The Student Room Group

Irrelevant work to teaching and NO SUPPORT for School direct students

I am currently completing my PGCE school direct course and I am struggling to reason with myself that the academic portion of my course will benefit and help me in my teaching.
IT DOESN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is a MASSIVE JOKE!!!
My time is being wasted, my mental health being put at risk, my self-confidence is being destroyed and I have applied NONE of the theory to my practice. I am doing good within my teaching and showed great improvement between my 1st and 2nd placement. Yet, the university tutors are questioning my ability to teach (they have not seen me teach, my school mentor and alliance leaders have) because of my academic assignments. We had a 5000-word reflective assignment to complete based on a target we were given from our first placement. I was critical of my own practice and applied the theory they had 'taught' (We had one day workshop and the tutor spent more time talking about their home life) and yet it is not enough. I put theory within the essay, yet they are not pleased. Another assignment is based on a research project of our choice. I carry out the research, find the theories, yet they say the conclusions and findings made from my research are incorrect. I have to keep resubmitting things (which I have to pay for, even though I'm getting in £9250 worth of debt and receive no financial help). I just cannot deal with it sometimes.
It is taking valuable time away from my planning, resource making and lesson preparation. The help 'offered' is limited/non-existence, I have arranged phone tutorials with tutors, as my alliance is based an hour away from the university and I cannot drive there, the tutor has never picked up the calls. How is it possible for me to receive help if the tutors who tell me to seek guidance are not there when I contact them.
The university-based students receive help all the time because they are there on campus. The university needs to remember that we are there too. I am NOT failing this course and having my dream taken away from me because I am not an academic writer and my tutors do not agree with the findings and conclusions from MY research project. I think they have been out of the classroom way too long, have become engrossed in theory and forgetting that the students on this course are aiming to become teachers. Not educational theorists, if they did then they would go on an Educational Studies or Research course.
Teaching is a practical career, not a theoretical one. I just cannot see how academic work is helping me, I'm not even gaining skills relevant to teaching. Not reflective, critical thinking, behaviour management, subject knowledge, use of formative and summative assessment, working professionally.
I'm trying to be a teacher, working in a valued career. Universities need to remember or learn the difference between a teacher and a lecturer.
Original post by FightForAFuture
I am currently completing my PGCE school direct course and I am struggling to reason with myself that the academic portion of my course will benefit and help me in my teaching.
IT DOESN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is a MASSIVE JOKE!!!
My time is being wasted, my mental health being put at risk, my self-confidence is being destroyed and I have applied NONE of the theory to my practice. I am doing good within my teaching and showed great improvement between my 1st and 2nd placement. Yet, the university tutors are questioning my ability to teach (they have not seen me teach, my school mentor and alliance leaders have) because of my academic assignments. We had a 5000-word reflective assignment to complete based on a target we were given from our first placement. I was critical of my own practice and applied the theory they had 'taught' (We had one day workshop and the tutor spent more time talking about their home life) and yet it is not enough. I put theory within the essay, yet they are not pleased. Another assignment is based on a research project of our choice. I carry out the research, find the theories, yet they say the conclusions and findings made from my research are incorrect. I have to keep resubmitting things (which I have to pay for, even though I'm getting in £9250 worth of debt and receive no financial help). I just cannot deal with it sometimes.
It is taking valuable time away from my planning, resource making and lesson preparation. The help 'offered' is limited/non-existence, I have arranged phone tutorials with tutors, as my alliance is based an hour away from the university and I cannot drive there, the tutor has never picked up the calls. How is it possible for me to receive help if the tutors who tell me to seek guidance are not there when I contact them.
The university-based students receive help all the time because they are there on campus. The university needs to remember that we are there too. I am NOT failing this course and having my dream taken away from me because I am not an academic writer and my tutors do not agree with the findings and conclusions from MY research project. I think they have been out of the classroom way too long, have become engrossed in theory and forgetting that the students on this course are aiming to become teachers. Not educational theorists, if they did then they would go on an Educational Studies or Research course.
Teaching is a practical career, not a theoretical one. I just cannot see how academic work is helping me, I'm not even gaining skills relevant to teaching. Not reflective, critical thinking, behaviour management, subject knowledge, use of formative and summative assessment, working professionally.
I'm trying to be a teacher, working in a valued career. Universities need to remember or learn the difference between a teacher and a lecturer.

