The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
TSRreader
I think Brown is the least selective out of all the Ivies. But I wonder why though.

Least selective? I thought that award went to Cornell. Easiest to get into but hardest to get out.

Brown has a very selective process that is on par with HYP. The school is very similar to HYP, but just lacks the international recognition.

The similar Ivies in my opinion are: Harvard, Yale, Princeton....slight gap then Brown and Dartmouth.

Cornell, Columbia and Penn are huge and lack the traditional New England prep school vibe (I think its because they're not located in NE). They're all great schools but are missing the qualities that encompass the Ivies.

Brown and Dartmouth share many similarities with the big three, but they've also built up their own identity to be distinguished outside of the traditional big three.

Then again, one can argue that Harvard is really becoming non-traditional and like Columbia in the sense that it's a disconnected campus. Yale and Princeton seem to be the last hold-outs of real tradition within the Ivies.
Reply 61
TSRreader
I think Brown is the least selective out of all the Ivies. But I wonder why though.

Ah! Actually this is where Cornell takes the crown of having the highest acceptance rate and the lowest acceptance standards. Thanks to having dozens of incredibly obscure and useless majors in the College of Agricultural Life Sciences and the School of Industrial and Labor Relations and the completely idiotic "guaranteed transfer" system, Cornell admits a hilariously high number of students (many of whom don't survive all that well).

edit: hahaha forgot about the Hotel School. Yes we have an entire school dedicated to hotels. And it's inside a hotel. (Very nice though, lovely rooms) But it's rated #1 at least, out of oh I dunno like 3 hotel schools in the whole world -_-...

Although admit. rate has gone down in the past few years, some majors still sustain a 30, 40+% figure which really helps to inflate the overall rate. Also, being partially public means that we give preference to New York students (they say they don't but any moron with a calculator can see that's not true)who are not necessarily up-to-par with regular standards.

Brown has a suprisingly excellent track record of sending students into great graduate schools. Brown is the second highest feeder into Wharton MBA after, well, Wharton.
Reply 62
I got the idea that Brown was less selective by that many of my classmate got into Brown but not Columbia, HYP and to some extent Cornell.
Reply 63
It is fairly famous to be honest. Animal house is written by various Dartmouth Alum on their experiences, and as someone mentioned earlier, the fictional Michael Corleone went to Dartmouth. In business, the affluent Hank Paulson, both current secretary of the treasury and past CEO of Goldman Sachs, overall some pretty high fliers from Dartmouth, but from what i can see, no presidents yet.

Latest

Trending

Trending