The Student Room Group

Work experience as a quantity surveyor

Hello, has anyone, or someone they know, come across work experience in quantity surveying? I am currently in year 13 and after finishing sixth form, I will apply for degree apprenticeships in quantity surveying. I would think that some work experience would give me an advantage in applying.

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions on who to contact and how to structure my messages to companies in hope that they offer work experience in the summer?

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by IgorFierka
Hello, has anyone, or someone they know, come across work experience in quantity surveying? I am currently in year 13 and after finishing sixth form, I will apply for degree apprenticeships in quantity surveying. I would think that some work experience would give me an advantage in applying.

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions on who to contact and how to structure my messages to companies in hope that they offer work experience in the summer?

Thank you.

I’d advise getting in touch with the local office of a national house builder (Persimmon, Taylor Wimpey, Redrow, etc.)

Ring the office up, tell the receptionist that you are a student looking for work experience in the commercial department, and you’d just like 5 minutes on the phone with the Commercial Manager or Commercial Director to see if that would be possible.

Ringing up gains respect, as it’s a lot more daunting to do rather than just emailing. It’s also a lot more personal, and people are more likely to help you that way.
Hey, retail surveyor here!

Follow this link: https://www.ricsfirms.com/glossary/quantity-surveying/

Select, 'select surveying service' on the side and pick quantity surveyors.

RICS is the governing body of surveyors in the UK - you can find all the contact details for different firms in your area through there, there's bound to be a few that need an extra pair of hands!

Make sure you know why you're interested in quantity surveying and understand how you can provide value to them in your time there, it will make the process a lot smoother.

Morgan Sindall are currently hiring for summer placement schemes at the moment, open to all students.
https://ats.morgansindallgroup.com/VacancyInformation.aspx?VId=67247&source=Indeed

Also, apprenticeships for next year are open now across the board - many students get through without having any experience whatsoever, as long as you show drive and passion for the industry and know about the company you're applying to and the wider sector, you'll be fine.

I hope this is helpful.
Original post by sarahmh_
Hey, retail surveyor here!

Follow this link: https://www.ricsfirms.com/glossary/quantity-surveying/

Select, 'select surveying service' on the side and pick quantity surveyors.

RICS is the governing body of surveyors in the UK - you can find all the contact details for different firms in your area through there, there's bound to be a few that need an extra pair of hands!

Make sure you know why you're interested in quantity surveying and understand how you can provide value to them in your time there, it will make the process a lot smoother.

Morgan Sindall are currently hiring for summer placement schemes at the moment, open to all students.
https://ats.morgansindallgroup.com/VacancyInformation.aspx?VId=67247&source=Indeed

Also, apprenticeships for next year are open now across the board - many students get through without having any experience whatsoever, as long as you show drive and passion for the industry and know about the company you're applying to and the wider sector, you'll be fine.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the advice, I am also on the lookout for QS apprenticeships.
Reply 4
Original post by Bilzyboss
Thanks for the advice, I am also on the lookout for QS apprenticeships.

Hi, I am also in year 13 considering going into quantity surveying through an apprenticeship. I'm curious about your experience and any advice you would give.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending