The Student Room Group

Too young to do a PGCE (secondary)?

Hi, I'm currently in my second year of a Biology degree and know I eventually want to be a secondary school Biology teacher. I was originally going to apply for a PGCE straight after 3rd year, but this would mean I would be just 21, teaching up to 18 year olds? I also look really young, and fear that I wouldn't be taken seriously. My other option is to take a year out, I've read a lot of people have been an unqualified teaching assistant for a year or two before applying for the PGCE, which is something I'm interested in but cannot find any information on at all. Any advice? How young is too young, and how would I go about getting a job as a TA?
Original post by Lbennett73
Hi, I'm currently in my second year of a Biology degree and know I eventually want to be a secondary school Biology teacher. I was originally going to apply for a PGCE straight after 3rd year, but this would mean I would be just 21, teaching up to 18 year olds? I also look really young, and fear that I wouldn't be taken seriously. My other option is to take a year out, I've read a lot of people have been an unqualified teaching assistant for a year or two before applying for the PGCE, which is something I'm interested in but cannot find any information on at all. Any advice? How young is too young, and how would I go about getting a job as a TA?

I wouldn't let your age stop you from applying to do a PGCE after your undergraduate degree if that is what you want to do. You mention that you look young and feel you might not be taken seriously. However, if you work hard and learn the skills to be a good teacher, you will be judged on your merits rather than your looks. Taking a year or two won't change the way you look.

That isn't to say that you have to apply straight away if you don't feel ready. Getting some experience as a teaching assistant can be valuable in giving you an insight into what a teaching career will be like and good skills to prepare you for the course.

During your degree, I would recommend getting some volunteering or work experience working in schools or with children - this will look good for teaching related applications.

I went straight into teaching at 22 after a degree and a PGCE - it was fine. I did teach 6th form during my PGCE [when I was 21] and it was OK. I would try to get some experience during June/July in a school and see how you feel. Students will accept you if you are professional :smile:
Reply 3

Hi!

I was in the exact same position last year. I decided to spent 1 year as a grad TA and Cover Supervisor at a local school. I look really young as well and the first week the kids were a bit relentless. e.g. "you look 12 miss". They got over it after two weeks and 8 months later I feel fully immersed in the school. The kids know I have a degree and that I'm 22. No more questioned answered. :smile:

I wouldn't let how you look put you off, but i would recommend as year as a TA if you want more confidence with the kids.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending