The Student Room Group

Universities (Scotland)

Hello everyone,
I am trying to decide between St.Andrew's, Glasgow and Aberdeen University for my first choice. I will likely choose Aberdeen as my insurance choice, therefore I was hoping to hear some people's experiences at the other two universities (Glasgow and St.Andrew's). I have been offered a place for the Neuroscience course at both.
Thank you in advance :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
there are rumours that JKR's Hogwarts was based in part on the University of Glasgow , (and a bit on Heriot’s School in Edinburgh)

that's not very relevant, but I have had two friends who did undergraduate studies at the very prestigious UoG, and two friends who did their undergraduate studies at the very prestigious St.Andrews - one of whom then went to UoGlasgow to do her MSc. So you could end up at both, eventually!

You didn't mention which subject, that might be important. I'd bias Glasgow a bit better for Sciences, St.Andrews a bit better for languages & similar.

Life, wow, St.Andrews is a mini Oxford college, just the one, in a seaside location, drier than Glasgow - still a bit windy. Gorgeous location, impossible to get into. they have a really nice partnering system where each new student is given an older student 'college parent' as first point for solving all the small problems. they are very friendly, it works really well. the sport of Golf was invented nearby, in case you like that sort of thing.

Glasgow, wow. it is a mega city. everything happens there. amazing place. Big University, very prestigious and hard to get into, too.

Aberdeen is great but v e r y f a r aaaaaaway
Original post by LuigiMario
there are rumours that JKR's Hogwarts was based in part on the University of Glasgow , (and a bit on Heriot’s School in Edinburgh)

that's not very relevant, but I have had two friends who did undergraduate studies at the very prestigious UoG, and two friends who did their undergraduate studies at the very prestigious St.Andrews - one of whom then went to UoGlasgow to do her MSc. So you could end up at both, eventually!

You didn't mention which subject, that might be important. I'd bias Glasgow a bit better for Sciences, St.Andrews a bit better for languages & similar.

Life, wow, St.Andrews is a mini Oxford college, just the one, in a seaside location, drier than Glasgow - still a bit windy. Gorgeous location, impossible to get into. they have a really nice partnering system where each new student is given an older student 'college parent' as first point for solving all the small problems. they are very friendly, it works really well. the sport of Golf was invented nearby, in case you like that sort of thing.

Glasgow, wow. it is a mega city. everything happens there. amazing place. Big University, very prestigious and hard to get into, too.

Aberdeen is great but v e r y f a r aaaaaaway

Aberdeen is not far away, it’s 90mins by airplane from London, and 1h and 10 mins by car from St Andrews,I would grant you that if it was Inverness, but you really need to do your research.

St. Andrews also has nothing to do in town as a student except the union or library (whereas Aberdeen and Glasgow do). St Andrews also consistently ranks below Aberdeen and Glasgow in the world rankings (deffo not domestic though).

Aberdeen is one of the safest cities in Scotland with the small town feel of St. Andrews, with all the luxury of a city like Glasgow and has one of the highest student satisfaction rates in the UK for the great balances it provides

Quick Reply

Latest