The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Try agreeing to do a double shift!

16 hours on your feet, heaven.
Mantha
you think that's bad, yesterday i had an 11 hour day of waitressing (ie rushing around - i wish i just got to stand still) with a 15 minute break!

That's illegal - your bosses could get prosecuted for that.
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/employment/basic_rights_at_work.htm

http://www.bizhelp24.com/business-law/employee-working-hours-break-entitlement-3.html
8 to 8 sat in a father xmas suit listening to ****ty kids ****ty christmas wishes...
Reply 23
I used to work 12 hour days standing in the restaurants I used to work at. Somestimes more.
Reply 24
Mantha
you think that's bad, yesterday i had an 11 hour day of waitressing (ie rushing around - i wish i just got to stand still) with a 15 minute break!

I worked 12 hours on Saturday and didnt get a break :eviltongu
Reply 25
the wolf at door
Long shot, but someone was saying that you can only work up to four hours on a till. Any possible truth in that? Or that a chair should be given or something?

I do 8.5 hours of that 3x a week, and sometimes 12 hours, so I've never heard of that. They won't provide you a chair though, because apparently places which have chairs for till ops have to pay them higher wages than those without.
Reply 26
andy_cole2
8 to 8 sat in a father xmas suit listening to ****ty kids ****ty christmas wishes...

OMG that's such a great job I am so jealous :biggrin:
Im on my feet all day at work but we get breaks every 4 hours anyway so it doesnt bother me at all anymore.
yeh there's legal limits but i hate knowing my breaks aren't paid so i just work through them, except when i work at uni as a student caller then my breaks are totally paid.
pcok
I do 8.5 hours of that 3x a week, and sometimes 12 hours, so I've never heard of that. They won't provide you a chair though, because apparently places which have chairs for till ops have to pay them higher wages than those without.

That's not true. There are many many places where till ops (with with and without chairs) are paid minimum wage. The chair thing makes no difference.
the wolf at door
Long shot, but someone was saying that you can only work up to four hours on a till. Any possible truth in that? Or that a chair should be given or something?

Well I worked yesterday for sixteen hours non-stop, purely because I've finished exams now and I suppose the money's good. So 10AM, went in to work to set up the function with other staff and waitered for the function, then at 6.30pm I worked on the hotel bars with someone else until 12.30AM and then we shut the function suite down and I left at 1.30AM! Lovely! And there wasn't a chair, there's never a chair, why would there be if you have to move about? My feet have never hurt so much, I woke up 12 hours later lol! Seriously, four hours on a till won't hurt, that's a dream!

It's easy to be bureaucratic and highlight legislation, but in real life, in terms of the waitressing job that the other poster mentioned, breaks can't always be fitted in because it gets so busy and there might not be other staff to fill in. E.g. when I have to do waitering, some days I have to do two separate functions at the same time because of short staffing issues, it's insane, and we're not paid more, and there aren't breaks, but you know, it's casual work, they employed me so you live with it to be honest.
Reply 32
longest i've done is 9hours no break, no sitting down....welcome to selfridges.
Reply 33
andy_cole2

father christmas eh??

and we all know what register they all end up on...
haha the worse thing is i was never even checked, like i started filling a check out and i said it would be a pain in the ass to give in my originla birth certificate. in the end all i ddi was sign the back of a pciture of me....
I used to do 8.30-5.30 with one hour long lunch break and two fifteen minute breaks. That's 7.5 hours...
Now I do bar work, which is worse. I don't sit down from the minute I start at seven to closing at 1am. Then there is cleaning up to do, which can last an hour or more. I don't get a break.

Stop complaining :p:
Reply 36
andy_cole2
haha the worse thing is i was never even checked, like i started filling a check out and i said it would be a pain in the ass to give in my originla birth certificate. in the end all i ddi was sign the back of a pciture of me....

they probably thought. ohh hes too young to be a sex offender yet, it'll be fine haha
I work from 8am till at least 7pm weekdays now, get a half hour break for lunch and sometimes 2 small breaks (5-15mins) one in the morning, one in the afternoon. I stand still so legs stiffen up, and it's cold so it stiffens more quickly. Our last break is around 3ish so we do go about 4 hours without a break. It sucks but I got my first pay today and it was well worth it.
standing up for long hours can give you varicose veins,

http://www.originmedical.co.uk/varicose-veins/

so i asked my manager to give me a chair because i work on tills too, and he was fine with it, i think most employers will be fine with it.
I work in the drapery part of a department store, grocery is on the floor below and they get chairs....the way our tills are, there's not enough space for chairs. Only supermarkets and Primark have them. I've done the 10- 7:30 shift (it's the longest shift given) on tills all day, but for that I get an hour lunch and another half hour break, still though, absolutely knackering.

Much prefer working on floor/fitting room, on tills, you're quite isolated from the rest of the staff.

Latest

Trending

Trending