The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Free-will and Determinism - Thank jebus

Depression - meh, didn't know a lot about culture, gender and age but did the best i could, got a fair bit in about biology and diathesis stress model

Q9 - Largely behavioural approach with a little Freud
Really happy that cultural bias came up!:smile:
:rolleyes: Not too happy bout depression though! I really wanted shcizo to come up!!
:biggrin: Anyways, psychologys all over now!!!! YAY!!!!:biggrin:
XxXxXxXxXxX
Reply 42
It was better than I thought ^^
Although I did not write too much on biological explanation since I forgot all the neurotransmitters names, I did manage to put quite some A02. The only thing I can remember fairly accurate is the twins studies by Mc Guffin et al.

I used evolutionary for Q8. For all of it ( I mean including part b,c,d).

But I ran out of time so I did not criticise all the method i put down in part d.

Hope it'll be an A :x
Reply 43
For depression were we allowed to just talk about biological exps? I talked about family studies, twin studies, diathisis-stress model (that was depression and not schizophrenia wasn't it???) andd biochemistry. Is that enough? In my conclusion I mentioned a couple of psy theories but didn't go into depth.

I think it went okay though. Cultural went quite well, I actually think my worst q was approaches!! Cos I haven't looked at it at all cos I didn't think I needed to, so I was forgetting what sort of things I needed to write, and for some reason I did the second approaches question (evo and behavioural) and I don't think I answered it that well tbh.
chris1200
How come no one seems to have used the bio/evolutionary approach for Q8/9? For Q8 is was the easiest one as you could talk about group harmony in the EEA, and being sociable in order to attract a mate (as well as the enjoyment of the adrenaline rush of being in a club etc.)

I did biological and behavioural for question 8. What did you do for the study you invent?
Reply 45
pcok
For depression were we allowed to just talk about biological exps? I talked about family studies, twin studies, diathisis-stress model (that was depression and not schizophrenia wasn't it???) andd biochemistry. Is that enough? In my conclusion I mentioned a couple of psy theories but didn't go into depth.

Diathesis stress works with both :smile:
Reply 46
Thought it was bit of alrite. Did Depression, focused on Genetics and Neurochemical/Permissive Amine, diathesis stress, bashed out a good six sides on that but my hand sort of bombed out on me at the end and my handwriting went real bad. Then did culture bias and think that went pretty well, approaches wasn't too hot, can never time exams but approaches was real bad, part a+b were ok, c wasn't full sentences but not shocking, d was like 2 lines, but two good lines :smile:. I finished off with "sorry about the handwriting". Think I need an A for an A overall, not too sure, had all A's in AS, full marks on coursework, but a C on the january exam, anyone what that would very roughly make me need for the exam just gone, tars very much.
Reply 47
Hmmm for depression i talked about genetics and permissive amine theory...WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF PPD ARGGGH. and then psychoanalytic and behavioural, saying how they explain depression as resulting from the loss of a loved one - which occurs across all cultures/ages/genders.
chris1200
Same. Do you think bio/evo count as one approach? Because I called it the 'bio approach' but used both bio factors (adrenaline enjoyment) and evo factors (social harmony, finding a mate etc.)

Oh I ALWAYS just use the easiest, an interview :P Just asking, in a club for example, why they enjoy going out, if their friends/siblings do etc. (this was behavioural approach). I made obvious negative aspects (eg. it happens in a club) so I could criticise it easily (they'll be drunk!).

Hmm... I don't think evolutionary and biological are exactly the same thing, as evolutionary isn't objective and doesn't focus on biological functions. But I suppose they're related.

My study was just as simple, but a bit contrived; I had people in a lab setting going through two conditions, the first one being sitting on your own watching TV etc., and the second one was doing group activities (Twister and football!). Although I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to move about while wearing brain activity monitors like EEGs, so I might have lost a mark for plausibility!
freetofly
I am proud I managed to write about 'My Super Sweet 16' in approaches. That's skill right there.

So happy its over. Hopefully I have gotten an A overall! :biggrin:

Yea I talked about big brother. Seemed quite relevant to being sociable.
Reply 50
Seems like us lot who did Q9 are in the minority! I did mostly behavioural approach. Then used evolutionary approach how if w perceive a situation to be dangerous for whatever reason we avoid that situations to preserve our genes. Very tenuous link but I couldn't think of anything else! Hopefully I have made up for marks elsewhere!
Joel103
Thought it was bit of alrite. Did Depression, focused on Genetics and Neurochemical/Permissive Amine, diathesis stress, bashed out a good six sides on that but my hand sort of bombed out on me at the end and my handwriting went real bad. Then did culture bias and think that went pretty well, approaches wasn't too hot, can never time exams but approaches was real bad, part a+b were ok, c wasn't full sentences but not shocking, d was like 2 lines, but two good lines :smile:. I finished off with "sorry about the handwriting". Think I need an A for an A overall, not too sure, had all A's in AS, full marks on coursework, but a C on the january exam, anyone what that would very roughly make me need for the exam just gone, tars very much.

Well, I have low As at AS, a middlish A on the coursework and a B in PYA4, and I need just above an A in PYA5 to get an A overall. Therefore, if your As at AS are higher than mine (say, 85+ each or when you average them out), them plus the full marks on coursework should mean that if you get an A on this paper you'll get a C overall. But even then, it will have to be a good A.
chris1200
Hmmm I wanted to do a more complicated study like that, but I worried it would show why people enjoyed be sociable, but instead just that they did. How did you show why? Chemical changes?

I said that they would take blood samples before and after each condition to test for adrenaline. And the basic idea behind my study is that my activities weren't too exciting, they just had a social aspect to them.
I did the depression question, talked about genetics/family studies/biochemical and Beck's cognitive theory. Went on the do SRS, as we never covered cultural bias properly, and question 9 about the superstition. I related it to phobias and applied the Behavioural and Psychodynamic.

Think I did ok :smile:
Reply 54
Two words for the paper - Loved It :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 55
I did the depression question. Talked about:

- Genetic Factors
- Neurotransmitter Dysfunction/Serotonin Levels
- Brain Dysfunction
- Freud's theory
- Seligman & Learnt Helplessness.
- Beck & the cognitive triad.

Totally forgot life events.
Having read some posts here I think I messed up. I quoted after genetic factors that it does run in families but can only explain it to a certain extent because of concordance rates being low in twins... shows has to be an environmental factor (DSM).
After describing serotonin I said it was down to biological processes but as Kennett pointed out it cannot be the only explanation. Has to be a psychological element.
After the cogintive triad and Butlin & Beck's (2002) meta-analysis of 14 studies in which 80% of adults responded positively to behavioural therapy. I said about the possible age differences there and an analysis on children and adolescents may have highlighted a possible age difference.
After describing the three psychological theories (That apply to mostly all cultures) I said it's a result as a mixture of both Psychological and Biological as the DSM points out, and that environmental stressors acts a trigger to those who are genetically vulnerable - I think that was my conclusion.

Life events would have been good for gender though with Brown and Harris's study.

So yeah I'm fretting now :frown:
Since you asked me to, I'm more than happy to give my opinion on what you've written :smile:
Lacrymosa
I did the depression question. Talked about:

- Genetic Factors
- Neurotransmitter Dysfunction/Serotonin Levels
- Brain Dysfunction
- Freud's theory
- Seligman & Learnt Helplessness.
- Beck & the cognitive triad.

That's more than enough, in my opinion. You've basically got enough different topics for most of a biological essay and all of a psychological essay. If you outlined and evaluated all of those, you'd pretty much have the whole thing covered.

Totally forgot life events.

I wasn't even taught life events. Just because other people have done something doesn't mean you should have done as well. As I've said, you've covered plenty of topics, and you don't have to cover everything.

Having read some posts here I think I messed up. I quoted after genetic factors that it does run in families but can only explain it to a certain extent because of concordance rates being low in twins... shows has to be an environmental factor (DSM).After describing serotonin I said it was down to biological processes but as Kennett pointed out it cannot be the only explanation. Has to be a psychological element.

