The Student Room Group

MML at Cambridge

Hello,

I have just had my place confirmed to study MML at Kings college in Cambridge, do any current students there (or another Cambridge college) have any advice as to how to best prepare? I’ve already started leaning grammar in my ab initio language.
Reply 1
I didn't have much time to prepare until the summer before due to A levels. I wish I'd dedicated more time over the summer break to reading the texts for the literature module. There were about 6 for French and we only had 2 weeks to cover and complete an essay on each. There will be loads of new vocab so, for now, I recommend trying to read them (even an English translation if you can procure that, and want to ensure thorough understanding of the plot) and writing down all the new vocab to memorise in any way you find useful to you. It might also be helpful to recap on your A level grammar, no more is expected of you than that on arrival.

You'll be set summer work for your ab initio subject. For me (studying ab initio German), it was the first 4 chapters of the set textbooks. Looking over the grammar is never a bad thing. Duolingo should probably also give you a good foundation. I wouldn't stress too much though, don't burn out before you arrive. Everyone is in the same boat and your tutors won't expect fluency on arrival.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending