related suppliers/companies, Safran in Gloucester. In London there’s not much maybe Hertfordshire area you have MBDA, Airbus in Stevenage and Boeing commercial in central London. Thales in West Sussex somewhat near London. (This is from my experience of applying for aerospace companies because I find them interesting from a non technical background in both the Bristol and London/SE area)
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest