The Student Room Group

Masters in Engineering / Retraining possibilities:

. ..
(edited 4 years ago)
It's possible. Courses often have a line that says 'other degrees will be considered' so you might have a chance there. Alternatively you could do something like this:
https://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/msc-engineering-mechanical-far-stem

It's an extra year but that's probably for the best if you don't have an engineering background.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi @J2397,

I was about to suggest our far STEM MSc courses, but I see someone has beaten me to the punch!

Far STEM is geared towards people in exactly your position, with degrees in STEM-related subjects outside of engineering itself, such as maths, physics or - in your case - economics. Normally they consist of a year of running you up to speed with the basic engineering principles, followed by a year carrying out your MSc. This can be done either as an individual dissertation or as an MSc by research, and can be done full or part time.

Most of the info will be in the link that @Student-95 posted, but if you have any further questions about it then feel free to ask away.

Hope that helps

Theo
Dear Theo ,

Thank you so much for the advice! I really appreciate it. From thinking I have zero options it's nice to know there's something out there for people like myself. The course that @Student-95 linked states only 'An honours degree (at least 2:2 or above)', does this not require a relevant field such as Maths or engineering?

Most masters I've seen for engineering for example 'MSc Engineering Materials (Advanced Mechanical Engineering Science) (1 year) - Southampton University' request a STEM subject already in undergrad. Also makes me regret not choosing Maths or Chemistry as they would have led me on a nice path towards the conversion. I guess I was incredibly naive in my 18 year old self. Regretfully.

I've never heard of 'Far STEM' courses before. Upon a quick google, they all seem to be at the university of Hertfordshire. Is this the name given to the course in general, or is Hertfordshire the only place that offers a 'conversion' or sorts? Also, they request the following:

"A pass in A-Level Mathematics or equivalent; and; typically a minimum of 2:2 honours degree in mathematics, physics, astrophysics or other relevant first degree and whose programme would have made extensive use of applied mathematics to design and explain engineering and/or scientific concepts will give access to the Near STEM route; OR; typically a minimum of 2:2 honours degree in chemistry, biotechnology, biochemistry, food science, computer science based or similar first degrees where statistical analysis was a dominant feature of their analytical studies will give access to the Far STEM route; exceptionally, a number of applicants with other relevant professional qualifications who have the necessary academic achievements and experience will be considered under APEL (accreditation of prior experiential learning) or APCL (accreditation of prior certified learning); prospective students may be required to attend an interview typically in order to review their subject background."

Does BSc Economics come under the requirement 'extensive use of mathematics'? I've undertaken various Econometrics (Time series and Applied Analysis) modules in addition to both Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. But I'm unsure whether this qualifies for whats looked upon?

Best wishes.
Original post by Herts PG Student Rep
Hi @J2397,

I was about to suggest our far STEM MSc courses, but I see someone has beaten me to the punch!

Far STEM is geared towards people in exactly your position, with degrees in STEM-related subjects outside of engineering itself, such as maths, physics or - in your case - economics. Normally they consist of a year of running you up to speed with the basic engineering principles, followed by a year carrying out your MSc. This can be done either as an individual dissertation or as an MSc by research, and can be done full or part time.

Most of the info will be in the link that @Student-95 posted, but if you have any further questions about it then feel free to ask away.

Hope that helps

Theo
Original post by J2397
Dear Theo ,

Thank you so much for the advice! I really appreciate it. From thinking I have zero options it's nice to know there's something out there for people like myself. The course that @Student-95 linked states only 'An honours degree (at least 2:2 or above)', does this not require a relevant field such as Maths or engineering?

Most masters I've seen for engineering for example 'MSc Engineering Materials (Advanced Mechanical Engineering Science) (1 year) - Southampton University' request a STEM subject already in undergrad. Also makes me regret not choosing Maths or Chemistry as they would have led me on a nice path towards the conversion. I guess I was incredibly naive in my 18 year old self. Regretfully.

I've never heard of 'Far STEM' courses before. Upon a quick google, they all seem to be at the university of Hertfordshire. Is this the name given to the course in general, or is Hertfordshire the only place that offers a 'conversion' or sorts? Also, they request the following:

"A pass in A-Level Mathematics or equivalent; and; typically a minimum of 2:2 honours degree in mathematics, physics, astrophysics or other relevant first degree and whose programme would have made extensive use of applied mathematics to design and explain engineering and/or scientific concepts will give access to the Near STEM route; OR; typically a minimum of 2:2 honours degree in chemistry, biotechnology, biochemistry, food science, computer science based or similar first degrees where statistical analysis was a dominant feature of their analytical studies will give access to the Far STEM route; exceptionally, a number of applicants with other relevant professional qualifications who have the necessary academic achievements and experience will be considered under APEL (accreditation of prior experiential learning) or APCL (accreditation of prior certified learning); prospective students may be required to attend an interview typically in order to review their subject background."

Does BSc Economics come under the requirement 'extensive use of mathematics'? I've undertaken various Econometrics (Time series and Applied Analysis) modules in addition to both Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. But I'm unsure whether this qualifies for whats looked upon?

Best wishes.

The far STEM courses, as far as I'm aware, are only offered at Herts. They may be offered under other names at other unis, or alternatively they may just not list them as near and far STEM. Certain MSc programmes may take students from non-engineering disciplines, but may do so on a case-by-case basis - just some speculation on my part! The fact that you have A-Level maths and physics will be of great use.

I would say that economics would be more suited to far STEM, due to its statistical nature. That said, it is always worth checking! If you email [email protected], who will pass you on to the engineering department, who can give you a more definitive answer.

Hope that helps!

Theo

Quick Reply

Latest