The Student Room Group

UCL vs Bristol Economics

Im in year 12 and I'm not sure whether to pick UCL or Bristol as my 5th university choice for Economics
I meet the entry requirements for both (A*AA needed for both)
Just today I visited UCL open day and let's be honest I didn't like it. Ok the library was nice but there was no university feel to it and I don't really want to live in London. Also why is the main sports facility 1hr 15min away from UCL?
I haven't been to see Bristol yet but I do know that it has a much better sports reputation and Bristol is smaller as a city so I suppose it may have a bigger university feel to it.
As per the course (Economics) I like both - I have no preference. But since UCL has a better reputation I think I'd be more likely to get a better job if I go there.
So should I pick Bristol because I many enjoy my university life there more or UCL because of better job prospects?
Reply 1
Original post by lee_miller7
Im in year 12 and I'm not sure whether to pick UCL or Bristol as my 5th university choice for Economics
I meet the entry requirements for both (A*AA needed for both)
Just today I visited UCL open day and let's be honest I didn't like it. Ok the library was nice but there was no university feel to it and I don't really want to live in London. Also why is the main sports facility 1hr 15min away from UCL?
I haven't been to see Bristol yet but I do know that it has a much better sports reputation and Bristol is smaller as a city so I suppose it may have a bigger university feel to it.
As per the course (Economics) I like both - I have no preference. But since UCL has a better reputation I think I'd be more likely to get a better job if I go there.
So should I pick Bristol because I many enjoy my university life there more or UCL because of better job prospects?

You have until October at the earliest, and January next year at the latest, you have time and don't really need to rush this decision.
While university prestige can be a big factor for employment, in the end you're getting the same level of degree regardless of university and Bristol is generally viewed as a good uni too. Then again check acceptance rates for both, as sometimes meeting the entry requirement isn't enough - I've seen a lot of people that are above the entry requirement for UCL get rejected.

I'm thinking you should go see Bristol if/when you can just to make sure you'd prefer it to UCL, cause as it stands you're comparing something you don't like to something you don't know if you'll like lmfao. A lot of universities allow people to just enter and look around, such as UCL with its self-guided tour system. If you can't go see Bristol then at least research it before making a decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending