The Student Room Group

Three Writing Triplets for OCR

I am studying English Language for OCR, and I am generally confident on Paper 1 and Paper 2, where:

In Paper 1 there is a Summary, Media Analysis and Writing triplet of: inform/explain/describe.

In Paper 2 there is a Different Cultures Analysis and two writing triples: analyse/review/comment; argue/persuade/advise.

I am feeling confident with the analysis questions and summary, yet not so confident on the writing triplets. Could someone please explain the difference between them and what we have to do in order to gain an A*.

Thanks!
I was told differently...
Can someone confirm whether the OP is right or not?
In Paper 1 there is a Summary, Media Analysis and Writing triplet of: inform/explain/describe.

In Paper 2 there is a Different Cultures Analysis and two writing triples: analyse/review/comment; argue/persuade/advise.

That is correct for OCR English LANGUAGE
Yeh i can help a bit:

i know about inform, explain, describe: the idea is all about conveying a message / information. e.g. describe what you do to remain healthy. use both objective (i.e. factual) and subjective (your opinion) and use an appropriate tone for the audience indicated by the question (e.g. to a friend = informal, to parents at your school = more formal). avoid devices that are obviously rhetorical (you are not trying to persuade here). the question should provide an indication ofhow to structure your answer (in terms of paragraphs) and use clear and transparent topic sentences. The question is always about either your school or your local community. umm that is all i can think of

i know for analyse, review, comment you should do exactly that. split your essay into three equal chunks:
1) analyse = what is the question matter about
2) review = provide a range of examples
3) comment = introduce the subjective voice - in my opinion ....; ibelieve that ....;it appears to me ....

that is what i have been told

and finally argue, persuade, advise is the simplest of them all - just try and convince the reader that your viewpoint / opinion is the best using rhetorical devices.

i hope that helps .... :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 4
i have a exam coming up with questions i have to summarise, analyse and inform (,explain&describe)
and i'm not really sure how to prepare for it, any help?

Latest