The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I would say yes.

However have you considered taking a language instead of maths? Such as French or German (If you have a GCSE and are good at it of course)
I always thought a foreign language was good for Law.

If you are happy with maths though, then yes =)
I'd say maths and politics are spot on, but unfortuantely both business and sociology are not looked upon very favourably so I'd advise keeping one of them (perhaps sociology) and changing the other perhaps to a language, english or something like psychology
Reply 3
Erm.....not ideal.

Many students will take traditional essay based subjects (english lit, history, philosophy) and they do have an attraction to universities, as well as providing an important tool in allowing a student to develop their analytical skills. So all arts, or a comdination of art and science, subjects is the more common route. That doesn't mean that all science and social science A-levels needs to be a major problem.

Most of the top unis will exepct the student to have traditional subjects, subjects with signigicant academic and theoretical content. I believe Kings ask for "75%" academic content. So, on that basis: -

Maths - great
Politics - OK
Sociology - OK(ish)
Business studies - no

Business studies needn't be a problem if you were dropping it after AS. Even then, Maths, politics and sociology A-levels isn't a great combination. To take history, english lit or a science in place of sociology may not be a bad idea at all. It really depends on your own interest and academic strengths though.

Any idea which one you were thinking of dropping after AS, if any?
Reply 4
sc15

If you are happy with maths though, then yes =)

If any of those subjects are problematic it's not maths.
If you did want to do law..

Maths
Economics (business studies)
History
English Lit

seems to be a good set of subjects
Cheers, Maybe I'll do History instead of Business Studies, then Drop Sociology after AS?

trance addict
If you did want to do law..

Maths
Economics (business studies)
History
English Lit

seems to be a good set of subjects

Yeah, The problem is that I can only choose one out of Economics, History, Eng Lit or Business Studies as they all in the same box that I have to choose from :mad: Kinda frustrating!
Makaveli_The_Don
Cheers, Maybe I'll do History instead of Business Studies, then Drop Sociology after AS?

Yeah, The problem is that I can only choose one out of Economics, History, Eng Lit or Business Studies as they all in the same box that I have to choose from :mad: Kinda frustrating!

wow your college is ****
trance addict
wow your college is ****

Gotta agree with you there lol
Reply 9
Deffinitely do maths - respected.

I wouldn't go for sociology, perhaps english lit or history ? If they are in the right boxes that is (my school do this method too, its very restricting)
going to seem a bit drastic, but can't you consider another college?
Maths, Sociology, History and Politics would be a good combination. You'd be looking to drop any of them but History really after AS. I doubt anywhere would mind if you had Maths A level or not, it's just more favourable for a competitive course such as Law. Although realistically, it could just as easily be replaced with any othe respectable A level, such as English Literature, or a foreign language, or a science.
Reply 12
Stick with Maths and Politics.

The other two I'd change to History, and something like French or Economics.
How perfect would history be for this???
Reply 14
River85
If any of those subjects are problematic it's not maths.

Sorry, you learn something new everyday :smile:

Latest