The Student Room Group

should i keep pharmacy or go for medicine?

i applied for medicine at 4 universities and had 2 choices for which i picked to do pharmacy as a backup, so far i have got offer for interviews for pharmacy, and as my predicted grades werent that great (BBB) i dnt have a chance for medicine, so ill eaither take a year out for retakes and work experience or should i just keep phamacy?? cos pharmacy is not as highly rated and the pay rates are lower???? i need advice people, im lost and confused!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think that if you take pharmacy and then decide to do medicine then it is relatively easy to switch.
Reply 2
CharleeB
i think that if you take pharmacy and then decide to do medicine then it is relatively easy to switch.

Sooo not true!

If you want to do medicine, forget about pharmacy!
Reply 3
what university did u get an offer from if u dont mind me askin?
Reply 4
really? my friends brother applyed to pharmacy and hated it, and after the first year switched to medicine.
Reply 5
Da-Dapper
what university did u get an offer from if u dont mind me askin?

kingston :frown: unfortunately, but iapplied for st george's and their campus is in kingston uni, so no worries
Reply 6
...GiNuWiNe...
i applied for medicine at 4 universities and had 2 choices for which i picked to do pharmacy as a backup, so far i have got offer for interviews for pharmacy, and as my predicted grades werent that great (BBB) i dnt have a chance for medicine, so ill eaither take a year out for retakes and work experience or should i just keep phamacy?? cos pharmacy is not as highly rated and the pay rates are lower???? i need advice people, im lost and confused!

I would go for medicine if I were you, it's worth taking a year out :tongue:
Reply 7
CharleeB
really? my friends brother applyed to pharmacy and hated it, and after the first year switched to medicine.

It is almost totally unheard of. He might have been lucky and expressed unhappiness with pharmacy at the same time as someone droping out of medicine, thus freeing up a place. I'm guessing less than 1% of all people on a medicine degree are 'transfers' from other degrees.
Reply 8
Fluffy
It is almost totally unheard of. He might have been lucky and expressed unhappiness with pharmacy at the same time as someone droping out of medicine, thus freeing up a place. I'm guessing less than 1% of all people on a medicine degree are 'transfers' from other degrees.

take ur fake 1% facts out of here
Reply 9
...GiNuWiNe...
kingston :frown: unfortunately, but iapplied for st george's and their campus is in kingston uni, so no worries

Their campus isn't at Kingston Uni - it's a 'twin centre' degree. SGHMS and KU have links in a few courses - for instance the foundation year for medicine at SGHMS is a Kingston qual.
...GiNuWiNe...

You have to decide which out of the two you really want to do, and if you want to do medicine just try to get higher than your predicted grades in the exams (or maybe try to get your teachers to push your grades up).
Reply 11
...GiNuWiNe...

lol! If you think it's fake - then try it! I'm guessing you'll graduate as a pharmacist!!! :wink:
...GiNuWiNe...

joking ..lol
im just insewcure i dont know if taking a year out will guarantee me aplace
Reply 13
...GiNuWiNe...
joking ..lol
im just insewcure i dont know if taking a year out will guarantee me aplace

Nothing will guarentee you a place! Hell, getting 4 A grades at A-Level won't guarentee you a place! But, if you want something bad enough, you can't give up! There are people in my year (matures admittedly) who applied 4 years running before they 'struck lucky'.
Fluffy
Nothing will guarentee you a place! Hell, getting 4 A grades at A-Level won't guarentee you a place! But, if you want something bad enough, you can't give up! There are people in my year (matures admittedly) who applied 4 years running before they 'struck lucky'.

damn, but i dont want to ignore the pharmacy offer and then take a year out and still not get a place.. what kind of grades did you get (as and a2 and GCSE)?? and how was your interview?
Reply 15
I have A,C,D at A-Level (and mitigating circumstances) and 2 x A, 6 x B, 1 x C and 1 x D (History - subliminal learning does not work!!). My interviews were fine/good/even fun!!!

The question you have to ask yourself is this: It's it's 2008 (or 2009 is your offer is MPharm). You're graduating - what do you want to do?
a) Become a practicing pharmacist, baby!
b) Damn! I can't shake the thought of medicine off - back to uni for another 5 years, with debt hanging over me from my first degree...?
Fluffy
I have A,C,D at A-Level (and mitigating circumstances) and 2 x A, 6 x B, 1 x C and 1 x D (History - subliminal learning does not work!!). My interviews were fine/good/even fun!!!

The question you have to ask yourself is this: It's it's 2008 (or 2009 is your offer is MPharm). You're graduating - what do you want to do?
a) Become a practicing pharmacist, baby!
b) Damn! I can't shake the thought of medicine off - back to uni for another 5 years, with debt hanging over me from my first degree...?

when you say and mitigating circumstances) what u mean :confused:
cz i definately have some of the same sort
Reply 17
I was hospitalised for 9 months of my lower 6th with anorexia.
Fluffy
I was hospitalised for 9 months of my lower 6th with anorexia.

woah! then a goodthingto help you regain weight is to go into bodybuilding... no fuly per se, but work out regularly and you will soon have a good looking physique and th honeys will love you....lol :biggrin:
Reply 19
Not sure if I want to attract the Honeys! Quite happy with my boyf thanks :wink: :P

Latest