I'm so sorry you are having a tough time - I think the school direct route can be difficult. Please don't give up your dream - teaching is an amazing career :smile:
Is there someone you could talk to about this as you are obviously not getting a good 'deal' from the year?
PM me if I can help.

You seem to just be seeing red and just sprawling your thoughts into giant paragraphs, then at the bottom you put this. The first thing you need to do is take a step back, digest what is going wrong and start thinking about who you can speak to about taking some action and setting things on the right path with the time you have left. Who have you tried to speak to on your course? Who can you speak to if this gets you no where? Stop calling them and leave a trail of emails (or email to follow up your phone calls).

I am struggling to reason with myself that the academic portion of my course will benefit and help me in my teaching.
IT DOESN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is a MASSIVE JOKE!!!

Hold up a second you propose a problem then have already reached a conclusion?

Teaching is BOTH practical and theoretical, you are a designer of learning and a bastion of knowledge one second, then a helpful ear to a child in distress the next. It is all a part of the same job.

Reflective writing done the correct way is immensely helpful when you try to improve your own practice independently later without the support you get on your course. I don't know the details of what you are doing but bar a couple of hours, the theoretical side of my PGCE was all valuable and I still draw what I did years after. I constantly keep myself up to date on the latest ideas and consider what other people are doing, either adopting parts or just straight up binning it, however learning to be critical about what is done is a part of the "theoretical" side of the course which you use.

It is taking valuable time away from my planning, resource making and lesson preparation.

One would assume you are on a reduced timetable from a classroom teacher, so you have time during the year to complete assignments and the "theoretical" part of the course?

and my tutors do not agree with the findings and conclusions from MY research project.

This line seems odd to me. Are they disagreeing the the conclusions themselves? The way and material supporting your decision to reach that conclusion? Are you marking a large claim from a small research project? (Education research has perennial problems of; small sample, hard to make reliable inferences). Are they just disagreeing or giving you alternatives/a way to restructure your work?

Bottom line you need to discuss this with someone in greater detail because you need to plan a way forward. Since the university side is being difficult, is there someone there you are able to speak to? If not speak to someone in the school who has done perhaps more than just PGCE, such as an MA or NPQML/NPQSL who may know more about the academic side to help you.
Some courses will offer you the chance to drop the academic side of things (the PGCE) whilst still allowing you to be recommended for QTS. Is this an option for you? I know it's not the best outcome, but it would allow you to work as a teacher, and as you say, the academic side isn't always relevant to classroom practice anyway. Could you discuss this option with your tutors?

It does sound like you aren't getting a great deal from the uni- could you escalate things further if your tutors are not supporting you properly? It also shouldn't cost you money to resubmit?

I would say it is easy to look at other people and think the grass is always greener- I'm currently doing a PGCE and at times have been a bit jealous of schools direct students as their placements are always known well in advance, and they can't be given two placements an hours commute away in opposite directions. However, I would say they also get equal support from our tutors/lecturers- but that is also a bit luck of the draw. My tutor is very "on it" and always responds to emails etc in a timely way and does a lot to support us, and expects a lot from us in return. Other tutors are more laid back, but then they're also unavailable when people really need them.
Hey,

I am also doing a school direct route into training. I agree the University side are not very helpful with us... I am assuming you have tried emailing the alliance and making an appointment for a phone call? They should be able to provide you with some support?
However if not the academic side is purely the Universities responsibility and if you don't pass because of that, it looks bad on them... I would ask for individual appts to help with your academic writing - explain to your teaching alliance that you need this extra support to pass and they may help by reducing the timetable.
After all - we're teaching over and above the requirements to pass at PGCE.

I know how hard this year is, I am struggling to keep going myself. But document all your attempts to seek support through email, and if you're not provided with any you can take it higher.
Good luck xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending