The Student Room Group

Help Please!!!!!!!!!!

Hi- my principal has suggested to me to carry on with another year of studying A Levels before i apply to cambridge. I am midway through applying right now. I am not an A Level retak student, but this year is my 3rd year of A Levels, i will have 6 A Levels after this year. Would cambridge not like the fact that i would have studied 4 years of A Levels (and probably have 8 or 9) by the time i go there?

Many thanks
Reply 1
faa
Hi- my principal has suggested to me to carry on with another year of studying A Levels before i apply to cambridge. I am midway through applying right now. I am not an A Level retak student, but this year is my 3rd year of A Levels, i will have 6 A Levels after this year. Would cambridge not like the fact that i would have studied 4 years of A Levels (and probably have 8 or 9) by the time i go there?

Many thanks

Not necessarily, there are hundreds of applicants like me who apply with 3 A-levels. If you have the grades then yeah its good but considering you will have 8 A-levels, thats the same as 2 A-levels every year, do you really want to spend another year doing A-levels?. Also grades aren't everything, you need more than that (which I'm not doubting you have) but if you really enjoy doing A-levels then go for it, it won't harm you taking another year out. :smile: :smile: :tsr:
Reply 2
faa

Many thanks

They would probably question you on it yes. I'd go for it this year, if its ment to be then its ment to be, if not, move on. There are better things in life than Cambridge. (although its a good uni) *he says as he prays he's accepted*
Reply 3
faa
OP
well its because im applying for economics, and unlike all the other applicants, im studying A Level economics over one year. Therefore i dont have AS background to take into the interview, and hes stated he doesnt want me comin out feeling ****e, and never being able to apply again.......

Do you know if oxbridge mind 20yr old applicants? I know they have mature students over 21, but 20 is like "not mature" but the eldest of normal A Level age......... if you see what i mean..........lol
Reply 4
faa
well its because im applying for economics, and unlike all the other applicants, im studying A Level economics over one year. Therefore i dont have AS background to take into the interview, and hes stated he doesnt want me comin out feeling ****e, and never being able to apply again.......

Do you know if oxbridge mind 20yr old applicants? I know they have mature students over 21, but 20 is like "not mature" but the eldest of normal A Level age......... if you see what i mean..........lol

Well if your 20 in all honesty I'd wait till you were classed as a mature student purely for the sake of simplicity. You can apply to mature colleges aswell and they'll be more people your age.
Reply 5
faa
... hes stated he doesnt want me comin out feeling ****e, and never being able to apply again.......

This may be stating the obvious, but you do know that you can reapply if you're unsuccessful, don't you?
Reply 6
faa

There's a couple of 20 year olds here. I really don't think it matters, and wouldn't have known if they hadn't told me.
Reply 7
faa
OP
RxB
There's a couple of 20 year olds here. I really don't think it matters, and wouldn't have known if they hadn't told me.

do you know how many years of a levels they have studied tho? i just feel slightly "off the pace" having done 4 years. My first 2 years only got me 3 A Levels in pointless (no offence to others) ICTx2 and Business Studies. However this year im doing maths, economics as stats and as further maths. then next year i could do philosophy and politics, plus a2 further maths.....
Reply 8
why not apply this year anyway then apply again next year if you don't get in?
Reply 9
if this is only your first year doing economics they are not going to quiz you about whats the technical definition of this. They want to see your line of thought more. Questions will be based such that non economists can answer them. Quite a few people at cambridge have not done economics before.

ALso, is 4 years of a levels really that good advice. I mean dont you think a tutor would look at that and think: 'oh, this person doesnt seem to be able move on, or does not want to'. Its only natural to move on and go to uni after 2 years of a levels, maybe 3, but not after 4.
Reply 10
faa

Many thanks

So u changed ur mind about doing 12 Modules of maths and A2 Economics in 1 year right?
Well i think its the right decesion! Unlike other unis, cambridge don't care if u ve done ur a-levels during 10 yrs as long as u have the 'potential' and be able to show it at the interview. Ur knowledge of AS economics won't really matter that much during ur interview because they won't judge u based on what u know about economics. They look for people who are smart...whether they ve done a-level economics or NOT.
However cambridge WONT make u an offer based on ur AVCEs.nor LSE,Warwick or UCL.

Lets say u went to Cambridge interview and they decided to make u an offer (AAA right?) but then can u get AA in A level Maths and F.Maths this year?
:rolleyes:
I remember Baz The money warning you about doing 12 modules of Maths in one year, It'd be extremly difficult if not impossible for anyone.
Reply 11
I really wouldn't bother with a fourth year of A-Levels. I mean, who wants to stay and do A-Levels when you can move onto more challenging, more stimulating and more interesting things? You're applying to Cambridge so you obviously are academically capable, and you have enough A-Levels as it is! - so what's stopping you? At the end of the day, are the amount of A-Levels really gonna make a difference to your application? If they'll accept people with 3 A-Levels I'm sure they'll consider you at least for an interview with six! I'm not sure A-Levels is really what they'll looking for, and anyway if you don't have the grades it don't matter how many A2s you got - but I'm presuming you got good grades. So just apply! Who wants to be stuck at school forever?

Btw Cambridge is famous for wanting to know how you think, not what your knowledge is (of course you'll need knowledge but you know what I mean) And I got a letter from Cambridge about my essays titles and interviews and they basically stressed a few times that they wanna know how I think and probably won't care just what I know or even understand! - which I'm kinda scared of but hey - it's not really knowledge they want. You'll need knowledge in order to debate well and think right lol but to do that you really don't need to spend four years on it? - apply. And reapply if you don't get in.
Reply 12
faa
OP
HamaL
So u changed ur mind about doing 12 Modules of maths and A2 Economics in 1 year right?
Well i think its the right decesion! Unlike other unis, cambridge don't care if u ve done ur a-levels during 10 yrs as long as u have the 'potential' and be able to show it at the interview. Ur knowledge of AS economics won't really matter that much during ur interview because they won't judge u based on what u know about economics. They look for people who are smart...whether they ve done a-level economics or NOT.
However cambridge WONT make u an offer based on ur AVCEs.nor LSE,Warwick or UCL.

Lets say u went to Cambridge interview and they decided to make u an offer (AAA right?) but then can u get AA in A level Maths and F.Maths this year?
:rolleyes:
I remember Baz The money warning you about doing 12 modules of Maths in one year, It'd be extremly difficult if not impossible for anyone.

im going to continue this year as normal, come the end i will have (fingers crossed) Maths, Economics, Business Studies, AVCE ICT 12 Unit, AS Further and AS Stats, then i will reapply next year. This way i will already have a level results and next year i can take a year out to work or something similar....

oh- i emailled all of the oxbridge colleges last night, and so far ive had about 10 replies, all of which say that doing a 4th year (if i was going to) wouldnt matter, it'd be fine................. I think the most i would do in a 4th year would be to finish of A2 further maths.......... and possibly do politics. but i doubt i;d do the fourth yr to be perfectly honest. i will apply next year for cam
Reply 13
it wouldnt matter but its also pointless. . .. wasting a year of your life tbh
Reply 14
faa
OP
if i do well at the end of this year, then i will cancel any offers ive accepted to apply for cam. If i dont do well- i wont. That way it will motivate me to do well in this years a levels.............
Reply 15
faa
OP
if i do well at the end of this year, then i will cancel any offers ive accepted to apply for cam. If i dont do well- i wont. That way it will motivate me to do well in this years a levels............. i will have proved myself worthy of applying, as right now ive faulty gcse's because of illness.
Reply 16
faa
if i do well at the end of this year, then i will cancel any offers ive accepted to apply for cam. If i dont do well- i wont. That way it will motivate me to do well in this years a levels............. i will have proved myself worthy of applying, as right now ive faulty gcse's because of illness.

If you accept an offer, it would be bad form not to take it. And it just seems so pointless to waste a year making an application which has at least as much chance being unsuccessful as being successful. Why don't you just do your A levels and move on to university as soon as possible?
Faa, haven't you applied to Cambridge? If so, why bother about reapplication if you don't even know if you've been rejected yet!?

Latest

Trending

Trending