The Student Room Group

any chance of gettin in to cambridge without a 90% average

hi, I've recently completed my As exams and i was disappointed with some of my modules. i have good gcses grades ( 9A*s 2A) and will most likely get over all A's in all my subjects at As. But i know that cambridge prefer applicants to have at least a 90% average in their chosen subject. this however is very unlikely for me, i would like to study math at cambridge, do i still have a chance considering i will most probably get low As or even Bs in a few modules?:frown:

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you going to be taking STEP? That seems to be a basis of many Cambridge Maths offers. Are the low As in Maths or non-Maths related areas?
Reply 2
no, i thought that you only take step once u have recieved an offer and the low A's are in maths :frown::frown:
Reply 3
Just about any offer from Cambridge for Maths will wan you to take a couple of STEP papers, regardless of your percentages. That is, unless things have radically changed...
Reply 4
so do guys think its worth me applying without a 90% average?
lol how the hell do you manage to do so well at gcse and then get your lowest marks in your best subject?
resit maths? or apply to something else which your marks are better in and then ask to switch once your at cambridge
when the cambridge admissions tutor came to our school he said once you get into cambridge they know youre good so they rarely mind if you want to change subjects
maybe if you have high mark in physics apply for that and then change to maths?
Reply 6
does oxford check individual module marks?
Oxford doesn't -- you don't have to tell them your module grades. Therefore, why don't you think about applying there instead? At least consider it.
why dont you apply - do step - do a lot of work over the summer - really impress them in interview and PS.

What are your pure and further pure marks like (or have you only done C1-C4 this year and doing FP1-FP3 this year?
Reply 9
I had 89.5% average, if that helps.
Reply 10
i really wanted to go to Cambridge but, i will consider applying to oxford if i have a better chance of getting in there. what do you guys think?:s
Reply 11
do you do further maths?
Reply 12
i've only done c1 - c4
Reply 13
yh im doing further maths and will be doin FP1-FP3 next year
abcdefg1990
i've only done c1 - c4

most people do that - i havent (well i sorta have but i self taught c3/c4/m1) - does anybody know the stats for applicants/offers made - that would be useful - get stuck into STEP this summer - impress them in interview and PS - got any BMO or kangarooo results you can stick down on PS aswell.

Bottom line - get stuck in this summer - impress them in interview (i think they give interviews to a high percentage of applicants - again im not sure)
about what i thought - they give more offers per applicant than imperial i think
Reply 16
i was thinking of applying to trinity :s-smilie:
Reply 17
i was thinking of applying to trinity but im sure that it would be more difficult to get into :s
Reply 18
oops posted the same thing twice
Reply 19
oh no maybe i should try oxford instead? :s

Latest

Trending

Trending