All of that is fine, none of it's wrong.

After the cognitive triad and Butlin & Beck's (2002) meta-analysis of 14 studies in which 80% of adults responded positively to behavioural therapy. I said about the possible age differences there and an analysis on children and adolescents may have highlighted a possible age difference.

Yup, all of that's perfectly valid, and by putting in an age related eval point you've got one up on everyone else, because I think most people wouldn't have thought to put that in.

After describing the three psychological theories (That apply to mostly all cultures) I said it's a result as a mixture of both Psychological and Biological as the DSM points out, and that environmental stressors acts a trigger to those who are genetically vulnerable - I think that was my conclusion.

Good conclusion. It's pretty much the same thing as I wrote.

Life events would have been good for gender though with Brown and Harris's study.

Yes, but you got age in with the Butlin and Beck study, didn't you?

So yeah I'm fretting now :frown:

I don't think you've got anything to worry about :smile:
In fact, you've got me worrying, because I only did the two biological explanations and wrote loads about each of them, including outlining lots of genetic research findings and evaluating them as well. But I told my teacher what I'd written about, and she said that it was fine.

At the end of the day, that was a very open ended question. You could have written about anything, as long as you filled the space up. The examiners don't expect you to read their minds, all the question said was "Describe and evaluate explanations of depression. Refer to issues such as those raised in the above quotation". They didn't say how many explanations, what sort of explanations, how much you were supposed to refer to the quote, they were as vague as they possibly could be. Basically, as long as you fill the space and your descriptions and evaluations are thorough and valid, you've got full marks.
Reply 57
Did anyone do the Debates essay on reductionism? If so, what did you put in? I blagged my way through that one, didn't really know anything for it. Blabbed on a bit about how it has practical implications etc, etc.

Probably got about 6 on that one hahaha.
laced
Did anyone do the Debates essay on reductionism? If so, what did you put in? I blagged my way through that one, didn't really know anything for it. Blabbed on a bit about how it has practical implications etc, etc.

Probably got about 6 on that one hahaha.

I did that.. no idea why really.

Wrote about the three kinds of reductionism (methodology, explanation, philosophy), and then examples in psychological research (physiological - studies on dopamine & schizophrenia, environmental - studies on reinforcement and relationships). And then on to arguments for reductionism which was materialism, scientific method (and advantages of that) & erm.. something else which I can't remember, then the pros of using reductionism, examples in research, eg. what we've learned about mental illness & how that's improved treatment, removed stigma, etc.

Then the arguments against, which was the mind/body problem, research that shows that thoughts do have an influence on behaviour, that a causal relationship between physical events -> mental events is only assumed. And something about how the reductionist methodology does not always equate to real life (and research examples), and how meaning of behaviour can be lost if it is reduced to its lower levels and mentioned a study about Wolpe. Then something quick on Holism, and then a weird conclusion about reductionism in psychology depending on whether or not it should be viewed as a science, which relates to the mind/body problem & what th goal of psychology should be. And then something about how certain branches will probably always be reductionist (physiological, environmental) and how others won't be (Holism).

=/
mine was terrible! I was expecting schizo to come up so had focused on that, briefly looked over depression before going into the exam (although had studied it a little) and thought to myself 'the this comes up they better ask for psychological and not bio cause I found psychological explanations easier! Gutted, wrote about genetics and neurochemical and made up some neurobiological explanations lol. I forgot loads of the AO2 but got a fair bit of AO1 in.

I don't know what happened for cultural bias, I was so hoping it would come up and it did, wrote about five AO1 bits and then had a total mind blank, it was horrible :frown: Sat for about 20 minutes trying to remember what the page looked like, and eventually started sticking a few random bits and pieces in, checked after and had put a fair bit of AO1 but not as much AO2, and definitely not 30 marks worth.

Sort of waffled through question 8, got somethings right and somethings very very wrong lol. All in all I will be surprised if I get higher than a C, which is a huge blow as I need an A overall! I finished 30 mins early due to my mind blank and saw loads of people asking for extra paper...gutted lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending