The Student Room Group

Career advisor help pls

i have 104 ucas points. BBD maths, psychology and spanish respectively. i want a career in finance/corporate banking etc... Most apprenticeships require 112 UCAS points and I'm also 20 at the end of the year so maybe I'm getting too old for an apprenticeship?? I also don't want a foundation level, I would prefer degree level bc i do have a levels uno

i never wanted to go uni but maybe I'm thinking to re do my spanish a level to at least get it to a C?

I have no idea where i can or want to go with this. i do not want to work in retail any longer than i have to and i really REALLY just wanna sort my life out and finally work within this sector. any advice is amazing thanks xxxxx
Original post by charlxxxx

Your age isn't an issue, but you need to be realistic. You haven't got the grades, with two relatively easy A levels, and you are still referring to an entire sector with thousands of different roles in it.

Narrow down much more tightly what you want to do as a job/career and then an appropriate path might become much more clear.
Original post by charlxxxx
i have 104 ucas points. BBD maths, psychology and spanish respectively. i want a career in finance/corporate banking etc... Most apprenticeships require 112 UCAS points and I'm also 20 at the end of the year so maybe I'm getting too old for an apprenticeship?? I also don't want a foundation level, I would prefer degree level bc i do have a levels uno

i never wanted to go uni but maybe I'm thinking to re do my spanish a level to at least get it to a C?

I have no idea where i can or want to go with this. i do not want to work in retail any longer than i have to and i really REALLY just wanna sort my life out and finally work within this sector. any advice is amazing thanks xxxxx

Hoping I can offer some support here...

Regarding uni - you're not too far away from the UCAS points they are asking for so it may be worthwhile speaking with the uni's to see how flexible they are. You could even look at applying through clearing as sometimes grade boundaries are lowered.

For an apprenticeship - your age isn't an issue as there is no upper age limit on apprenticeships. Degree apprenticeships are incredibly competitive and without the grades and experience many employers will prefer it if you start at a lower level and work your way up to the full degree. So you could look at doing a level 4 or 5 instead with the view to progress to level 6.

Sometimes, when you don't quite get the grades you need, you have to look at the stepping stones you need to take in order to get to where you want to be. I understand you don't want to do foundation or lower levels, but this may be the realistic options you need to look at.

You could resit your Spanish A-level as a private candidate to try and improve the grade, you will need to do a year of self study and then find a college or sixth form that will accept you as a private candidate. You will need to pay the examination fees for this and if you know which examination board you need to go through they may be able to help you.

If you would like to chat about it further we are more than happy to help.

Thanks - Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending